What's a flower boy?

In a novel I was reading, it was saying that “flower boy” meant “playboy”.
I didn’t know it could also mean that, but I couldn’t find any source about that.
Anyone?

The history of flower boys I could find was pretty interesting. Who knew it had different meanings before and today!

• before, “flower boy” meant:
1) The elite hwarang (Shilla from 57 BC - 935 AD)

Back then, a flower boy was part of the cultural and military elite called hwarang.
The characters literally mean ‘flower boy’ (花郞: 花 Hua in Chinese = flower and 郞 lang in Chinese = gentleman).
Trained from a young age and well-versed in poetry and in the art of war, these flower boys were like their kingdom’s heroes whose mission was to protect Shilla from Koguryo kingdom and even sacrificing themselves during battles.

2) Those "whose lifestyles were considered too decadent" (after Silla unified Korea)

“A prejudice rooted in the hwarang’s use of make-up to enhance their features.”

“Growing up extremely isolated with little to no exposure to women other than their family, it is not strange to imagine that homosexual relations developed among the ranks of these young men. Thus, the term was applied to those men who displayed behaviour that was considered ‘feminine’, including the use of make-up and displays of intimate affection toward other men.”

With this, people began to forget about the original meaning and existence of “hwarang” as heroes or idols. All people, except the yangban, educated nobles who had access to the Samguk Yusa, a book in which the hwarang’s life was notably described.

3) Symbol of resistance (Japan colonisation 1910-1945)

The original meaning 1) came back with the Japanese colonisation (1910-1945).

• now, “flower boy” is:
4) A kkotminam 꽃미남, a delicate, slightly feminine-looking boy.

Literally “a man with the beauty of a flower”.
The source refers to the character’s name Go Mi Nam with Go Mi Nyeo (nyeo 녀 meaning ‘girl’) as the female equivalent in the Kdrama You’re Beautiful. I didn’t even notice that!

From 1) to 4), the source doesn’t really know why “flower boy” has this definition now.

Maybe, because old books enhanced their beauty and not their military prowess.
Or maybe, because Japanese feminisation of young men influenced Korea.

“(In Japan) before the 1950s no man set foot in the kitchen except as a professional chef. From 1950, however, men who cooked at home for their families crept into Japanese gastronomic novels, and in 1980 a gourmet boom took place with a growth in the number of men making their own bentou, or lunch boxes. This can be seen as a ‘feminisation’ of young men ( danshi translates as ‘boy’), also because danshi gohan (cooking for men) contrasted wildly with otoko ryori (lit. Men’s cooking), the latter of which was considered more adventurous. This ‘adventurousness’ was considered a typical men’s prerogative, but with the rising popularity of danshi gohan among men, the adventurous cooking made way for healthy, cheap, and carefully prepared meals.”

“Another factor is the boys presented in Japanese comics targeted at girls ( shoujo ). In these comics young men are often portrayed as large-eyed, fair-skinned and impeccably stylish. They are generally considerate and sweet regarding the heroine, acting as their best friend and confidant, eventually developing into a love interest. These men, known as bishounen , can also be cold and cruel, in which case it is a major plot point for the heroine to win him over.”

Bishounen on Wikipedia

Bishōnen (美少年, also transliterated About this sound bishounen (help·info)) is a Japanese term literally meaning “beautiful youth (boy)” and describes an aesthetic that can be found in disparate areas in East Asia: a young man of androgynous beauty. This word originated from the Tang dynasty poem Eight Immortals of the Wine Cup by Du Fu.[1] It has always shown the strongest manifestation in Japanese pop culture, gaining in popularity due to the androgynous glam rock bands of the 1970s,[2] but it has roots in ancient Japanese literature, the homosocial and homoerotic ideals of the medieval Chinese imperial court and intellectuals, and Indian aesthetic concepts carried over from Hinduism, imported with Buddhism to China.[3] Today, bishōnen are very popular among girls and women in Japan.[3] Reasons for this social phenomenon may include the unique male and female social relationships found within the genre. Some have theorized that bishōnen provide a non-traditional outlet for gender relations. Moreover, it breaks down stereotypes surrounding feminine male characters. These are often depicted with very strong martial arts abilities, sports talent, high intelligence, dandy fashion, or comedic flair, traits that are usually assigned to the hero/protagonist.[4]

Somewhere else, I read that flower boy in Spanish was also an insult. [1][2]

Any idea?

2 Likes

that about covers it,

1 Like

that’s interesting…though right now it’s a name for just pretty boys

In one of the most popular K dramas at viki, when the follower-ship figures were on screen for all viewers, there were more followers than any other drama on this site, the F4 were described in the Korean press as F4 “꽃미남”. It does not imply that the person is effeminate. It simply implies he is as good-looking as a flower is beautiful.

1 Like

Almost Paradise!

Japanese influence.
Boys Over Flowers is an adaption of a japanese shoujo manga “Hana Yori Dango”.
I found that the Jdrama adaption of the shoujo was pretty good, except that they erased part of the imperfections of Rui, he is darker than that. Maybe to maintain his image of a nice boy on screen.
The visuals were better in the Jdrama than on 2D, obviously!

The Kdrama was a deception for me because of the Jdrama.

1 Like

I’ve found an interesting thing about “hana yori dango”, which is an japanese saying. But it is only at German Wikipedia, so i needed a little help for translation.

" Hana yori dango (jap. 花より団子, engl. “prefer dumplings to flowers”) is a Japanese proverb. It means something like “practicality takes precedence over aestetics”. With a slightly ironic tinge, it sums up the reality of the lower classes, who cannot effort the high aestetic of the higher classes. …

And in Hana yori dango, the Manga they changed dumpling (だんご) into boy(s): 男子. It sounds exactly the same.

3 Likes

Thanks for the links! It’s really a pity for foreigners not to be able to read them in English.

They say it also can be heard as:

• Pudding before praise (I never heard of this one!)
  • Better have meat than fine clothes

It’s a funny proverb!

Another example:
“In spring, the Japanese traditionally go to the countryside or parks for flower viewing (hanami). However, they often seem to be more interested in eating or drinking alcohol than appreciating the beauty of the flowers. It is an example of the fickle nature of humans.”

2 Likes

“When she saw me, I went to her and became a flower.”
Mr. Queen, Ep 4, around min 51.

A scene with a female servant, btw. My déjà-vu for today.

1 Like

ok y’all tgalk about the flower boys, so whats with not saying flower girls???

1 Like

girls are mostly portrayed as pretty and cute so there’s no point keeping ‘flower girls’…however, you will find cute little flower girls at a wedding :joy::sweat_smile:

1 Like

ok ok, so I knew that, but gosh, a guy just looks cute is all at least in my book, no crushes, I am too old for that stuff, but hey I still like to see the “Kids” look good be they male or female

1 Like

Michael J. Seth writes in his book “A History of Korea: From Antiquity to the Present”: The wonhwa [“original flowers,” female leaders of the hwarang] were first presented at the court in the thirty-seventh year [576] of King Jinheung. At first the king and his officials were perplexed by the problem of finding a way to discover talented people. They wished to have people disport themselves in groups so that they could observe their behavior and thus elevate the talented among them to positions of service. Therefore two beautiful girls, Nammo and Junjeong, were selected, and a group of some three hundred people gathered around them. But the two girls competed with one another. In the end, Junjeong enticed Nammo to her home and, plying her with wine till she was drunk, threw her into a river. Junjeong was put to death. The group became discordant and dispersed. Afterward, handsome youths were chosen instead.
—from the Samguk sagi 4:40

The flower girl may symbolize the bride as a child in her innocence, as she is typically a young girl dressed similarly to the bride. She may also symbolize wishes for fertility for the couple and the forming of their new family.

2 Likes

ohh…I’ve been one many times but never knew all that meaning behind it!!

ok here ya go!!

am I bad??

1 Like

did you make that?? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

not this one

1 Like