What's your Viki story?

@angelight313_168 Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:

I didn’t realise there was more than one Tunnel ! Actually that’s not strictly true. I watched the Time Travel one with Choi Jin-Hyuk (who after watching Rugal as well has become my favourite actor) and then did also watch what I believe was a Thai (?) version.

I’m just completely obsessed with all things Korean now :smiley:

My orginal bucket list for places to visit was:

1: Tokyo
2: Los Angeles
3: New York.

But now my list is:

1: South Korea
2: South Korea
3: South Korea …haha

I just wish I was a good learner/student because I’d dearly love to learn Korean so that I could watch them without subtitles :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Welcome! I also am a fan of Choi Jin Hyuk. If you haven’t watched them already, I would recommend these.

5 Likes

@choitrio Thanks :slight_smile:

I have just finished watching Zombie Detective and loved it. The only downside for me with Korean shows, is that they don’t often make more than one series of something which is a real shame.

I thought Rugal could easily have had another series, as could Zombie Detective and Tunnel.

5 Likes

I read somewhere they were going to make a second season of zomby detective

1 Like

@mrbungle85_573, @frustratedwriter, at one point there was a talk of second season but the latest I read is that it got cancelled and they are hoping to be picked up by another broadcaster. “Zombie Detective” was one of my very first dramas I translated so I enjoyed it both as a viewer and a translator. To be honest though, I am not sure if a second season would be as interesting as the first since the fun part of the first season was watching the zombie trying to adjust to human life. But with the same cast of actors, perhaps it is possible.

6 Likes

I guess you are right, the second season would lose some of what we got in the first season, oh well…

2 Likes

@choitrio well first of all thank you for your hard work doing translations :slight_smile: I’m sooooooo jealous. I wish I could speak Korean. But I need to find someone local to me. I need to be responsible to someone and have to report back to them in order for me to learn and stay focused.

Shame there might not be a second series though. I think they could have done some fun things with the same cast, but them now knowing he is a Zombie and so exploiting his abilities :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My first experience of overseas content came from watching anime on Crunchyroll. Something tells me I’m probably not alone in this?

After this I started watching overseas content on Netflix. I think the first overseas content. I watched on Netflix was a Spanish drama, although I can’t remember precisely which one. After some time I was eventually led here. Because I don’t have the best memory I can’t remember what my first Kdrama was.I can remember the first one that binged watched and that was…

I think I have been a Viki customer since October 2019 (I will have to doublecheck that) but I know that I came across viki a couple of years before that. But back then there was only a few hundred titles in the viki UK library , so I didn’t create an account back then. I think that Viki is a service that would be more popular in various different places around the world if more people knew about it . It might then be able to better compete with Netflix for content licenses. That being said , Viki has attracted media attention once or twice in the UK.

At the end of the day. It doesn’t matter where content comes from as long as there is subtitles available to enable the viewers to understand what they are watching.

8 Likes

Should I revive this thread? Well, It all started when my sister suggested I watch K-dramas to lighten my stress. The first drama was The Heirs, on NFX. I watched it and I was amused by how well they acted, their style was amazing. Also, the light-hearted scenes attracted me.
Then my second drama was Boys Over Flower which I watched on Viki( because of network issues NFX did not work much when I was at home).
Then, I watched many shows, from one show to another, it was new, refreshing and amazing.
I often used to get confused about the title-Global TV powered by fans” while opening the app. Basically, I had no clue that the subtitles are translated by Volunteers, never bothered to wonder. But then, one day, I was watching this Variety Show Traveler, The subtitles of that show were so aesthetic that I fell in love with that series instantly. Then one day I was watching a show with my mum and she does not know Korean and English, it felt bad. One of my friends was also not comfortable with English so she could not watch the drama I suggested her. After this, I decided to contribute in Hindi. I wanted my friends to enjoy the Korean Shows/ Asian content as much as I did. So yeah, I applied and got my first gig on the channel "See you after Quarantine’’. I subbed that web drama alone and learned about how to subtitle. Then in my second project, Blue Birthday @shraddhasingh guided me well and subbing started to look like fun, where I can learn and watch dramas simultaneously.
In my third project, which was An Incurable case of love, there was no Hindi team, I was again subbing it alone but it is a 10 episode J-drama and I had not much time so I decided to apply to be the Hindi moderator and build a team. The drama was completed within 3 months, Thanks to my team. And currently, I am working as a Hindi moderator for my favourite series- Traveler and one on-air show, Ocean Likes me.

9 Likes

I cannot recall how I found out about Viki since it’s been so long (around 2013 or something). It must have popped up in the comments under crunchy roll, aznvTV, mysoju or some old drama threads lol I wanted to help sub Thai lakorns because the shows from that time were really popular but there weren’t that many subbers or platforms that featured Thai lakorns. When I started on Viki it was a challenge to choose shows. As soon as I finished 1 show the demand grew exponentially. Like I mentioned, there weren’t a whole lot of fluent subbers. So the subbers that were working on current projects were bombarded with requests from CMs and viewers. Back then, licensing wasn’t a requirement. A lot of Thai lakorns were introduced as “fan channels.” CMs retrieved the raw episodes from outside sources and uploaded them themselves. After that, the teams starts working on it. (Pretty much just like how it is now.)

Of course, we don’t have fan channels anymore. All shows must be licensed before being available. The number of Thai lakorns decreased immensely which is a loss because there are so many more genres outside of Thai BL.

I disappeared from Viki around 2016 (only popping in to check once in a while) and then completely left up until Oct. 2021 when I came back. Currently back to “subbing” but nowadays, the lakorns come “pre-subbed” so I just TE/mod/edit whatever you want to call it. :smile:

*p.s. I never saw this thread till now.

8 Likes