When voice and image are out of synch, which do you segment to?

Let’s make an example. Beethoven Virus, episodes 3,4,7 are out of synch. And not by some split seconds, but as much as 8 seconds. Late enough to have the sound coming from the mouth of the next person speaking, which apart from annoying, it can make it extremely confusing, you don’t know who is saying what.
This is something that cannot be fixed, from what I know - short of uploading the video again.

So the question is: since nobody cares enough to upload a new video, and we have to make do with what we have, you as a segmenter, do you segment following the sound, the voices, or do you segment (and subtitle) following what you see?

I’ve seen that in this particular case it is segmented with the voice, but then it’s so confusing, I would rather see the subtitles, at least, follow what you see.

What is everybody’s opinion?

We’re fixing to voice.

I’ve seen that, and it’s super confusing!
By the way, shouldn’t viki upload another video where there isn’t this synch problem?

1 Like

You should report the problem to Viki so they can adjust it.

2 Likes

I just had a brief look at Episode 3 .At about timestamp 3:00-3:29 the video freezes the picture. This is a technical problem that Viki staff needs to fix with the video. I wouldn’t adjust anything until Viki is able to work on it.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m Kristie from the Community Support team.

Thanks for bringing this situation to our attention. I’ve just alerted our team of the situation and we will be working to fix the issue as soon as possible and I will update you as soon as it’s fixed.

Also, if you see any videos with audios that are out of sync, please let us know by writing in to our Help Center through this link. Thank you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Episode 16 also has issues of freezing etc. in its second half. I tried refreshing, closing the browser and opening again etc. to no avail.
https://www.viki.com/videos/1339v-beethoven-virus-episode-16

Occasionally Demigods is doing something like that and it’s only the segment timer. Subtitle editor for some reason is NOT freezing. You’ll be adjusting a segment…get the swirly “wait for me” thing…rolling without cease…and maybe you get to move again 1 more pace in 1-2 minutes.

One way I can get out of this on my video (before I reach for 12 feet of white silk…) is to go to team discussion, then subtitle editor, and THEN back. This tends to clear it and then the segment timer starts acting “normal”.

I would say too that we have to use the voice - and that the segments and voice are linked anyway - right? if the Video is not correctly in touch with the audio, the hard subs if they exist are also an annoying mess trying to read the new subs…

Anyway I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Crouching Dieter, Hidden Donut
(and if this editing on the one drama does NOT improve…“hitting the silk” will get a WHOLE new meaning… virtually, of course…)

Ok one comic remark here. I can’t help but think back to Gene Kelly’s “Singing in the Rain” where the audio is out of sync and the girl and villain are yelling “NO, NO, NO” “YES, YES, YES” from the wrong mouths…

Sorry. :slight_smile:

CD, HD

2 Likes

Hi @irmar, thank you for letting me know. I’ve updated the engineers and they’re fixing it along with the other episodes as well.

Hi there @deadliftdiva_548, I’m sorry that you’re having issues with the segment timer on Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils. I’ve just contacted you through the Help Center. Thank you for letting us know about it.

1 Like

Sure, really appreciate the help :). I can say it’s still doing it tonight - I just logged out of there a couple of minutes ago. (sigh). 2 am Denver time.

I have some suspicion that given our title it might be deus ex machina…(GRIN) yeah that one was definitely there…and I hope you don’t have a “devil of a time” getting them out. :slight_smile: No applause, just throw (fresh, soft) donuts…

Linda/the commenter known as Crouching Dieter, Hidden Donut
Channel Manager
Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils (and the Mighty Condor too. :slight_smile: Prequel + Sequel!)

Hi @irmar, @bjohnsonwong, our team has re-uploaded the videos which should resolve the issues in Episode 3, 4, 7, and 16 of Beethoven Virus. If you continue to experience issues with it, please let me know! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! I’ll go and check today!

1 Like

You can request they remove the hard subs of the video in the view mode for everyone else BUT PLEASE PLEASE DO LEAVE THE HARDSUBS IN THE EDITOR VERSIONS. (when you guys are done of course. The team also likes to use it the chi-eng team)

Us non-chinese major Koreans rely on it to look up each and every single darn character to make out what things are when we are lost… it is like our north star and our chinese too basic to use maplestage for example.

We discussed this privately -and no, I haven’t had the hard subs taken off either drama.

we need all the help we can get, I think we’ve hit the double digits on Tang Dynasty poems and other things we need to figure out in a major way… :slight_smile:

CD, HD