Why are people leaving reviews on dramas NOT WATCHED!

If you need help please put the links in that would make it easier.

1 Like

They’re visible to me on the website now, and I’ve downvoted and flagged each and every one for True Beauty and, for Search, those who wrote them before ep.1 was available on October 17th, plus the subwhiners of course, for the first 40 out of 75 pages starting from the beginning. With the new shitty layout, there are very few reviews on each page, and you have to keep going to the next page.

1 Like

looks like theres still a problem, with me watching the dramas on Roku, there are times that I just wait till I finish the drama before I get onto viki and then leave a review, I do try my best to do this don’t think I have missed any. got sdome new dramas that I will be watching this month, so more reviews coming up!

Something very interesting happened today. I don’t know whether it’s only me…
I went to the page of “18 Again” which is, as you know, “Coming Soon”. There are lots of reviews there, many by people who have watched it elsewhere, because it’s already been aired and finished. So far so good.
I went there because I also watched it “elsewhere”, I loved it and I wanted to write a review.
Surprise! The button for writing a review was nowhere to be seen. They must have taken it away recently, otherwise how did those existing reviews get written?
Maybe they only left the option at the end of the episodes, and since there are no episodes yet, you cannot access this button otherwise?
That would be a welcome change indeed, but I don’t dare be happy unless you people confirm that it’s the same for everybody and not just a glitch from my browser. I mean, they would have told us about it in the “Viki Update” post, right? And the latest review was from January 3rd, yesterday. I don’t know. Can you go have a look?

1 Like

I don’t see any button to add reviews either. This might be a good change though if not a random glitch.

1 Like

The problem with sub-whiners has subsided, now that most new shows come pre-subbed, some of them even in Spanish and Portuguese. But the crazy fans of the male lead, and those who think it’s okay to leave a review after the first couple of episodes, have not subsided at all. When will Viki decide to disable reviews until the show has completely aired?
The following were written after only three episodes, and some of the reviewers hadn’t even watched all three of them. Are these reviews?

review 11

1 Like

There are some shows I dropped watching because they were that bad. I’d like an opportunity to then review the drama, with the reason why I did that.

Otherwise the reviews would be skewed towards a more positive grade.

2 Likes

Let’s say you watch the first five episodes of a show. You find that the plot falls flat, the characters are one dimensional, the direction is awful and the dialogue seems to be written by a petulant child. Given these conditions, it’s not okay for you to stop watching said show and express your opinion of what a spectacular disaster the show was during those five episodes?

If reviews are only based on watching the whole show, then they will be disproportionately be positive. (I would hope) Not many sit through an entire show thinking the first few episodes were horrible, let’s experience it fully.

Ideally, if you only watched five episodes, you’d start your review with something like: This review is based on the first five episodes.

1 Like

There are the comments for that.
Or, as a compromise, at least close it for the first 4-6 episodes. I think that 4-6 episodes are usually enough to see whether it’s worth continuing or not.
Of course, many shows start well and go south from the middle onwards, or in the last few episodes (known in k-drama as "the curse of episodes 13-15). Will the reviewers come back to change their review, though? Most people don’t bother!
But in the opposite case, when it’s bad since the beginning, it’s very rare that it redeems itself after episode 5. Too late!

Ideally, we should have, as Mydramalist has, reviews and ratings by episode. From what I’ve seen, the reviews by episode are not used much, but ratings yes. And you can see a line chart, how the people reacted to each episode.
Generally, they are so well-organized! Apart from the fact that you cannot watch dramas there, LOL!

2 Likes

If written correctly, it’s not a comment but a critique which should be fine. Why should that be relegated to the comment section? ‘Reviews’ like ‘OMG my fav celeb is totally like on this show! 12/10 but 10, since that’s all I can give. :smile:’ should not be comparable.
ratings

Something like this would be better than just having 1 rating.

Might be a standard for review/discussion websites. I’m not aware of any streaming sites doing so.
Viki used to have a different comment section per episode. Guess it’s easier to have it consolidated.

1 Like

Sadly they dropped it to follow the NFX visual “immersion” style where, once you enter the player, you cannot get out unless you go on the drama’s home page again. Which feels very claustrophobic to me, but it seems it’s the trend.

1 Like