Why bother with vikipass?

For your information, Viki is a part of Rakuten, one of the ten biggest Internet Companies worldwide. I won’t make a list of all their business partners :slight_smile:

Why beeing a part of Warner leeds to many more expenses than Viki in regards to being global, this sense still escapes me.

And there are many reasons, why some channels may drop their work. Many of the older channels are so called fan channels. The channel managers could upload the episodes, but this function was disabled due to license issues. Many channels uploaded half of the episodes and had to stop working on the subtitles. Most of them will be deleted until summer.

Because all subtitlers are volunteers, you cannot force them to work. If they have to stop due to life, work, family, university, school, you can only accept and say, “Thank you for your work!”

4 Likes

Yeah after wading through this mess and all the hypocrisy I think I’ll join you.

I have to agree on that. Often native speakers of the original language (Korean, Chinese etc.) don’t know good English, so it is the work of the English Editor to correct and polish the subs, but there are not that many good English editors, and they are spread thin. (The situation is much worse for other languages)
The quality varies among shows. Some are excellent, some not so much, and yes, you can also find awkward subs (I have been leading a whole campaign against awkward Korean-style word order) and also terrible subs at times.
In the case of on-air shows, it may simply mean that you have watched the episode too quickly, and the English Editor hasn’t had the time to correct the original Ko-En or Chin-En subber. In this case, the only cure is to wait for another day, and the language will be corrected.
Of course it’s not the only case. All English editors are perfect, far from it. I’ve also seen some terrible syntax and grammar (Glykeria, you were mean to pick on what was obviously a typo…) on old shows, and these stay “forever”.
But, judging from the shows I’ve watched, the quality of the English subtitles has been getting better and better in the past years. I’m not sure why - maybe because there has been an increase in the overall number of volunteers, among whom probably more good editors.

Coming back again to all the other languages offered by viki… If it were to pay for translators, it would obviously be only for English translators, because if it also chose to get paid professionals for some other popular languages (say 8, like French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian, Indonesian, Tagalog, Romanian?), then the costs would really soar, and the poor viki cats would only see the fancy hats in their dreams. Of course you would only want them to hire English ones, because from your writings I get the impression that to you English is the only thing that matters.

Mind you, I’m not saying that it’s not exasperating when a show is not fully subtitled. It has happened to me too, and I’m not happy when it happens. But well, in that case I either find another show of the many available or, if I’m really so keen to watch this particular one, I go look for it elsewhere where it is available for free (I won’t go into details here, but we all know where to look when needed).
That I love viki and I consider it my home does not mean that I am not free to also roam elsewhere, and I frequently do when something is not available here. Even your favourite restaurant has an off day, so will you starve on that day?

Well, as I said… this makes sense, from your perspective. So…
Time toooo say goodbyyyye

For me ads are very annoying. Especially viki ads which come in the middle of the show. I just hate it. It may be I’m spoiled. Adblocker used to solve all this until a little while ago, but now you cannot use adblocker not only on viki but on other video streaming sites as well. So annoying for us but yeah, I understand that they need the ad revenue.
After years and years of ad-free internet I resent it when, on those other “illegal” sites, whenever I want to watch an episode, I am flooded with offers to date “beautiful Slavic girls” with enormous boobs. Because I happen to be a straight woman, so… really not interested.
By the way, and off-topic: the people choosing ads, are they stupid? How many men are watching Korean rom-coms? There are a few, I know, but surely a tiny minority. Shouldn’t I be seeing women-targeted ads there, and the big boobs only on action dramas and thrillers? (Sorry Glykeria, you’d still get the Slavic girls in this scenario) On the other hand, I get to watch the video for free, so I don’t really have a right to complain.

10 Likes

I have read several times now through your post and the only message I can filter out there is:

I have paid and do not get subtitles in time or in good quality.

So this is a point which might offend all the volunteers working on those projects here on Viki.

This sounds for me as you have not read what a Viki Pass was offering and you just expected something which was not part of the contract; a problem which is hitting many people. Later on you said you are sorry if you offended someone; words are said easily but cannot be taken back. In future time, it might be wise to be aware of what you really want to say instead of wrapping it through several layers of information which are, at the end, not very relevant for the topic.
It will spare you and other people of anger if words are considered before written and published; by “you” I mean the general you and not you in person.

In addition, you cannot compare a company with another, that would be like asking, why you have to pay for one apple 1€ in shop A but only 50 Cents in shop B.

So what is left?

You are disappointed that you do not get complete subtitled dramas even you paid for a Viki Pass where a guarantee is explicitely not given that you will receive subtitles in time as this is a project of volunteers and you seem do not understand why this is different here at Viki because somewhere else you get subtitles very quickly.
So for payment issues or unhappiness with your Viki Pass you should contact Viki via the help center.

This is the link for giving feedback about your unhappiness:
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

7 Likes

The first time it’s a typo, that’s why I let it go. A recurring typo ceases to be just a typo. Especially in context.

No, actually. I get the chocolate abs. My laptop is well-bred and highly trained.

Beautiful Slavic girls with enormous boobs - you made my day! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think you chose to see the glass half empty and to ignore the positive side of a Viki Pass. All the popular dramas (when licensed) are always subbed quickly and regarding the unfinished projects, we’re aware of that issue and we already tried to find a solution about it. (special badge, special event, etc.)

I advise you to indeed cancel your Viki Pass if you’re not satisfied and to see what’s better for you. Personally, I prefer having the best subtitles and don’t believe me if you want but the best are here at Viki.

2 Likes

Hm… Or… you have given more information about you than I have? My son tells me that I don’t need to be paranoid and cover my tracks so much, and if one is going to get ads anyway, why not interesting ones? Maybe he has a point.

2 Likes

I was joking, I thought the “highly trained” part gave me away. :slight_smile:

…Mostly.

Well, one CAN train laptops, tweak them to behave the way you like. That’s why it didn’t register with me as a strange thing. I have been known to talk to my laptop.
They also respond to being cursed. And sometimes they have a difficult day, so it’s best to just shut them down and turn on again, to completely solve whatever problem.

2 Likes

I’ve been known to curse, sweet-talk, console and threaten my laptop. I know what you mean.

1 Like

FYI I segment and subtitle ANYTHING THAT IS AUDIBLE while I have witnessed paragraphs get unsubtitled for oh… 8 weeks on the dramafever website. XD

I was laughing very hard.

5 Likes

Wow, this indeed is a long time. Wasn’t it mentioned that those people even get paid? o.O :scream:
Maybe they go on vacation AND buy fancy hats for their cats there… Otherwise I could not explain this state of fact gg

I am happy that Viki is offering the dramas for a wide spread community and not only North America. Even I do not watch very often but those I watch I was always happy with.

4 Likes

See, @glykeria, “fancy hats for cats” has become a meme!
https://media.tenor.co/images/b57699f302b3350f62a93a8af6d9a721/tenor.gif

11 Likes

You complained about how slow Viki subtitles are but you don’t know that Viki price not includes subtitles so that it’s cheap. Viki subtitles may be “slow” but it’s in high quality. DF maybe BIG COMPANY but their subtitles often release very fast. So how comes the translation is correct? For example, in “Strong Woman Do Bong Soon”, I can see the translation is so bad in DF so that I can see that part of the drama is not funny whereas it’s funny :joy: when I see in Viki subtitles. Briefly, subtitles are made by humans, even if a drama takes a thousand lines of subtitles, but excluding the time for segments will take more times. You may mention subtitles but you forget segments. For segmenters, I’m feel very thankful because it’s very patient job because they invest their own time in life to do timing. Segment really takes a lot of time than subtitles. Some people may ask why volunteers do the job. It’s a problem of give and take.

3 Likes

I sure hope I wasn’t that bad!!! yeah dale, theres a lot of shows that don’t have the subs, do you know anything about these volunteers ?? need to find out. I did, oh yeah I really thought of cancelling too, BUT if you go to Drama fever ,say, sometimes the subs are missing. here theres usually a day wait, reminder time zones are different. wow I am standing up for Viki! hey the people have a life, they go to school and sometimes they do 1-3 subbings of different shows. oh yeah I was one of the complainers till some sweet people (the volunteers) were kind enough to explain the whys and wherefors of this. yeah I still hate to wait for those subs, but I go to other dramas and such like I said a few days to a week, these peoples are volunteers just remember that. and as for the money we give Viki? does any business run free? hey theres costs here, those licensings arent fre and well whateverelse that goes with a business. I will admit I do get frustrated for those long waits, but I’d rather stay with Viki, at least they do show complete subs and none missing. theres another discussion about Viki & Drama fever, which is better? both have issues. be patient…

4 Likes

Not joking. Here is today’s offering, this time much more demure, more faces than boobs, unlike other times.

3 Likes

To bad Viki doesn’t have a license for “My Secret Romance” it’s so cute and fluffy and even ‘the dog’ is way to cute.:heart_eyes:

1 Like

AND they have fancy hats there! gg

2 Likes

Did I mention once again how hard it was to edit Strong Woman Do Bong Soon? We went through it FOUR TIMES as a team! FOUR! Every single subtitle!

3 Likes