Why bother with vikipass?

way to go sophie2you!! thats why I do like Viki, they are concise, on the mark and so on. thanks subbers!

2 Likes

I personally find it mind-numbingly predictable and cliché, badly written and very badly acted. And the amount of fan service is embarrassing, the male star is treated as a sex-object - yes, the exact same thing we protest against when they do it to women. Korean entertainment does it to its men, a lot.
I do watch this series, though: I found that it’s a good transition from a stressful day to a peaceful sleep. Of course I eat or crochet, it’s not interesting enough for my undivided attention.
I don’t think viki should be crying to have lost it.
Neither that nor Stars’ Universe or how the heck it was called - another cringe-worthy web drama, neither The Liar and His Lover, which was a good story very poorly executed, with wooden, expressionless acting, and plot holes so big even I would fit through them. But The Liar and his Lover was still better than Secret Romance, because of the solid, interesting story (based on a Japanese manga).

2 Likes

Yeah you are right about the plot but sometimes a predictable Kdrama with lot’s of fanservice might be nice for a change when you also watch the more heavy Kdrama like Tunnel or something.

And about The Liar and his lover
 the acting of some cast was pretty bad and I hated that they kept going on and on about things and then went fast forward which left you like huh?! I liked the Jmovie more.

1 Like

DF is a co-producer of My secret romance so there’s no way Viki got license. DF must have had a deal with the producer. Same with Moon Lover, until now, we cannot get the license.

oh don’t worry we did once. It was really funny. (other dramas)

Really thankful for that! When I watched SWDBS, it was already full with eng sub so I didn’t realize yet. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

my secret romance, you all are so right about making the guys heavies. heres another story, surprised she didn’t get pregnant. as for the story, wish they could have done better with it and now is getting boring as all. the mom is definately weird, if that is her child she sure (and sorry about the negative), mom material. don’t care if she was an actress, take care of the youngun and not let someone else do it. and flirting with the main character?? wow!

liar and its lover? hmmm may be good idea to find and watch. I was hoping for a good story in my secret romance though. love her being a nutritionist don’t you think they could have had him save something better that that? I am on the 8th episode, so I will finish watching it and see for myself. thanks all for the inpout. and yeah I am watching it on Drama fever. p/s Irmar, yeah crocheting here with this one.

I guess you could watch it again? It’s really really sweet and wonderful!!!

1 Like

well of course its sweet, cute & wonderful, not saying it isn’t, just some of the “pieces” of the story could have been a bit better. still love the actors & actresses,

1 Like

“Liar and his lover”, I think it’s worth watching because it’s made by TVN drama. Most of TVN dramas are the best of the best! For “My secret romance”, DF gives too much spoiler so I end up find it less interesting. :sweat:

trikangle8507, you are so right about the spoilers. wish they wouldnt do that.

1 Like

You don’t need spoilers to know what will happen on that show. You just need to have watched more than 10 k-dramas, or, for that matter, 10 romantic comedies of any country and of any era. It is a rehash of all the things we have seen a gazillion times, and everybody already knows what is going to happen, even without reading any “spoilers”.

Trust me or not! DF posts too many videos (so it gives too much spoilers) than Viki does. Those promotional videos keep people clicking for some reasons. For example, in Across Ocean to See You, Viki lets people know the basic background of the plot whereas DF :weary: has too detail. In some drama which DF has an exclusive license, I just feel like DF has just shown up by posting too much spoilers on YouTube.

1 Like

People like to slam DramaFever but at least there’s a commitment and it gets done. I’m not one of those people who will complain if subs aren’t done within a day or a few days but if there is no progress after months and then no progress after years
 why not consider hiring someone to do a translation into say English which opens the door to volunteers in other languages?

Volunteers who subtitle can pride themselves on being more accurate than DramaFever, Netflix and others all they want - that doesn’t mean much for dramas that have almost no subtitles or subtitles that stop partway through (and have shown no obvious signs of progress for months). Something is better than nothing and a more business-like translation that’s not 100% faithful but still gets the general points of the scenes across to the viewer has a lot of value - especially if it’s the only option.

5 Likes

DF is probably better for customers who want to pay for English subs, in certain parts of the world and only there, and they want them fast.

Viki and DF provide different things, so people slamming Viki for something that it isn’t required to offer is the issue here. It’s a different business model. For some reason, this simple truth just can’t get through to some people.

It’s not like Netflix that chose to expand in Greece but refuses to offer Greek subs in almost anything. They just expect viewers everywhere to put up with “English only” subs, which is indeed infuriating. But I digress.

There’s a thread l think about instances of Viki-paid subbers contributing to projects. It didn’t really go well.

By all means, everyone should subscribe to the provider that fills their needs.

But you can’t require someone to change what you’ve already agreed on and bash people’s efforts, just because someone else offers something that suits you better. Just go to the other person and be done with it.

3 Likes

If there is a channel in particular you might want to open a post about it 

As many times before you can “throw” your critism all over the community. Or you can ask the community, if there is someone willing to take over such a project.

The community of volunteers are mostly taking care of their projects, we do neither have an overview of all the projects, nor do we see when one gets abandoned.

So bring up the one thing you want to see, or do you only want to advertise a platform, who is only available in parts of one continent?

3 Likes

Subbing can actually take a long time. With the limited amount of Kor-eng subbers there are, you can’t expect them to take all of the projects out there. Each 10 minutes of the video takes ~20-30 minutes to translate and if the video is an hour, that is over 2 hours they are spending on that video! It also comes to a point where their life outside of Viki takes over, so please be more considerate for those who went out of their way to translate on Viki.

2 Likes

Is that so?
Because I recently went and took the subber test for Netflix, and Greek was one of the - not many - languages they were testing for (I also tested for French and Italian).

1 Like

Okay, now we need to be more considerate. I think @kyle_eg has been very considerate and he/she does understand our situation on Viki. And hasn’t really said anything inconsiderate. Just that something is better than nothing after months of nothing. That is the truth and we all know it.

But, yeah, unfortunately Viki had tried payed subtitlers and Oh. My. God. No! English editors had to work hard cleaning up that mess. Not to say that there wouldn’t be a very good and professional Kor-Eng subber out there eager to work for Viki. We just haven’t met (m)any of them yet.

There is a great number of unfinished projects in all languages. Perhaps there should be a limit. One moderator can only have 5 or 10 unfinished projects. If they have more, they can’t start new ones. And that’s that.

9 Likes

Maybe they decided to change that after the backlash they received, I don’t know, I was so annoyed I didn’t follow up their actions.

What’s the subber text?