Why bother with vikipass?

Well, in all fairness, a Viki pass ensures HD streaming and no ads. Nothing more, nothing less. Subtitling is not mentioned.

4 Likes

What is this Japanse drama that has two unsubbed episodes? As a translator, I prefer to sub Japanese to English as opposed to Korean to English, Iā€™m fairly certain that there arenā€™t any J-Dramas that currently have any unsubbed episodes right now. However, if youā€™re talking about the variety shows, documentary shows or the reality tv shows then there really arenā€™t many who bother to translate those.

1 Like

nao_yamamoto_2 the episodes have been subbed since the comment and they even messaged me back to let me know they were done (it was the drama sunshine) but thank you for your response. and i am not sure if it is the same person but they have also been subbing the show ā€œupcomingā€ as well as ā€œhello projectā€ for which i am truly grateful (however the hello project one hasnā€™t moved in a while).

FYI - CYBER MONDAY SPECIAL VIKIPASS STANDARD
the first 5000 subscribers $ 34.99 for those who are interested this is a bargain!!
Itā€™s advertised on Vikiā€™s main page.

Oh boy, then you certainly donā€™t want to know about Pass Plusā€¦

Sadly sales donā€™t work if you pay on mobile via Google Play. I donā€™t have a credit card (only debit) and Viki still fails to add PayPal as one of their pay options.

Viki Pass Plus is only available in the Americas, everyone else has the Standard version. So itā€™s a good deal for them.

Debit wonā€™t work? Iā€™ve often used it to buy stuff internationally, like airplane tickets. (Actually itā€™s safer for the vendor, because itā€™s money that is actually there in your account)

1 Like

Mine isnā€™t a debit card by Visa or Mastercard, I can only use it nationally, not for international payments (I use Paypal for that).

1 Like

This was updated - maybe there is an option for you now?
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/200138854-Accepted-forms-of-payment

1 Like

@dreamfall92 this was 7 hours ago updated, I see there are more payment possibilities:

We accept debit and credit cards by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, Discover and Diners Club. We also accept prepaid cards and gift cards from all of the previously mentioned credit card companies.

You can subscribe to Viki Pass by visiting this link: viki.com/pass

For mobile devices, you can subscribe to Viki Pass via Apple iTunes and Google Play Store. Both of these services accept multiple forms of payment, including Gift Cards, PayPal, and carrier billing (where it applies).

As I already mentioned I subscripted via mobile (Play Store has PayPal) which is a bit more expensive (5, 49 ā‚¬ monthly, 54, 99 ā‚¬ per year currently. I remember it being a few Euros cheaper last year). Vikiā€™s Sales never worked for me and the current one is only for people who never signed up before (not for people who want to renew/change their sub).

Iā€™m not sure why people here defend not paying subbers and why subbers are so keen on defending that. I even saw one commenter say something like " they have 100s of people to pay why pay subbers"???. AS IF subbers were inconsequential when in fact they are extremely important to a subscription service that gets a huge amount of its paid subscribers from English speaking countries. Its almost as if people were brainwashed into believing this was an acceptable form of commerce. Yet here we are in 2018 a bunch of these kool aid drinkers have left Viki for good because now Viki has two payment tiers that is just unjustifiable and greedy. what do you get that justifies 10 dollars? sh*** what do you get that justifies 4.99? early access to what exactly. ??

1. subs are integral to this platform and ultimately when viki was just a volunteer site with no need for viki pass i could understand it being volunteer based but now i do not.
  2. no it is not ok to post content and if its not popular or someones ship is in some other drama that happens in the middle of the one they are subbing, then stop subbing. Who tf puts up with that. yes most people will prefer a sub service that is speedy and consistent over something that is sometimes great but alot of the time not
  3. Your subbers are not consistent. Poor grammar, too focused on idiomatic literal translations, when the gist would be enough for most people. There are many a drama i have watched here and its unreadable because it is translated so literally.

I commend you koolaid drinkers, you are what make the internet such an interesting place. As you were.

1 Like

Yes and itā€™s so sad the japanese documentaries videos are so wonderful since it covers customs, sightseeing places and many many things we can only see through them bc the trip and plane ticket to Japan are impossible for me.

If subbers are paid, they will feel obliged while contributing the subtitles. Viki not only has English language but also there are many languages. I donā€™t think they are able to pay :moneybag: for hundred or million of subbers in every language. Doing a subtitles is not their full time jobs. They have many tasks that need to do in their real lives. I have no problems waiting for the subtitles. If waiting for subtitles irritates you, itā€™s not for you.

3 Likes

so this was in the contract , BULL SH ! before RAKUTEN took over VIKI, things might have been slow but not this slow. I think that RAKUTEN , is doing the same thing i PHONE was doing slowing things down so you would pay more for the service you should be getting in the first place. RAKUTEN has made VIKI, not second but third rate. If things not change quickly , I will be leaving as well.

How long have you been here? Because Rakuten acquired viki back in 2013.
See this article from September 1, 2013
http://allthingsd.com/20130901/exclusive-japans-rakuten-acquires-viki-video-site-for-200-million/#general-discussion
By the way, on this page there is a cute video ad about viki.

Well it is only resent that I have seen the name in front of VIKI so there. MY service has slowed down so much that GOD or whom ever would get made as well. Put things back to what they where and speed things up or GOODBYE .

OK The problem was Firefox browser. My wife use google and found Vicki plus. Iā€™ve had this problem before with Firefox :robot:.