Why can't I change the FROM language in the sample video?

Hello guys! I’m very new to this community.
I want to change the FROM LANGUAGE from English to Chinese when I creat my first sample video, but the box turns grey. Why? Can somebody help me?

The customary translation on Viki so far was:

1. Original language to English by ear.
  2. English to another language by written text (subtitle).

But since recently all shows on Viki come with English subtitles. Those who are proficient in Asian languages such as Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai etc. are now performing the (extremely important) functions of Translation English Editors (TEs) and Chief English Editors (CEs).

Therefore, if you are fluent in both Chinese and English, you should directly contact some Chief Editors who could take you into their team. For example, @trangstar888 could help you with that :slight_smile:

Alternatively, you could apply to the (soon-to-be-launched?) NSSA English Academy, where your proficiency will be tested before you join projects. @dimghro, what’s the status on that one?

The reason is that the sample video has NO Chinese subtitles. So if the source language is Chinese and it was subbed to English but no one entered Chinese captions, then “From” will show only English and any other language which has existing subtitles for the video.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!!! I’m gonna go through the work flow again and see if I can apply for TE or CE.

Yeah I think all Chinese dramas come with official English subtitles now, so a zh-en subtitlers is no longer needed :smiling_face_with_tear:

They now all come with English ánd Portuguese. And sometimes also Spanish and French.

1 Like

I’m one of the English CE who works mostly on Chinese channels. I train zh-en TEs, GEs, and mentor upcoming CEs.

I also do traditional and simplified Chinese captioning for Chinese channels.

If you are interested, I do have some captioning work and training channels for you to sub and get trained. The TEs I trained are working many other CE and english teams.

If you are interested in getting started, I’m on ■■■■■■■ (binfanatic) or viki message (trangstar888) works fine too.

3 Likes

We are waiting for Viki’s confirmation on the EEA Guidelines. :melting_face:

1 Like