Why do fans root for TOXIC RELATIONSHIPS? Main Lead/ Second Lead Debate

When I was younger, I would have rooted for the damaged and love starved guy any day! However, now that I’m somewhat older, even though I still wish for their happiness, I don’t usually ‘ship’ them with the female lead.

BUT!!

I love watching them change because of love. Ooh, that’s so fun to watch!

7 Likes

Y’all I’m watching Jugglers and WOW this tsundere male lead is WAYYY different from most of the bosses I’ve encountered before!! Though he’s abrupt and sometimes rude/uncaring with her, he never ever makes her do his personal work and wouldn’t stand others mistreating his secretary wayyy before he even liked her.
Though he has the cliche childhood trauma, he does feel extremely pathetic whenever he says anything mean to her and tries to make it up to her in his own awkwardly adorable ways :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I loveee the way he says such cheesy, romantic, cool lines to her and then sits in his own room and cringes over it :joy: And I’m so glad there’s no love triangle…the cute little second main lead has an arc of his own and bromances with the ML without trying to steal his girl. I love the way he calls his secretary “Wang-bi” as a play on her surname Wang and “biso”(비서-secretary) and it ends up meaning “Queen”(왕비):heart_eyes: it’s the tiny little things that make me love the drama

2 Likes

Vincenzo is such a fun drama!! I like how our protagonists aren’t experiencing too many losses. I watched episode 8 through my fingers because it was so hilariously cringey

1 Like

YES this is what makes them so fun and addicting! I love irrationally analyzing dramas! HAHA

4 Likes

Watching Coffee Prince for the first time right now and it brought me back to this conversation… Holy Toxic LOL. Every relationship is a complete mess.

4 Likes

I can’t remember which drama I was watching, but the relationship was so overly toxic that I was happy when the FL started to distance herself from this person. But people in the TC’s were complaining so much that I had to turn it off. They said that they would tolerate the abuse if it meant that they’d have such a handsome partner… Like what? No! No! No!

Your life experiences definitely shape the way you view these characters though. When I was younger and more naïve I though a fixer upper was okay… now I look at it differently (some fixer uppers will stay fixer uppers forever). I’ve also seen some people ruin their lives for a good amount of years falling for some of these tropes :cold_sweat:.

5 Likes

Yesss these Viki live comments have me genuinely worried sometimes hahaha.

With these love stories, I truly believe life imitates art. Or vice versa. Either way, I know some people are probably out here living these dramas in the streets :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

It’s so sad how these females commenters say that bc of the pretty boy face, they are willing to take any kind of cheating or abuse. They must have such low self esteem not to love themselves enough to accept that suffering in a relationship that will be so detrimental in their life.

How can they be such poor role models to other girls and even their own children in the future? if they get used to that kind of life that’s what they’ll teach their own daughters.
What’s ironic is that ‘‘this pretty cute boys’’ are all the work of a plastic surgeon and their beauty is plastic; Nothing is real in that handsome face.

Do they really think these vain and fake handsome face want to have walking along with them a woman/girl that doesn’t stand to their own standards of beauty? I have very good looking male family members and the comments they say make me want to jump them and beat the crap out of them. One time my cousin and my brother was flirting with this girl just to be JERKS, and she asked them Am I pretty? They both said Yes, pretty ****** ugly. I slapped both of them, and had to go after the girl to console her. I told her good looking guys are nasty bc they know they can have any girl they want so I told her to find someone who would really love her and that real beauty is not what’s on the outside, but the beauty inside of them.

5 Likes

can’t believe the lengths some people go to just for a pretty face :roll_eyes: see them in twenty years

5 Likes

If you watch the older actors now, they look really hurt; due to all the surgery they did in their younger years. J S for example, they have to be putting these tapes and pounds of make up in all his face, but my huge screen TV shows all his imperfections, and sadly you see this tapes on his forehead, 2 on each side of his chin (he did the chiseled chin surgery obviously), and under the corner of his eyes, it was so obvious it was sad to watch.

There’s another male actor, that ruined his eyes, and is hard to watch this actor with those badly done surgery in his eyes. Females are luckier than man but when you see those cheeks in a circle and the mouth like the shape of a clown you know they overdid surgery in their face.

My mother’s aunt (RIP) that her vain soul caused her to die after her third face plastic surgery (she suffered a cardiac arrest and was in a coma and never recovered). She was already 63, and I feel that we women should learn to age beautifully ‘‘al natural.’’ There’s nothing wrong with growing old. What’s definitely wrong not loving yourself just the way you are. After all, that fake beauty will start sagging pretty bad.

I advocate surgery for medical reasons like broken nose, terrible car accidents etc…

5 Likes

Im sorry to hear about your aunt.

For me, I am not particularly against cosmetic surgery. Body contouring isn’t horrible (I would do it if I could lol), but facial structure changes are a bit iffy. I think it all depends on the situation. If you have the means and you are trying to enhance and not completely transform, I think it is fine. Everything in moderation. Some people do become obsessed with it, and that is a bit tragic.

In terms of toxic relationships, I think men get away with toxicity attached to a nice face way more than women do. And it really does play out in real life when male celebrities get away with bad behavior and keep their following in a way the female celebrities do not. Even in dramas, I’ve seen female characters receive backlash in a way that male characters who do the same thing do not. It’s really interesting.

I am looking forward to more writers enhancing these on screen relationships, helping young consumers daydream about guys who are actually good lol

3 Likes

@sa11
Thank you.

I always said/wrote that if I had money i would do a new ME but I was just trying to be ‘‘funny’’ bc I did my nose to fix the many times my abusive husband broke it, and it was the most HORRIBLE experience I’ve ever had. I couldn’t breath and my whole face, my eyes were swollen shut, and I was black and blue all over. I would wake up gasping for air bc they put this things called ‘‘mecha’’ and you can’t breath through the nose, and any little covering/shock in my mouth (strong wind for example) would leave me gasping for breath. For 3 days you have to leave those things in the nose until you go back to remove them (which is another painful experience to go through). Imagine the nose only i wonder body lipo and such yikes!

1 Like

Cheese in the Trap is the one that just made me actively angry. I kept hoping against hope that she’d get back together with the piano guy, who had his own issues but was kinder, more understandable, more attractive IMO, etc. Aisssshhh.

One of the reasons I love the dramas I love so much is that the male leads aren’t super jealous or toxic. Ri Jeong Hyeok in CLOY (there’s a little bit of stupid jealousy plotline but it’s not too bad), Xiao Nai in Love O2O (the hacking stuff is over the top and many people are quick to point that out… I don’t disagree with them, but I think in general their relationship is very trusting without silly misunderstandings, and I’d love to see more of that).

2 Likes

I love the heathy relationships, I started a collection a while back (Good Communication, Healthy Relationships) but it’s only got 5 dramas in it so far, lol *sigh. I’m sure there are more, I haven’t been actively working on my collections lately.

5 Likes

There’s no doubt in my mind that there’s not much of those healthy relationships bc Asian dramas tend to be geared at suffering during the romantic relationship. They always begin fine, and start the relationship, kiss, and half an episode later, they are breaking up! These regularly break up in k drama can last from a year to three years bc of a misunderstanding or a SFL getting in the way. If you find more healthy dramas please, let me know bc Chinese dramas are copying the same pattern as Korean dramas so it’s getting ridiculous at this point.

1 Like

I had started one too: https://www.viki.com/collections/3375563l-healthy-refreshing-relationships
Still wondering whether to take Oh My Venus off the list because their relationship was wonderful except for the time he didn’t allow her to be with him through his recuperation after his accident
It’s really hard! :flushed: @worthyromance helped me with some suggestions to take two dramas off the list; I’d love your suggestions too!

3 Likes

If my hubby would bug me about my weight for the ending of the drama, I would say, “That’s grounds for divorce.” Not that I would divorce my hubby, but it’s considered very unloving to try to change another person. If it’s her request that he help her lose weight, like at the beginning, that’s different. I don’t know if you get what I mean.

If the couples started both emotionally healthy, unconditionally loving and accepting, where would we find the “drama” in the “drama”? Have you ever noticed that once a couple gets together and everything runs smoothly, that viewers say the show became boring? A couple either have challenges that they must face and overcome together or they simply have a regular, normal existence like the rest of us.

Psychological experts have shown that we always attract or are attracted to someone of the same self esteem level as we are. On the surface it may not be evident, but once the person starts to show one’s true colors, it becomes clear if we are not living in denial of what we see, hear and sense. For example, a person with a superiority complex actually possesses an inferiority complex. A person with genuine self confidence doesn’t need to project superiority and feels comfortable just being oneself.

4 Likes

You are not kidding! My brother-in-law was very handsome back when we were in our 20’s and he knew it. He was very conceited about his GQ looks. Lol. Recently I saw a picture of him and asked my son.What the hell happened to your uncle! He looks so old! My son said that’s what happens when you do meth. i was thinking Damn! I’m 2 months older than him… I hope I don’t look like that! Yikes!

1 Like

Overall I agree with what youre saying. What I love watching is people causing the drama who are outside of the relationship. A nice evil jealous ex-lover wreaking havoc and causing misunderstandings really sets the mood. Love seeing the couples overcome that lol.

I guess I’m okay with toxic around the relationship but not in it! Love to see it actually ha!

1 Like

@porkypine90_261
You don’t have to worry about that if you don’t do meth lmao. I know you don’t. No worries.

Have you seen the Youtube video of people who do meth? They get disfigured no matter how gorgeous they were before meth (I would post here but ‘‘mrs. nosy/my stalker,’’ might flag my post). People on meth lose their teeths and get horrible acne condition.

We women age better than man although we work harder, come home from work to clean and cook, help kids with HW and we NEVER complain. They (men/hubby) get sick, we have to tend to them like slaves. We get sick they definitely won’t bring tea for us. Let me clarify that; SOME GUYS not All Guys are like that.

2 Likes