Why do you watch K-drama?

I watch them because I find that there is nothing new on american/canadian tv anymore. Everything is either documentary style or competition shows and surprisingly found them very interesting and enjoyable so I kept with it

3 Likes

After I finished watching Shopaholic Louis, I suddenly realized that the main reason I love k-dramas so much is that they are filled with so much HEART. There is so much importance placed on the value of life, on family and relationships. There is something refreshing and endearing even about the portrayal of daily life.
They might have cliches and are cringey at times, but they fill up my heart and warm all it’s corners :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I don’t think k-drama has this much popularity just because they have good-looking people-- every country in the world has good-looking people. There’s just something very sweet about slow-burn romances and the daily ordinary bickering of family members. I love how much time it takes for them to come closer. You hardly see anyone jumping into a relationship just to experiment whether they are good for each other. It feels more real that way. And that back-patting to comfort a person when they need it actually feels so reassuring!
In addition, a lot of k-dramas are made extremely well, it’s very rare for a country’s tv-network shows to have this much popularity, I feel like k-dramas are more popular than k-movies!

1. There was a time I felt addicted to them, and even with lots of self-control, I still have times where I just want to keep splurging on them…don’t feel like it’s a passing fad. :grin:
  2. Don’t plan on ever giving them up, I always end up going to one to relieve stress or rewatching stuff when I feel down.
  3. I do watch Bollywood and Hollywood…though mostly older stuff. I can say that I feel safer with k-drama choosing rather than others.=, because I usually know what to expect.
  4. Starting watching because of my friends, so thankful to them!:grin:
2 Likes

I watch k-dramas because they did not fail me one time. There have been europe and american series I was watching but in the end I lost interest because the storyline was somehow flat. But with k-dramas they always keep me up in interest and sometimes I just NEED to continue watching because I am so curious :joy:

To question No.2: Definetly yes!
3. I don’t think I would stop watching them.
4. I do watch chinese drama aswell but my favourite is k-drama (because I am interested in the culture and language aswell)
5. It was some day where I was pretty upset because I did not know what to watch. I was fedup with other series and then I just tried something new. I first came across them at Netflix I guess:thinking:

2 Likes

1.Some of their traditions are similar with ours. Also,the languages are grammarly similar, but it’s not the main reason. Probably it’s because I can’t watch long series.The dramas that everyone watch on Netflix are good too but generally they have more episodes than Kdrama. I don’t like stuffs that keep me waiting or watching for a long time. Just like I don’t like watching movies at all. But Kdramas generally have 16-20 episodes. I think that is the main reason. Besides, I really love Korean language.
2.I think it’s not addiction but…just love it.
3.I’m not sure but it’s not my daily routine so I can give up. It’s just like a break for myself.
4.I don’t usually watch but sometimes my friend suggest me some Chinese movies.
5. Firstly I got into Kpop with Suju. Then my cousin recommended me “Secret Garden”. I finished it in a short time and didn’t watch anything after that. But after “Descendants of the Sun” and “Hwarang” I continued watching. So here I am! :tipping_hand_woman:

3 Likes

My name is joy I like the movie because I in enjoy it but it that all the movie he make.

1 Like

I’ve posted answers to these questions in other threads. I’ll link them, but here is an answer featuring Italian K-drama fans. :blush:

I so agree!

1 Like

Yes, I agreed with you about falling out of love with K-dramas. There are still some good ones coming out but they are rare. I left American tv due to the foul language. I hate horror films and killing constantly on the shows. So I have mainly switched over to Chinese dramas. I know they are not perfect but there are plenty on wholesome family ones, good romances, historical ones have amazing costumes, I also enjoy watching a good medical drama. So as you say there so much to pick from.

2 Likes

I agree, used to love to watch these dramas, but hate saying it, they are close to losing me, and yes due to those killings, and waaay far fetched fanticies, but again just have to be observant ands just , there are some good historical and romantic dramas,
love the medical/forensic dramas, a good mystery , or scifi would be good,

L ove watching the K & C dramas, gets me thinking, also I am not addicted to them, love watching them twirl with their ropes and the other stuff they use, the costumes are definately awesome. I do like other dramas from different countries
1 started watching them in 2014, broke my knee so wasn’t able to do much and started watching the dramas,

I hope this answers you

You know what bothers me the most? That they went back to their piggy back rides for the ‘‘drunken female’’ and also the woman being drunken to the point that ‘‘goes to bed with the guy, and don’t even remember a thing ‘‘about’’ the next day’’… really? Worse yet, now, they even get pregnant on that ‘‘one night stand’’ (I’m not saying it can’t happen). I think the biggest turn off for me and Asian drama in general is that even a professional Female CEO, is the one always getting drunk and acting like a total fool in front of large crowds. To add insult to injury they always ‘‘vomit’’ on the guy which I feel is a disgusting and very dirty scene.

I mean we must have all read about many women that have been drugged and rpd, and they know that something was done to them because they have flashes of certain parts of what went on; so why build that lie that a drunken woman in Asian dramas will completely forget ‘‘EVERYTHING’’ she did during her drunken night out.

2 Likes

dramas are source of mirages or information generally they are watched for escaping boredom,watching away from reality,and to be not sure how to handle daily life situations…dramas serve us as a stress reliever, like watching for fun and relaxation.I bet you have so many amazing idols character no one in your real life could ever compare. :cowboy_hat_face: :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

What?! It’s funny! Those scenes always reminds me…
True story: Going home after work one night I got to my bus stop, it’s a shelter stop with lean on seats and perch on the seat at the end of the queue next to a woman who is looking down at her shoes. (judging by her attire, I’d guess she worked an office job)
I look up the road for busses coming along when the woman turned to me and looks me straight in the face with a slightly blank expression for about a second or two. I look at her expecting her to ask me a question, maybe about which bus number goes where or something when she just throws up right onto the pavement space between us, let’s just say that I didn’t reach minimum safe distance from the blast range.
She was so drunk that after the Mt Vesuvius re-enactment she didn’t apologise or anything, just leaned back against the bus shelter and shut her eyes as if feeling a little better.
I didn’t get angry, just a WTF? nothing can be done now and moved one space away from her and the stink of vom & alcohol until my bus came. The bus which 3 stops later broke down and everyone had to get off and get the next one.
Truly a FMLRN moment…:expressionless:

So can confirm from real life experience, that acting of the split second expression before they throw up on the guy :point_right: :100:

3 Likes

In my younger years, I made a few mistakes where I drank at a party until I became so nauseous that I threw up (learned my lesson to know when to stop drinking). Never; in a million year I would throw up close to anyone, much less, in top of a person (especially this hunks CEO with expensive suits in the dramas).

One time, I was in a cab with my soon to be hubby #2 and I felt this urge to throw up so I opened my pocketbook, turn myself as far as possible from him (to avoid the smell)and I threw up inside a ‘‘contained space.’’ I had to get rid of the pocketbook bc no matter what I used the smell of vomit lingered inside and to the garbage it went. Accidents can and will happen, but those so real nasty throwing up scenes in K dramas I avoid like a plague and have no place in my life.

PS I don’t see anything funny in them. If anything; I feel is demeaning to the women’s image and is like they’re trying to say ''women always make fools of themselves and have no class; unlike men that always know their ‘‘place’’ how to ‘‘behave’’ and even forgive a stinky vomit all over them. I would like to see that happening with a male Hispanic (she will never see this guy ever in her life). Guaranteed… why you think I chose to ruin a good expensive pocketbook? lol

2 Likes

Well, I guess the opposite comedy trope would be the guy getting blind drunk loosing dignity to the FL in a soju drinking match. :sake:

I think that might be reading too much into it, I mean it’s just a writing trope rather than social commentary. No different than a male character that drinks too much is usually used in the alcoholic domestic abuser trope (in a flashback of course) because men are violent :man_shrugging: I have no issue with that, they need to demonise the male character in a trope for the story, go right ahead!

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying and I do often get the cringe moments with I think what in the world are you thinking and doing. When this happens I personally get embarrassed for them which is silly since its not real. It is even hard for me to watch like I actually experience it.

2 Likes

@lllford2000_668

The thing is today, I watched 3 different Chinese dramas and in all 3 the female was the one drunken and making a fool of herself in front of co-workers, CEO, and they never stop writing this in dramas+. The male character never gets drunk or make a fool of themselves. As much as I like Chinese dramas I’m dropping them since I won’t support this repeated scenes that demean the female character again and again and again.

1 Like

I currently live in the Philippines. I came here for a vacation. I love watching KDramas since my cousins here are really into Korean actors. We love Song Jong Ki and Lee Min Ho. :heart_eyes:

Watching Kdramas is usually our bonding while eating popcorn :laughing: Also, when the time we traveled to South Korea. I started loving Korea and searching more about the places that were seen in the movie as well as tourism. Only to find out it’s not only me but most people also who love Kdramas traveled to South Korea to visit places that appear in the movie. Confirmed this information from South Korea Tourism Statistics 2023: All You Need to Know | GoWithGuide

Anyway, here are my answers to the questions:

1. Yes, I feel addicted to watching Kdramas. I love the actors and the story is also great.
  2. Not sure yet. We don’t hold the future lol :rofl:
  3. Yes, I love watching series and I also watch movies from other countries.
  4. When I got bored in the house, especially during the COVID when cinemas were shut down.
4 Likes
  1. What is the primary reason why you watch Korean dramas? → It’s a good topic when I chat with women I’m not so close to. Many people are into Korean dramas recently.
  2. Do you feel you are addicted to watching them → I’ve been a K-drama fan for years. But I also watch dramas from other countries. I don’t feel I’m addicted.
  3. Are you planning to give up watching them in the future? → K-dramas are the lasting trend. I will watch them if it’s good.
  4. How did you start watching them? → I watched “You’re Beautiful” on TV. It’s my first K-drama.
4 Likes

I’ve found the links I’d posted, it answers to your query. I’ll also add to it a bit. :blush::+1:t5:

What I like is the relatability, that they are people who dream, hope, love, hate, fight, lose, win, yet, have the courage, and faith, to face the challenges in the arena of life.
It’s definitely not a passing fad, :joy: yet, regarding being addicted, it’s definitely a go-to, it challenges, and inspires the many desires irl, relationships, failures, achievements, work, travel etc. (here I’ve answered a question I’ve asked: What void does it fill?) :sunglasses: This too becomes my primary reason
Thus, there is no need to give up watching, I have taken breaks, but I do return to experience another adventure.
There are TV/movies of other country’s I’ve watched, but the comparison is like night, and day.

2 Likes

I used to enjoy watching these dramas, but lately they arent as enjoyable as they used to be. I go to those other sites, and watch, but with going to those places, I hate the thought, I am forsaking VIKI, does that make sense? yes there were a few dramas I wish Viki would have gotten, I could name them but I am not at this time.

mine was for enjoyment, the fantasy, and yes the who done its

What I like is the relatability, that they are people who dream, hope, love, hate, fight, lose, win, yet, have the courage, and faith, to face the challenges in the arena of life.

I do like this one, but the resentment, revenge, hate just turns me off

● *It’s definitely not a passing fad, :joy: yet, regarding being addicted, it’s definitely a go-to, it challenges, and inspires the many desires

I don’t want this to be a passing fad, addicted? hmm not sure now

Thus, there is no need to give up watching, I have taken breaks, but I do return to experience another adventure.

maybe thats what I need to do

There are TV/movies of other country’s I’ve watched, but the comparison is like night, and day.

and that one is so true!

I forgot this ; when did I start watching? about 2012 reason, ancle crushed, bed ridden for about a week, and I stayed with that till ( what was it called Drama F) Viki came by.*** Love learning new stuff**

2 Likes
  1. I was with my friend and she is watching a korean drama named Goblin. I have find it interesting and I have completed that k drama in a week. After that I have watched many k dramas.

2. Yes I am addicted with k dramas and now I think that I can’t live without them.

3. I will keep watching them.

4.I watch all which I like and unterstand.

1. The answer is in my first answer.
2 Likes