How did you discover k-drama?

One day i went scrolling through tik tok, and came across a k-drama post, i wanted to see more and watch more, and now here i am. Im enjoying watching k-drama and im so glad i found viki. XD

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure I was just scrolling through netflix and I came upon a kdrama:-)

3 Likes

I watched The New Legends of Monkey on Neflix, a Western drama about the monkey god and really enjoyed it. When I finished it I just seached monkey god stuff on Netflix and Korean Odessey came up. Life changed. Also I was going through alot of stuff at the time, so the tragic ending really helped the catharsis. K-drama is my therapy.

4 Likes

My younger sister got introduced to them by my cousin who actually lives in Seoul, South Korea. She was interested in learning Korean so my cousin had her watch some k-dramas. I spend a lot of time in my sisters room so I sat in while she was watching Strong Woman Do Bong Soon and I ended up loving it.

5 Likes

You my fellow fan, you’re funny :laughing::joy::laughing::joy:

1 Like

I can relate🙂
It was a local asian tv channel, providing free everything, for antenna reception television. When I say everything, I mean, everything, like live cooking shows! Worship services! Contestants Variety shows! Vacation Get-A-Way shows! Dramas! Movies! And, the list goes on, that’s how I got started watching strictly Asian shows back in 2011/12. I use to set my alarm to catch the aired episodes of dramas at :us: 6:00am, and even :us:4:00am in the early mornings :joy: First I thought I was watching Chinese Dramas, but soon realized, it was a mix with Korean Dramas. They had Mandarine, & Cantonese voice overs, for the Korean Dramas :woman_shrugging:t5: who knew! In 2012, I thought I’d look at learning the original language of the dramas. I looked at Chinese, and Korean. But I decided on Korean, because I understood it’s consonants, and vowels easier. Later in 2013, I met a roommate who told me about the Viki App! I’ve been here ever since! Sure, I have tried other apps, but Viki remains my main stay.:sparkles::wink::fist_right:t5::fist_left:t5::fist:t5::blush: This is all on the east coast :us: btw :smile:

Turns out it was more than one channel. They can be found on your social media platforms. And, they can be found in your app stores. The channels:
:tv: ICNTV https://youtube.com/c/ICNTVLIVE
:tv: WMBC TV and their affiliates
https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-cricket-us-revc&q=wmbc-tv+affiliations&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LUz9U3MDO1MC_QUssot9JPzs_JSU0uyczP008qyk9MSU4sLim2SkxLy8zJTAQJFy9iFSnPTUrWLSlTQBYGADSc5NVMAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjksZS_mY_vAhWdElkFHUrqDtgQ44YBKAQwGHoECAgQBg&biw=360&bih=648&dpr=2
:tv: iNDTV New Tang Dynasty
:tv: SinoVision

2 Likes

So true, I really don’t watch tv :tv: anymore :smile:!

For some context: I was slowly getting into series and dramas back in my later high school years. My first foreign language series was a Brazilian drama called A Escrava Isaura (I ended up watching both the 1970’s version and the 2004 version). I was hungry for more. I didn’t really like the shows on Netflix, but I didn’t know what else to watch. That’s when I saw my friend’s Snapchat story…

My Filipino friend was the one who introduced me (albeit indirectly) to Kdramas. She took a little video of the rain/umbrella scene in Are You Human, Too? and posted it on Snapchat, where I saw it and was terribly intrigued. I messaged her asking what show the scene was from, and that’s how I started.

Hehe I barely watch American shows/movies anymore. My reliance on subtitles has grown to the point where I feel more comfortable with them on while watching something in English. I sometimes think that I understand the Korean audio more than English audio. I wonder if that has to do with pronunciation differences (maybe the Korean actors pronounce their words more clearly than American ones?).

3 Likes

@helenama73_911,
I get those thoughts too, that I understand the Korean, until I try to watch without subtitles😂 I do understand some, but having learned recently, their sentence structure, really helps to understand.IMG_20210130_041948
Screenshot_20210128-011235

5 Likes

I am located in the U.S. and have never considered international dramas until I decided to give it a try by watching the long Turkish drama series, ‘Black Money Love’ on a competing online provider. Great show! Next I watched the South Korean history/drama series, ‘Mr. Sunshine’ which is still my all-time favorite. I’ve been hooked since then. I’m so glad I’ve expanded my viewing horizon!

4 Likes

:smile: The appeal is undeniable, us fans who accidentialy happened upon K-Dramas, stayed for days, months, years, and decades! :thinking: Hmmm :thinking: Time to think critically. What void is it filling? I’ve never given thought to that, come to think of it :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Speaking for myself, I’m sure the pandemic contributed to my discovery of K-drama. I was starting to get bored with U.S. dramas. Plus, the scenery in some of these International offerings is gorgeous! (And I don’t just mean the men. He,he,he).

7 Likes

(。•̀ᴗ-)✧ :smile::smile:

1 Like

now thats what I would like to get!! help me learn Korean,

I think mine was Healer, and since then about 12x I have watched it, thats my first ont then heal me kill me, love stuff like that

2 Likes

@frustratedwriter,
:sweat_smile: The men! :joy:
:smiley: Do you mean you want us to type in Korean :smiley: ?!
Whow! I’m down for that! And anyone else wanting to join in, ummmh, we may have to create a topic, just for typing in Korean.

I loooved Healer :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :star_struck: and :joy: :joy: Kill Me! Heal Me! :joy:

2 Likes

our keyboards dont have those features of Korean, may have to get a special one no don’t typoe in korean or chinese or whatever, I have a hard enough time translating!! hehehehe

3 Likes

:joy::joy: Okay!
I use my phone’s keyboard, there you get to add all the languages.
The laptop/desk computers are a bit more challenging. A wireless keyboard might have more features.

1 Like

Through VIKI. No matter what, I will always be grateful to this wonderful Community for its hard work and dedication. Fighting! :muscle: :heartpulse:

3 Likes

It’s not the keyboard, you can add Korean to your computer as an alternate language input for the keyboard, that’s how I’m using it now…but I had to memorise where what letter is. See, I have added Korean and Hindi as other input languages. I type on the English keyboard, but it comes out as Korean/Hindi.
I think @porkypine90_261 or someone else bought hangul stickers to stick on the keyboard so it’s easier to see and type.

5 Likes

Yes, I did. I didn’t need them for the most commonly used letters ㅁ ㄴ ㅇ ㄹ ㅎ ㄱ ㅅ ㄷ ㅈ ㅂ ㅛ ㅗ ㅓ ㅜ ㅡ ㅣ
but I was always hunting for these off my keyboard image which was a pain.
ㅑ ㅐ ㅒ ㅔ ㅖ ㅋ ㅌ ㅊ ㅍ ㅠ

The stickers make it so much easier to type.
나는 내 한글 키보드를 사랑

My vocabulary is picking up, along with basic sentences but I still mess up the grammar. :grin: and I am LOOOOOOONGGGG way from being able to hold philosophical discussions. :joy: All I can deal with right now are some puns. :grin:

5 Likes