Will KDRAMA ever have story based on Inter-racial couple

With the increased viewership of KDRAMA outside Korea, will there ever be a love story of inter-racial couple.

Ram

I would love to see that happen, too. Highly doubt it would ever come to reality.

Maybe the international viewership is increased but the main audience is still Korean.
Plus, frankly, I watch k-dramas to see Koreans and hear Korean language spoken by natives and learn about Korean culture and habits and so on. I wouldn’t be interested in people from other nationalities appearing in them. It would be a turn-off.
Same thing when I watch Bollywood movies where everybody wears only Western clothes, has a Western-style home where he walks in with his shoes and speaks English all the time. If I want this, I might as well watch an American movie, right?

1 Like

Actually there are some dramas with couples like that but they are rare and I can’t think of anything at the moment.
But as for a movie I would suggest Virgin Snow. It’s about a Korean guy (Lee Jun Ki) meeting a Japanese girl (Aoi Miyazaki).

To bad Viki doesn’t have it so you need to google :slight_smile:

I think the story becomes interesting if is not two Asian couple (Korean/Japanese for example), but American (caucasian) or African American, Indian, couples for example. Since they oppose so much so it would be a power struggle to keep the relationship going. There’s a couple in Youtube that I use to follow. Check it out. But my favorite couple is Lily Petals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K30VUedoQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKSl-_Mj5A

2 Likes

There was one where an American married a Korean girl but it was towards the end of the drama and not the main female lead. Interestingly it was an “actor” called Michael Blunck, he played a role in Assorted Gems
https://www.viki.com/tv/559c-assorted-gems

I didn’t see that drama, but heard that his character Kyle Huntington didn’t get his love interest and the writer Im Sung Han “corrected” that and let him get a girl in the drama New Tales of Gisaeng (Story had nothing in common with the other story line.)

I recall some dramas about “foreign” brides or half Koreans, such as 2 episode drama Hanoi Bride with Lee Dong Wook. Or two longer ones called Pure 19 and Golden Bride. Not one is at Viki.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies, there is a selfish reason for this ask. I am from India migrated to US, and my wife is from Korea :slight_smile: , and this was 25 years ago. The challenges are interesting and unique and sometimes very funny. Would like to see a Korean inter-racial plot and the challenges associated with it. It can be very funny though…

Ram

2 Likes

Yes it is! Congratulations on your marriage of 25 years. My ex-husband is from the Dominican Republic, I am from Puerto Rico, When both families got together it was a constant war, but in a funny way.

To this day, I remain very good friends with all of them, and we get to see each other sometimes. we reminisce and enjoy the memories of the silly arguments we had (like whose food tasted better). We brought different dishes from our country and that’s when the fight began.

I forgot to mention that my cousin got married 8 years ago with a Doctor from India, and she had both, the Hindu wedding ceremony, and the Catholic ceremony. They were both very beautiful but so many things happened that had everyone laughing and is amazing how different cultures can learn to become one and love each other so much.

We have so much fun when we have parties and we all start dancing each other’s music from our respective country. We kind of look like lunatics dancing around.trying learn a new way of dancing. hahahaha

1 Like

In the drama Potato Star 2013QR3, Julian Kang (half Korean and half French) dates Mina Fujii (Japanese). It’s not available on viki but it’s a very long and funny sitcom.

Rude Miss Young-Ae is another long running sitcom. Starting in season 12, there is a character from Bangladesh named Sazal who speaks Korean very well. I’m not sure if he dates or marries anyone because I didn’t finish the show but he does have a crush on a Korean workmate.

2 Likes

Some are easier than the others. Ours was a little bit more stressful at that time. Both cultures dont accept inter-racial couples and also having the wife few years older too was a big deal. But both of us are extremely stubborn hard individuals so we did not care. I think everything got better after our first kid, i guess that is the lesson for everyone.There were some hard days during that time, eventually everything got better.

Maybe that is why we enjoy dramas with stronger individuals like Encounter, who dont take any prisoners and just keep moving forward no matter what. :slight_smile:

Ram

2 Likes

Oh, that’s so awesome and cool !! Imagine a drama like this… Actually, I do have an idea for a script like this. I might make a post about it… Just to see your and everybody else’s reaction.

2 Likes

I can imagine how hard it must have been but I’m so glad you and your wife were able to overcome all obstacles and now are living proof that LOVE CAN CONQUER ALL.

In my opinion, the more they are against the relationship, the stronger the love for one another becomes.

1 Like