Will Snowdrop be cancelled like Joseon Exorcist?

Maybe he is a double agent or he is pretending to be a spy to get away?

1 Like

I havenā€™t watched the first episodes yet, Iā€™ll probably watch them this weekend

Kim mi soo passed away it seems

Itā€™s really sad

Thatā€™s sad news :cry:

The title of that article though :no_mouth:ā€¦
Iā€™m kind of shocked that they formulated it that way.

5 Likes

Itā€™s such a shame that this articles donā€™t have the personnel department to edit statements like that, where a human being is treated as an object that is ā€˜ā€˜no more.ā€™ā€™

I would sue them if I were a relative of this beautiful young girl who had her future ahead of her. I never saw any of her dramas because I donā€™t watch too many young coupleā€™s dramas, but given the controversy with SNOWDROP, I wonder if that played a role in her too soon demise.

This is the reason why I feel that they need to control the people who writes/translate articles, and also here at Rviki; who are the ones being allowed to become a ā€˜ā€˜subber,ā€™ā€™ and if they really meet the necessary requirements to translate dramas/movies.

Imagine a mother reading some statement like that about her deceased daughter; ā€˜ā€˜that she is no moreā€™ā€™
How insensitive and insulting that is at the same time.

Just In: ā€˜Snowdropā€™ actress Kim Mi Soo is no more; Agency confirms in a statement

WHAT A SHAME!

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, but I donā€™t see it as insulting or insensitive or that the person is being treated as an objectā€¦ To me, itā€™s a formal way of reporting the incident. I guess the way a sentence ā€œfeelsā€ differs from region to region. Iā€™ve heard this sentence a lot.

4 Likes

Yes, even i feel the sameā€¦
Itā€™s normal in India.
Even news channel report it in the same way .

3 Likes

The censorship and so-called ā€œconservatismā€ in South Korea is insane, not to mention anti-democratic. I get it, though. Throughout its history, both China and Japan have tried their damndest to erase SKā€™s national identity.

2 Likes

True journalism is dead. Itā€™s just a bunch of insensitive kids writing for these ā€œcontent millsā€ that produce nothing but trash, contentious articles meant only to bring in the views.

2 Likes

Hi!
@adrianmorales

The article i posted, belongs to an Indian entertainment company, itā€™s very common in India.

4 Likes

In German, this phrase is also used (Er/sie ist nicht mehr) when one wants to avoid saying: He died (Er ist gestorben). In German this phrase is not rude but clumsy at best.
In fact, ā€œEr weilt nicht mehr unter unsā€ which means ā€œhe is no longer with usā€ sounds somewhat more discreet, but a little bit stiff, according to some. Itā€™s a matter of taste.
ā€œHe passed awayā€ would be translated in German as ā€œEr ist verstorbenā€ or we say, again to avoid ā€œdieā€: Er ist verschieden, which can not be translate in any other way and may sound ā€œancientā€.

6 Likes

@spaufler_89

I have never heard this passing of a young beautiful girl in the prime of her life, in such a primitive way. I didnā€™t check the article completely, but no matter what, we are in the 21st. century, and most people in our days have some decent amount of education.
No matter how they want to excuse it, I still see it as a disrespect towards the bereaved family who is already suffering such a great loss due to this untimely death of such a talented and beautiful young girl.

Your sentence is totally different:

(Er/sie ist nicht mehr) (He / she is no longer) This one is more appropriate since it clearly says she/he, is no longer with us.

Thereā€™s a big difference, and lack of sensitiveness on their part with: IS NO MORE (and leaving it like that).

@adrianmorales wrote ''Itā€™s just a bunch of insensitive kids writing for these ā€œcontent millsā€ that produce nothing but trash, contentious articles meant only to bring in the views.(quote/unquote).

I totally agree with @adrianmorales , itā€™s pure trash. THEY failed to address EVERY reader (worldwide) respectfully, mindful of the pain the family and fans are going through.

She/ He passed away She/He died. He/She is no longer with us, are caring ways to say we are sorry to inform you of the grave loss of ā€¦

I know that some culture/people are so terrified of death that they refuse to write or say anything like DIED/Is DEAD but dying is part of life. Dying is part of life, and Is painful, so we must be sensitive the way we word it and NO MORE is totally insensitive on their part. Hope they take notice and change that sentence from now on.

2 Likes

@vivi_1485ā€¦@padmalayag

I understand now; is normal in India to write it like that.

It shocked me because I had never seen it before and in my opinion is such a cold way to address the passing of a human being, a young girl in the prime of her life.

I have read Indian articles before and it was always written as passed away/died etcā€¦

4 Likes

That Media outlet only targets Indian audience, so they will use Indian English in their articles and not American, British or Australian.

Itā€™s too disrespectful to say ā€œthis person diedā€ in our country, to understand this, one has to consider culture, if they donā€™t want to, then thatā€™s upto them.

In Hindi (and probably other Indian languages, since Hindi isnā€™t the only language widely spoken in India), the most polite way to report someoneā€™s death is:
ą¤µą„‡ ą¤…ą¤¬ ą¤Øą¤¹ą„€ą¤‚ ą¤°ą¤¹ą„‡ą„¤ (Vē ab nahiį¹‡ rahē) - They are no more.
ą¤µą„‡ ą¤—ą„ą¤œą¤¼ą¤° ą¤—ą¤ (Vē guzar gaē) - They passed away.
ą¤µą„‡ ą¤šą¤² ą¤¬ą¤øą„‡ą„¤ (Vē cal basē) - They left. (Literally: they walked away)
ą¤‰ą¤Øą¤•ą¤¾ ą¤¦ą„‡ą¤¹ą¤¾ą¤‚ą¤¤ ą¤¹ą„‹ ą¤—ą¤Æą¤¾ą„¤ (Unkā dēhāį¹‡t hō gayā) - Their body ended.

Now, since any language is majorly influenced from the languages surrounding it (nothing surprising, this is how languages have always evolved), I am not surprised to see ā€œno more.ā€

At first, I was thinking all of you are talking about ā€œjust in:ā€ part, since that also surprised me, but I am more surprised to see that people at Viki are not open to other cultural views.

A news article on former Indian Presidentā€™s death:
https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/peoples-president-pranab-mukherjee-is-no-more-134157

All the phrases I mentioned are equally used. In fact, to us, the word ā€œdiesā€ seems too emotionless or careless, as if the writer doesnā€™t even care about the person and just wants a scoop.

To understand why we think ā€œno moreā€ is better than ā€œdies,ā€ one would need to become a part of us and see the world through our eyes.

8 Likes

@shraddhasingh
To understand why we think ā€œno moreā€ is better than ā€œdies,ā€ one would need to become a part of us and see the world through our eyes.

That is so true, and I appreciate so much your explanation because it gives me a better understanding now as to why the use of ā€˜ā€˜no moreā€™ā€™ instead of ā€˜ā€˜dies.ā€™ā€™

Itā€™s not that Iā€™m not opened to other cultural views, it was just that I have never seen this ā€˜ā€˜no moreā€™ā€™ used before; so it shocked me because as the mother of a young girl, it hurt me to think someone saying ''your daughter is ā€˜ā€˜no moreā€™ā€™ because in my heart, and my mind, she is, and will always be; everything to me, in life or in death.

I didnā€™t mean to become insensitive myself in the process, and it was never my intention to do that with my comment. The mother in me cried more, than the logic of the seeking for understanding in the phrase ā€˜ā€˜no more.ā€™ā€™

My apologies for my lack of understanding the use of that word. Next time, I wonā€™t let my heart rule over my feelings.

6 Likes

I wasnā€™t aware that it was an Indian source when I made my comment. I didnā€™t know that it was commonly used in India. When I thought about it, the phrase isnā€™t that shocking :sweat_smile:.

Yes, in Dutch they also have phrases like that. I think that I was more used to the ā€˜is no longerā€™ in English vs the ā€˜is no more.ā€™

Why did the ā€˜just inā€™ part surprise you? Is that not common?

4 Likes

You could say it was domino effect :joy:
I thought what could be the reason to be surprised by the wording, I re-read the news headlines, I thought ā€œjust inā€ could be the reason since I didnā€™t imagine ā€œno moreā€ could have been the reason. And since I assumed ā€œjust inā€ is the reason, I started thinking it could actually be disrespectful. No that I give it a thought, Iā€™ve not seen any news headlines saying ā€œjust inā€ā€¦ Maybe the news outlet has a category ā€œjust inā€

Confusingā€¦ Hehe :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

It just means breaking news/ flash news / latest updateā€¦ Hahha

2 Likes

@padmalayag

It is somewhat funny in the sense that when I saw ā€˜ā€˜NO MOREā€™ā€™ all I saw in my mind at that moment wasā€¦ when my kids say to me: Mom, thereā€™s NO MORE bread or NO MORE peanut butter; so at that time; I saw it as the young girl being disrespectfully refer to as a ā€˜ā€˜No More Objectā€™ā€™ with the painful thought at that moment, that we can buy another loaf of bread or another jar of peanut butter, but we can never get KIM MI SOO back. NOTHING can replace her, a young beautiful girl in the prime of her life. I DO hope when translating here at RVIKI, no matter how common this phrase is in India, they Donā€™t use the NO MORE phrase, as the passing of a human being.

2 Likes

Iā€™m from a telugu speaking state of India, so the news channels here report differently and the way of reporting depends on the popularity of the person, who passed away.

2 Likes