Words, idioms & languages

Fond of infographics and cards! Some words not in my lingo!
Credits to the authors.

Screenshot_20200613-105055_Chrome

Screenshot_20200613-105423_Chrome

Screenshot_20200613-105543_Chrome

Find-out-which-European-language-you-are-reading-flowchart

3 Likes

All those -phobia words are Greek, I suppose for other languages they must be difficult lingo, for us the meaning is immediately obvious. He he!
Shakespeare was the master of creative insults. I wish there were some creativity nowadays, in all the languages that I know they just 3-4 insult words.

2 Likes

Arachibutyrophobia = fear of peanutbutter.

I am a physics student, so whenever I hear a Greek word or just see a Greek alphabet, I immediately connect it to all the alpha, beta, gamma I learnt last year. Even ALPHABET is alpha and beta. If I see Greek badges on any Greek subber’s profile or just see their recent contribution, suddenly, it’s all jumbled viscosity, acceleration, refractive index and stuff on my mind.

1 Like

Irmar, how do Greek translators subtitle Korean names, locations and honorifics in Greek?

https://discord.me/languagesloth
https://discord.me/cave-of-linguists

Free servers that have events, virtual classrooms, public speaking practice virtual audio, solo or multiplayer games, proverbs, BBC radio, pomodoro sessions to learn languages. We can also get some help and cultural insights from people all over the world!

Languagesloth also has a timetable for lessons (+ text analysis classes or languages classes for beginners or intermediate or advanced levels):

They translate the names and locations as they are, transliterated into Greek alphabet.
Greek has only two levels of formality, just as French, so we have to make do with those.

1 Like

Thank you!! How do they translate Oppa, etc.?

See, I don’t know how everybody chooses to translate, I have only worked under mahoula, and then I started working for myself. We both transliterate oppa etc. just as it is, with Greek characters.

1 Like

I tried 3 classes in Turkish and Chinese from this Discord. All classes are free, last for around 1 hour, so why not! The timetable changes every time though.
The first one was in Turkish, I didn’t follow previous lessons, so I understood nothing.
The second one was in Chinese. It was okay.
The third one… was excellent.
The teacher for Chinese who does classes in English is awesome.
Great culture about classical poetry, History and an excellent method of teaching Chinese.
His material is also really nice.
I recommend taking his classes. He asked for volunteers to read poems from Ming dynasty, he corrects our pronunciation with great and patient care. He always says encouraging words to every student.
He answers all questions. He also makes us listen to Chinese music at the beginning and at the end of his class.

Now, it’s English pronunciation class :smiley: We can hear people train reading Harry Potter, the teacher corrects if the pronunciation is wrong. The male teacher has a British accent and a deep voice, this is ASMR. He also explains the vocabulary. We can also volunteer to read, we take turns.

1 Like