Youn Yuh Jung wins best supporting actress for Minari at BAFTA and the OSCARS

One of my favorite Korean halmoni won an award despite the fact that British people are very snobbish :rofl: :partying_face: Seeing her reaction and speech makes me like her even more, what a wonderful person with great sense of humor! Congratulations! :partying_face:

Here is her Speech:

And an interview she did afterwards:

And if you don’t know who this person is. You likely saw her in quite a few Kdrama :slight_smile:
Here is her Viki profile:

More information and a complete list of her work can be found here:

I thought she deserves a topic :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I absolutely love her :grin:
Her speech was absolute gold haha

2 Likes

OMG, thanks for sharing this. Love her acceptance speech here! She seemed to be genuinely shocked to have won. She is too funny! “approved by the snobbish people!” lol

2 Likes

+1, thanks for sharing! Epic and phenomenal. I appreciate how she remains true to herself and her heritage throughout.

3 Likes

Before she won the BAFTA award, she won the Screen Actors Guild award for Best Supporting Actor winning over luminaries like Glenn Close and Meryl Streep!

4 Likes

I LOVED her Master in the House episode. She’s absolutely hilarious and they were definitely terrified of her :rofl:

Master in the House - Episode 8 | Rakuten Viki

2 Likes

She is a great actress as i said before, a bit rough on the edges, but makes up for it by saying a funny joke and making everyone laugh.

I am sooooooooooo curious to know if I saw it right; her award was that green ‘‘guiro’’ (instrument in my island) looking thing? I have never in my life expected to see such an awkward looking award. She made a big mistake by thanking them for all the jewelry they gave her, so she tried to say it wasn’t a bribe at the end. Learned lesson; they might not receive an award, but they should write what they would say in case they win.

Her English is quite good. I loved her in MY HUSBAND GOT A FAMILY. She can play evil or good with great mastery. I’m her fan since 2013 when i saw her in this drama. I watch all she’s in. Minari waiting till I can watch for free.

2 Likes

Hopefully she will win this award too at the 93rd Academy Awards, can’t wait for an another awesome speech! :rofl:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1464168wpp/youn-yuh-jung-heads-to-los-angeles-to-attend-93rd-academy-awards

3 Likes

… and the Oscar goes to …
She is a wonderful actress and as she said maybe a bit more lucky than others this year.

Forgot to add the videos

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @dudie an enjoyable watch :heavy_heart_exclamation::sparkles::wink::+1:t5:

Yay she did it, an Oscar!!:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

4 Likes

Ah-MaZiNg!!! She did win the oscar!!!
:heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation: :grin::grin: Congratulations to her!!
Such a rich share, thanks so much!
Her responses are so unpretentious!
True to her roots🇰🇷

Article by Soompi where other Korean celebs congratulate her :slight_smile:
https://www.soompi.com/article/1466047wpp/korean-stars-congratulate-youn-yuh-jung-on-her-historic-success-at-academy-awards

3 Likes

You know @dudie, her honest response at the awards, and replies in the inquires has the ring of truth. I believe I can say what I’m about to say, on these threads. Her award is :100: reflective of her talent, but the timing of the award reflects a fight back at Asian Hate, and in her words as she puts it, “. . . American hospitality for the Korean Actor, I think . . .”

1 Like

@sa11 I watched that episode and the episode where they invited their former masters in resto. A TRUE MASTER!!

1 Like

SEE! It’s not just us snobs that liked her!

5 Likes

I just love the fact that Hallyuwood has overtaken Hollywood, even though Korean actors are paid less.
It’s the same with music, even though Kpop artists enjoy less freedom.

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS, Youn Yuh-jung !! :heartbeat: :tada: :confetti_ball: :sparkles: :sparkler:

1 Like