1 thing that could improve the the Arabic subs

While watching shows that are subbed to Arabic on television, I noticed that the subs are very different than the ones on Viki. I’m sure most Arabic translators don’t notice this, since they are flaunt and would prefer to watch using English subs. Even I did not notice that until recently when I started watching should professionally subbed to Arabic on TV with my mom.
The problem is the styling. I would like to suggest 1 point that would improve the Arabic subs tremendously. If you want to argue or give another point please do so, so that we reach a consistent guidelines for Arabic subs.

My suggestion is:

The use of parentheses/round brackets () to include names such as character name, country name, and place name, magazine name, company name, etc. in professional subtitling. Professional subs use those to clearly indicate the names since Arabic doesn’t have capitalized letters to indicate what is a name and what is not. Moreover, when the names are encapsulated in parentheses/round brackets, viewers tend to be fast to read the subs cause they know that it is a name, not a dialogue.

Example:
أنا نان هي وهي سون اوك
Viewers would take a lot of time to differentiate the name from the dialogue. You don’t know if the character’s name is
“هي سون اوك”
or just
“سون اوك”

Therefore, using the parentheses/round brackets, it will make the process of reading an understanding much faster.
أنا (نان هي) وهي (سون اوك)

Example:
Hello! It’s the editorial team from Happy Life.
مرحباً! أنا من فريق التحرير لـ(هابي لايف).

Example:
Seisim Medical Center
مركز (سايشيم) الطبي

Many volunteers have excellent Arabic, sometimes much better than me even. However, the problem that plagues Viki is the use of English styling in Arabic subs. They don’t work since it is a different language. Viewers need the parentheses/round brackets to distinguish names from dialogue. It is one of the rules to translate to Arabic actually: https://lmbah.com/literature/أسس-الترجمة-السليمة-والأخطاء-الشائعة/#i-18

I hope all of would participate and see if we convert to this. I have been using it lately and even my mom and other relatives have told me it is easier to read that way than the other subs at Viki. I really hope we would use it together to make the subs more professional and consistent throughout Viki. This would make it easier for users to read and understand the subs.

If someone wants an example watch MBC MAX or https://www.viki.com/tv/35869c-secret-mother
I have translated it to Arabic and used the ( ).

Update: I don’t recommend " " cause Viki uses it when characters quote each other (Example: to her, it’s just “I’m sure not much happened.”) or there is an emphasis on the word (Example: they call it a “miracle.”). Therefore, using ( ) would be the best.

3 Likes

This idea is good, my dear :heartpulse: if there is no talk, but in the presence of words it is clear, I always try to make the name of the character be as clear as possible when translating. But also the brackets are a good thing or something that distinguishes them, but if the site adds a feature that helps it be better as color or darker than the rest of the speech in the section is much better as a personal opinion. Thank you for putting this issue and I hope that Viki respond to it as soon as possible :wink::+1:

I’m not posting this to Viki staff, this is between Arabic volunteers in the Arabic forum/discussion.

I don’t think they would add colors ever since it doesn’t not look professional and might be abused by users trying to color each letter a different color making things unreadable. Moreover, you never see colored subs in on TV or other professional subtitle. I would suggest switching on MBC MAX (Arabic Movie Channel) and see their subs. You will notice the parentheses/round brackets. It would be something like this: (جاكسون)

Also, I have a Netflix subscription, however, some of their shows use " " to indicate names. Maybe we should vote to see if ( ) or " " are better. The " " are new, while ( ) are used for a long time to sub on television and cinemas.

What I’m aiming to is to see all of the Arabic volunteers’ opinions and then if they agree, we will all use parentheses/round brackets. Actually, you get used to using them very quickly. This would make Arabic subs consistent throughout Viki.

Each language makes their own styling rules. Maybe we can agree on a guidelines and translate it here: https://nssacademy.weebly.com/subtitling-guide.html So that it can help all newcomers.

1 Like

أعلم ما تحاولين قوله و لكن أعتقد بأن فكرتكِ قد تنطبق على المشاهدين الجدد للدرامات الكورية الذين مازالوا غير ذي معرفة بالأسماء و لذلك تقترحين أن تكون بين أقواس أو ما شابه و لكن برأي هذا الأمر يكون أكثر تشتيتاً لأنهُ بوجود أكثر من أسم في الجملة الواحدة فستكون هناك العديد من الأقواس التي سيجعلها غير متناسقة و أيضاً مزعجة للمشاهدة :ok_hand:
على سبيل المثال :
If Dr. Park’s mother didn’t let him,Dr. Choi couldn’t operate on Dr. Yoon first.
لو والدة الطبيب ( بارك ) لم تسمح له ، الطبيب ( تشوي ) لم يستطع أجرائها على الطبيبة ( يون ) أولاً

و لكن لا بأس أن أتفق الجميع فسيكون موحداً لجميع المترجمين العرب و أيضاً سيكون تطبيقها بدءً من المشاريع الجديدة لأنهُ من غير الممكن محاولة تطبيقها لمن يمتلك أكثر من 100 مشروع :thinking: :heart_eyes:

@nancy03311@ethar_6555_57

أمي تابعت أكثر من 100 مسلسل آسيوي (لا أظن أنها جديدة في متابعة المسلسلات ) بالترجمة العربية وتقول أنها تفضل عندما يتم تحديد الأسماء لأن توجد بعض الاسماء مثل
lee = لي
hee = هي
قد يقرأها الشخص كجزء من الحوار وليس الاسم

بالعكس، هذا سوف يجعل المشاهدين يميزون الإسم من الحوار ويمكنهم قراءة الجملة بالكمال قبل إختفائها.
يمكنك تجربة ذلك إذا أردت … لأنني رأيت الفرق بنفسي حقاً، حتى عائلتي و اصدقائي الذين يتابعون ترجمتي قالوا أن ذلك أفضل

أجل، انا أعني أننا نبدأ من البرامج الجديدة
جميعنا مشغولون ولدينا الوقت لترجمة الجديد وليس للعودة لتصحيح القديم

لقد ترجمة هذا المسلسل
https://www.viki.com/tv/35869c-secret-mother

باستخدام الأقواس وعندما تابعت أمي المسلسل بالترجمة العربية قالت أن هناك فرق لأن عقلها يستوعب مباشرةً أن هذا اسم وليس جزء من الحوار ويمكنها قراءة الجمل بشكل أسرع قبل إخافائها.

2 Likes

@houaida11

Reply from sara__n: https://www.viki.com/users/sara__n/about

Personally, I don’t recommend " " cause Viki uses it when characters quote each other (Example: to her, it’s just “I’m sure not much happened.”) or there is an emphasis on the word (Example: they call it a “miracle.”). Therefore, using ( ) would be the best.

2 Likes

@msruru1@lisa_cholet

لقد أشرت للعديد من الصديقات و أرسلت الرسائل فلنرى ما يتم الأتفاق عليه و نطبقه :blush:

لقد أرسلت رسائل أنا أيضاً
شكراً لك على المساعدة أيضاً يا عزيزتي

1 Like

@faty57@maryouma_mimita_57@radwa_hachem

على الرحب يا عزيزتي :wink:

أسس الترجمة السليمة وأبرز الأخطاء الشائعة أثناء الكتابة:
https://lmbah.com/literature/أسس-الترجمة-السليمة-والأخطاء-الشائعة/#i-18

لأقواس فائدة كبيرة في حصر جمل، أو كلمات معيَّنة، ويختلف نوع القوس حسب استخدامه، عند كتابة الأقواس لا نترك أي مسافة بين القوسين، وبين الجملة أو الكلمة الموجودة بداخلها،
استخدامات الأقواس الهلاليَّة:
عند وجود أسماء غير عربيَّة. مثل: (توم هانكس)، أو (موسكو).

يمكننا صنع دليل للمترجمين الجديد، مثال:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c8AH5SQvGKJkBS44ivjLX21bje9EEQcUC61GMwJ2oUk/edit?usp=sharing

@mortezalive13_365@farah_abida@sofajb@judemno@souyong_lee@yasmina22

و ماذا عن جعل الأسماء بالخط العريض كما في هذا المثال
يمشي سونغ وون في الأرجاء
لا أعتقد بأنهُ سيحدث فرق كبير مما يجعل المشاهد يتشتت

3 Likes

و عليكم السلام يا عزيزتي :slight_smile:
أنا أتفق معكِ بهذا الرأي و لكن فيكي لا تعتمد هذه الميزة في الترجمة حتى الآن و لذلك كان المقترح أستخدام الأقواس من أجل التفريق بين الأسماء و أسماء الأشارة أما ( ) أو " " حتى يفهم المشاهدين الجدد الفرق بينها و بين بقية الكلام و لكن هذا قد يُعمم على جميع المشاريع و لكل اللغات التابعة لها أن أتفقنا و ستكون طريقتنا موحدة للمشاريع الجديدة و المستقبلية و هو أقتراح من صديقتنا و حسب تجربة أخضعتها لأقاربها و أُناسها لذا قالت ذلك . و نرجو أن تعتمد فيكي قريباً ميزة تدعم ذلك و أيضاً أنا كحالكِ أفضل الوضع الحالي و لكن الجدد في مشاهدة الدرامات الآسيوية قد يكونون على غير معرفة و أطالع بها لذا قد لا يميزون كما نفعل :slight_smile: هذا فقط
أشكركِ يا أختي الغالية :heart_eyes:

هذا رد أختي العزيزة أيثار : https://www.viki.com/users/go/15130845u

هذا رد أختي العزيزة لمياء : https://www.viki.com/users/go/7011663u

1 Like

المشكلة ليست أن الشخص جديد في متابعة البرامج الآسيوية
هذه أحد قواعد الترجمة وحتى أن الكثير من الناس على دراية بالأسماء الإنجليزية إلى أن المترجمين المحترفين مازالوا يستخدمون الأقواس في ترجمة المسلسلات والأفلام التي في السنيما

يمكنك إختبار نفسك
سترين أنك أسرع في قراءة الجملة إذا كان هناك تحديد للأسماء
لأن عقلك يستوعب بسرعة أن هذا اسم وليس جزء من الحوار

الكُتب على سبيل المثال ليس بها هذا التحديد لأنك تأخذ وقت في القراءة ويمكنك قراءة الجملة مرة أخرى
ولكن في ترجمة المسلسل تختفي هذه الجملة بسرعة

في أعتقادي التشتيت يأتي من محاولت معرفة إذا كان ذلك اسماً أو جزء من الحوار

قد تبدو الأقواس غريبة في البداية لأنكم لستم معتادون عليها
لكنكم سوف تتعودون عليها بسرعة وسترون فائدتها
جميعنا معتاد على الأقواس ولا نلاحظها عندما نتابع الأفلم الأجنبية التي على التلفاز

1 Like