A drama without an hysterical female lead?

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I hope you may like at least some of them (if so, you could write me ~ need someone to chat about the series - since I found then so cool - and none of my friends is watching this kind of shows :ghost:)

Yes, I hope so too. I’m currently watching Bloody Romance and are liking it so far. I just finished Misty and that was really good.
Maybe start a thread about your favorite show so others can comment? You’re among friends here :wink:

Bloody Romance sounds interesting. Didn’t hear about it yet and added it to my watch list :slight_smile:

I may post a thread about my favourite series. Might be good to see other people’s favourites as well + find new shows to watch.

Bloody romance is a historical c-drama and no hysterical female or any silly over-the-top characters at all so I recommend it.

Will keep a lookout for your thread then :wink:

@stockholmsyndrome I don’t know, if there are any license changes for Sweden, but for me some dramas, that were restricted just a few weeks ago, are now available again. Maybe you want to check once more?

I checked those I was interested in in your list and they are still restricted for me here in Sweden.
But I found a similar drama; https://www.viki.com/tv/32754c-romantic-doctor-kim that I’m 2 episodes in and like so far. I have 3 more episodes of Bloody Romance so I will grab one that I have saved in my to-do list - probably Goodbye my Princess and keep my fingers crossed the female lead is normal lol

Don’t make the same mistake I did and start watching the last episodes of Bloody Romance at (late evening) so you need the night to finish it and then can’t sleep and feel frustrated :smiley:

Hehe I’ve heard of people like you who read the last chapter and watch the last episode first. I have never done that and can’t see the point of ruining the suspense. So no worries - I will not make the same mistake :wink:

ok where do we go to request the drmas?

@frustratedwriter - here
https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

I did not read the last chapter before watching the last episode nor did I watch the last episode before I watched the episodes before. Did you mistaken my posts?
It makes no sense to know the end before knowing the beginning. Some storys are told like that but I usually dislike them and try to avoid them because it’s not chronologic then.

I just started watching the last 4 episodes at late evening/night so it was 4 in the morning when I finished it and then wasted my sleep time for a frustrating ending :smiley:

Yes, she did misunderstand. You wrote “don’t start watching the last episodes late at night” and she mistakenly thought that you start by watching the last episodes before the first.

P.S. I always search for reviews, recaps, comments about a show I intend to watch, but if I cannot find them, I often go and watch a scene or two from the ending, to make sure I won’t be disappointed or angry. Why waste 16 or more hours of my life to find out that the writers have decided for an open-ended finale, or the two leads just missing each other at the airport or one of them dying?

Yes cntv_854, I misunderstood then. Sorry about that. :flushed:

irmar: Then don’t watch the k-drama Misty - I really liked the show but read that many were disappointed with the ending :wink:

1 Like

a few and far between, I havent seen many either, “ones you love to hate” comes to mind.
stockholmsyndrome, my dad used to say now this was years ago, read the first paragraph of a book, news etc then read the last paragraph of the news story, or read the last chapter of a book, I did try it a few times, its interesting, but one misses so much in the middle! I’d rather read the whole thing,

1 Like

I can see reading the first and last paragraph of an half-interesting news article. But not book. What’s the point in that?

As for dramas without hysterical females, it seems that the historical dramas that otherwise I like, have them the most. So I’m branching out and picking other dramas. I really liked the k-drama Misty - it had normal interaction between lovers and not the childish ‘one person kiss while the other looks chocked’ type kisses. It was very refreshing. :kiss:

Good Bloody Romance was like no kissing at all :imp:

I “solve” endings I dislike in the way that I just create a new one for myself. Also when I dislike a given couple. The main reason I continued watching Bloody Romance was Gongzhi because he is played by the actor that was an important support character in the series I watched before so it was nice to see him again. This time as a character that was almost like the opposite of the character in that other story.

Funny thing is somehow that the way I thought he & Wan Mei would really be is much closer to the original written story (novel) and the TV character has more in common with the novel character then some of the others, especially Wan Mei.

It depends on the time/era. If you watch a story that’s middle age in Europe with Kings, Queens & Knights they would also behave different than when it is a story about 21th century lovers.

Yesterday I watched Quicksand on netflix. It was okay but thinking about the “love” aspect it was just meaningless like most modern stories ("oh she just date classmate X and then she likes Y too so for short time, she has something with X and Y at same time… and then this is called “love”). It’s really hard to find storys that take place in 21th century that include true love, imo.

I thought you wrote in another thread that you haven’t seen Bloody Romance. That is why I misunderstood your previous comment…
True - no kissing in this drama but that was ok since it had a decent story and good characters. I have never seen any of the actors before but I do like the character Gong Zi and how he’s very cool and collected most of the time but with Wan Mei you get to see that he does have feelings. It’s fun to see actors in different roles - especially if they are opposites.

In western dramas there are a lot of kissing and passion regardless of era. Just look at Game of Thrones for example. Lots of sex in that one. But it had too much violence so I stopped watching it and looked for something else. That is when I found Bride of the watergod - a k-drama and my very first asian drama which led me here to Viki :slight_smile:

Add Haechi - the lead girl is far from hysterical, she’s a police damo and very stable.

1 Like

Yeah that’s why I wrote that with the mistaken comment :slight_smile:

At that time I was watching Bloody Romance as TV version and didn’t finish all episodes I guess (cross over posts). After I saw all episodes I took a look at the novel version. Wan Mei and Gong Zi should be closer in the TV version as well (and they should have kept the thirst for blood aspect)

What I don’t know was the other show that was mentioned in that [other] thread.

Same here :smiley: I just can’t watch Game of Thrones… and some people I know always try “to convince” me that is is SO great or that EVERYONE needs to watch it but well… I just don’t like it/they way it is designed and the way the book/s are written (plus no cool costumes & settings like in Asian dynasty/fantasy stories :D)
GOT has only 65 episodes or so in ~9 years. I doubt they are able to capture all novels when one C-drama has ~65 episodes for just 1 novel.

I read an article about K-drama some days ago and they mentioned Bride of the Water God as well. I think it is somehow based on a manhwa I read for years but missed the last books and now 1 book costs 35-50 € (what is too much… normal price was around 6-8 €… and you can only buy it as US import (when you can’t read Korean)- again poor Europeans).
I’m not sure if I will watch it since I really like the manhwa (great story/characters & art); story differs from the TV show.

I thought to watch just one episde from “The King’s Woman” and got caught by it. You maybe like it. It is historical drama with nice costumes & sets, with well written story and characters and a strong female lead.
(Plus two main actors were important support characters of another series I really liked :D)

It is quite good for me to have several actors I like in the same show :innocent:

Maybeyou should also see if you find more series to a certain actor you like when you have problems to find a new show to watch.

Yes, I did read that Bride of the watergod was based on a book. I liked it since I knew nothing about it and had a open mind. But I never have a problem with reading the book and then watch the series/movie. I know I’m watching someone else’s view of the book and it won’t be like I imagine it.

I have seen the Kings Woman and Zhang Bin Bin is my latest celeb crush :heart_eyes: He plays a real emperor who was infamous for being cruel. I think he pulled it off. He was moody and gorgeous with great hair in The Flame’s daughter - also no hysterical female lead. I’ve seen the trailer for I Will Never Let You Go and I do suspect a silly female lead but I will watch it and hope it’s not too bad fingers crossed