--A Subtitling Question--

Very much so, thank you! Goes to show that a person never stops learning. :blush:

2 Likes

@bozoli, you probably already do something like this. I’ll mention it, though, just on the off-chance you find it interesting. Because you’re translating from English, the English sub sits above your language. This could be very, very useful.

If the English subs have been well-fitted to the segments, the length of an English sub shows how many characters you have to work with in that segment.

subtitles%204%20-%20english%20to%20another%20language

In the above image…

The #1 subtitle (green) is slightly shorter than the English sub so the French one had a few extra characters to work with if needed.

In the #2 subtitle (red), the French sub is a bit longer than the English one so it might not sit as comfortably. If it feels a little rushed, It might pay to shorten it if possible.

This is only a guide because the subtitle editor doesn’t use a fixed-space font. It’s also possible that the segments had more time than was needed for the English sub so there is space to work with when translating. Still, this visual guide should work most of the time.

If you are interested in trying this approach out, I’m currently the CM for “Love in Time.” It’s a 6-episode web drama and each episode is about 20 minutes long.

Viki has given it to me to update because it was never worked on by an English team when it was released. This time around, the show’s GE, TE and I have been quite thorough in getting the English subs timed comfortably. If you want to try the above approach to see if it works, I’m in need of a Serbo-Croation Moderator and team.

It will be another week or so before the series is ready for other languages. There’s also no urgency in getting it finished because it’s sat around unfinished for a couple of years.

Just a thought :slight_smile:
Manganese

P.S. I agree! There’s always something new to learn somewhere :slight_smile:

3 Likes