[Announcement] Learn Mode - A New Badge Opportunity!

Looking for other ways to contribute? You can caption for Learn Mode!

It’s back-to-school season for many of you, and with that, we’re excited to announce a new badge opportunity for one of Viki’s language-learning features. You can now earn the new Learn Mode Badge! Read more about it below.

The Learn Mode Badge and How to Get It

Contribute a minimum of 300 captions to earn the Learn Mode badge!

*Please note that the badge will automatically appear in the “Badges” section of your Profile after contributing 300 captions. There will not be a pop-up notification in the Subtitle Editor tool.

What’s Learn Mode?

Learn Mode allows users to choose to display the origin language alongside their preferred subtitle track. For Learn Mode to be activated, captioning for videos must be at least 50% complete – and that’s where we need your help! Captioning is a fun way to contribute even if you don’t know a second language. And best of all, it transforms your favorite show into a language-learning tool for everyone! Binge-watch and boost your language skills!

Why Caption for Learn Mode?

• It’s a great way to contribute if you’re not sure where to start, or if you speak the source language of the show, but not a second language
  • Channels with completed captioning have the chance to be featured on the Viki-curated Learn the Basics language-learning Collections!

For more information on how to caption for Learn Mode, you can check out our [FAQ here] (https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/231829048-How-to-use-Learn-Mode-).

To see the current Learn the Basics Collections, check out the links below:

If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding Learn Mode, please feel free to reach out to us via the [Help Center] (https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/requests/new).

All the best,
Viki Community Team

7 Likes

@helenawang5717_57 I found it back! The playlist they made!!

I feel it’s not convenient to use it.
Can we have a Learn Mode with a window next to it or at the bottom of the video with sentences?
What about Learn Mode shortcuts?

I find it easier to navigate in the subtitle editor than the own learn mode to: pause, repeat, replay each sentence thanks to subtitle editor shortcuts and it stops at the end of each sentence and we can skip to next sentence with keyboard shortcut.
I don’t like to have to click with the mouse on next next next or repeat repeat repeat on Learn Mode.

I am not going to ask to be Chinese mod or All languages mod to be able to have the interface of the subtitle editor to learn, but it’s a pity.
Can’t we enter the subtitle editor and freeze it so we can see subs boxes in the sub editor but we can’t touch them? Like it is just for reading and navigating with shortcuts. At the same time, we have the English subs and Chinese subs on video on the left and we can click on them for words (like it is right now).

The interface for learn mode lacks something for a better learning flow.

There would be 3 pannels:

• Left = video as it is right now for Learn Mode

• Middle = pannel with subs and 4-5 boxes so we can navigate easily between boxes of dialogues, replay, stop, next with keyboard shortcuts.
    In this pannel, we have in this order:
    -Pinyin
    -Chinese
    -English

• Right = no need to click on vocabulary words each time, that is tiring. Just show the voc words + their definition + sound according to the box we stopped at:
    爱: love + sound :sound:
    能: can :sound:
    Etc.

That’d be easier to learn.

2 Likes

Is this opportunity still available?

2 Likes

Sadly, no. This function is no longer available (effective July 31, 2023).

For ref:

1. Sunsetting of Learn Mode Feature

2. Viki’s Learn Mode is the future of edutainment - May 2017

4 Likes