Annoying subtitles that bothers Me/Myself and I/ to see them here at this site

Summary

The first and last should be changed, IMO.
However, the second one is correct. “You are not worried?” is not proper English. “You are not worried” is a statement, not a question. The listener knows you’re asking a question only because you change the tone of your voice for the last word.
“Aren’t you worried” = “Are you not worried?” This is a proper interrogating sentence. “Are you not” sounds weird to modern ears, so we usually say “Aren’t”.

Is, Am, Are, Was Were — When these to-be verbs are used at the beginning of a sentence, it becomes an interrogatory sentence.
“Are you worried?”
“Aren’t you worried?”

“Were you at the scene last night?”
“Weren’t you at the scene last night?”

5 Likes

I changed them :slight_smile: I’m always open to suggestions. It’s totally possible that I missed something.
If you see that I’m the CE and something should be changed, don’t hesitate to send me a message! I’ll gladly go back and change anything that’s wrong.

7 Likes

I might see things differently in college. I definitely have lots to learn. I understand that this is a topic about subtitles you find annoying, but grammar is not based on someone’s personal opinion. As an editor myself, I would definitely feel frustrated if someone wrote that my subs annoyed them, even though the grammar is perfectly acceptable. When you post about a sub that annoys you, there are editors here who see them and evaluate their own work.

“You aren’t worried?” is way less formal than “Aren’t you worried?”. It is not an interrogatory sentence. I don’t want to be rude, but this is basic elementary grammar. If my words can’t be trusted, please trust my trainer, @worthyromance. I don’t think she’s active now, but she’s an educated adult from North America. She always told us that interrogatory sentences DO NOT start with “You”. Only if there was absolutely no way to change the sentence without changing the speaker’s intentions, we were permitted to start an interrogatory sentence with “You”.

I apologize for starting an argument. I won’t post anymore about this topic.

11 Likes

afbeelding

2 Likes

When subbers use, “gotta.” It’s so out of place and sounds funny while reading it on screen.

“I gotta go.” :rofl:

I don’t know if Rviki subbers are doing it but I’ve seen it on other sites.

4 Likes

Many, many Chief Editors include this in their Subbing Guidelines, and specifically say that it shouldn’t be used. Gonna, gotcha, wanna, and of course “anyways”. We also include a shortened version of the guidelines on Team Notes, and this is always included. Of course subbers continue to write those things, because most of them can’t be bothered to read guidelines and Team Notes. So we keep correcting them.
These here are veteran Chief Editor cgwm808’s Guidelines, which are followed by many if not most teams here. And these are mine.

8 Likes

Why removing because you dislike it, perhaps the subtitler thinks it’s okay because nobody said anything, if something is wrong, a mod needs to tell her/him not to make mistakes or change whatever… a volunteer can always learn… newbies just need more guidance, mistakes happen and can be corrected… it’s better to teach someone to do a better job than fire them…

Well, it’s grammatically not wrong, it’s perhaps esthetically not good looking or just a personal preference to like or dislike it…

7 Likes

@midknightmoodz

They have them here in the subs, but you haven’t come across them YET, (lol) you will. It used to be worst years back, and I wrote so much about it, and got criticized for doing that, too. But THANK THE LORD, it ‘‘died down’’ and you won’t see it as much in here at RVIKi.
When I come across subs with those words I will post them here (under summary) to avoid hurting the subbers feeling… :wink::wink::wink:

3 Likes

:rofl:

Made my day (as gamers would say).

5 Likes

‘‘They haven’t any’’ would actually be ‘‘they have not any’’; We must think what the contraction means. ‘‘They have not any’’; doesn’t make sense. For example: There’s no guarantees in life means ‘‘There is no guarantees’’; (incorrect). ‘‘There are no guarantees’’; has the proper verb. I think out the contraction in my head to see if I’m using the right word.

sonmachinima Haven’t you know how to pose properly?

Let’s work on the contraction @sonmachinima used here for example;

WE BREAK THE CONTRACTION DOWN
HAVE NOT YOU KNOW TO POSE PROPERLY? Doesn’t sound right, do you agree with me?

If you are proficient enough in English you know that something is very wrong in the sentence and you start working on making it a correct sentence like I explained above ^^^

Although POSE was incorrect spelling? word usage? even if you have spell checker, it won’t be detected as ‘‘wrong spelling or wrong word usage in sentence’’ TRANSLATORS doesn’t have that capability, but how MUCH you really know in English does make you capable enough to recognize this things.

Hope you appreciate the input/info.

1 Like

TO WHOMEVER wants to know…

As nouns the difference between: [boringness] and [boredom]

Boringness is the state or condition of being a boring (person); while boredom is, the state of being bored. That is why… in that specific scene, and in that sentence, the appropriate word to have been used was: BOREDOM. I believe the subber used a GT or whatever translator, and these tool has no way of knowing; if that would be the correct one(word) in that sentence. Boringness IS A REAL WORD, can be used in sentence, where that word will make more sense.

I didn’t wanted to continue discussing here, and creating a back and forth thing, but I feel that if I don’t explain this ‘‘wrong word usage in a sentence’’ some people/subbers here, MAYBE will continue using it here, so I decided to explain my ‘‘issue’’ with this word (that is not personal but logical). I hope they don’t start using this word to ‘‘spite me personally’’ like they do with the word: ‘‘Anyways’’ (I see it now in subtitles more than I have EVER seeing it here; years back).

So I encountered several annoying subtitles today, but one that drove me bonkers was the one below, and I want to see how they’ll be fixing/correcting that one, when I check later on that is, (will give editors time). Even I was breaking my head with this one. Poor editors no wonder some feel so overwhelmed…

[SUBTITLE] ARE YOU FREE ON THE MONDAY AFTER NEXT? (This has got to be a pre-sub [sentence] in that drama).

1 Like

Maybe the person was trying to say - “Are you free on the Monday after next Monday?” ??

2 Likes

“Monday after next” sounds like the old English way of speaking. We don’t hear it in American English as much but if you hang out with the older gen. you might still hear these types of expressions.

My ex-coworkers uses them and I’ve gotten familiar with it.

2 Likes

@sandeepsandhu
Yes, that’s exactly what they meant to say, but written like that; Does it sound right to you?

@midknightmoodz
Makes me wonder how old the person that wrote that specific subtitle must be then…:thinking:
Never heard/saw it written or expressed like that in my life. This is a first for me. That is why it shocked me when I saw that subtitle here at this site.

2 Likes

This is used in the South also - I am Southern and I would say

Let’s go to the play the Tuesday after Next!!! Sounds very normal to me!

Some people will even say “Tuesday Week”
which means the closest Tuesday

3 Likes

Wow that’s interesting to know! Thanks for sharing that here @kdrama2020ali

It’s funny, but as hard as I try, I can’t understand a heavy Southern accent, but of course, there are no southerners by my area, so I can get use to the way they talk and understand them better.

So @kdrama2020ali I’m curious to know. You think this could be a sub from a Southerner volunteer here at viki? Would you have written the subtitle/sentence like that? I’m just curious.

2 Likes

Yes - I would have written like this.

As stated above I was googling - and some of these sayings are British English. Maybe the person could also be from England.

I see no problem with this subtitle

I may have just said “are you free the Monday after next”
leaving out on

5 Likes

To me it sounds natural. I’m from the Midwest. Maybe it’s a regional thing?

I hear it quite often.

The only other way to say it, (that I know of is) “in a fortnight.” It’s not really used anymore though.

5 Likes

I love when I hear that!!!

I agree I hear it all the time so it doesn’t even register

3 Likes