Annoying subtitles that bothers Me/Myself and I/ to see them here at this site

‘‘They haven’t any’’ would actually be ‘‘they have not any’’; We must think what the contraction means. ‘‘They have not any’’; doesn’t make sense. For example: There’s no guarantees in life means ‘‘There is no guarantees’’; (incorrect). ‘‘There are no guarantees’’; has the proper verb. I think out the contraction in my head to see if I’m using the right word.

sonmachinima Haven’t you know how to pose properly?

Let’s work on the contraction @sonmachinima used here for example;

WE BREAK THE CONTRACTION DOWN
HAVE NOT YOU KNOW TO POSE PROPERLY? Doesn’t sound right, do you agree with me?

If you are proficient enough in English you know that something is very wrong in the sentence and you start working on making it a correct sentence like I explained above ^^^

Although POSE was incorrect spelling? word usage? even if you have spell checker, it won’t be detected as ‘‘wrong spelling or wrong word usage in sentence’’ TRANSLATORS doesn’t have that capability, but how MUCH you really know in English does make you capable enough to recognize this things.

Hope you appreciate the input/info.

1 Like

TO WHOMEVER wants to know…

As nouns the difference between: [boringness] and [boredom]

Boringness is the state or condition of being a boring (person); while boredom is, the state of being bored. That is why… in that specific scene, and in that sentence, the appropriate word to have been used was: BOREDOM. I believe the subber used a GT or whatever translator, and these tool has no way of knowing; if that would be the correct one(word) in that sentence. Boringness IS A REAL WORD, can be used in sentence, where that word will make more sense.

I didn’t wanted to continue discussing here, and creating a back and forth thing, but I feel that if I don’t explain this ‘‘wrong word usage in a sentence’’ some people/subbers here, MAYBE will continue using it here, so I decided to explain my ‘‘issue’’ with this word (that is not personal but logical). I hope they don’t start using this word to ‘‘spite me personally’’ like they do with the word: ‘‘Anyways’’ (I see it now in subtitles more than I have EVER seeing it here; years back).

So I encountered several annoying subtitles today, but one that drove me bonkers was the one below, and I want to see how they’ll be fixing/correcting that one, when I check later on that is, (will give editors time). Even I was breaking my head with this one. Poor editors no wonder some feel so overwhelmed…

[SUBTITLE] ARE YOU FREE ON THE MONDAY AFTER NEXT? (This has got to be a pre-sub [sentence] in that drama).

1 Like

Maybe the person was trying to say - “Are you free on the Monday after next Monday?” ??

2 Likes

“Monday after next” sounds like the old English way of speaking. We don’t hear it in American English as much but if you hang out with the older gen. you might still hear these types of expressions.

My ex-coworkers uses them and I’ve gotten familiar with it.

2 Likes

@sandeepsandhu
Yes, that’s exactly what they meant to say, but written like that; Does it sound right to you?

@midknightmoodz
Makes me wonder how old the person that wrote that specific subtitle must be then…:thinking:
Never heard/saw it written or expressed like that in my life. This is a first for me. That is why it shocked me when I saw that subtitle here at this site.

2 Likes

This is used in the South also - I am Southern and I would say

Let’s go to the play the Tuesday after Next!!! Sounds very normal to me!

Some people will even say “Tuesday Week”
which means the closest Tuesday

3 Likes

Wow that’s interesting to know! Thanks for sharing that here @kdrama2020ali

It’s funny, but as hard as I try, I can’t understand a heavy Southern accent, but of course, there are no southerners by my area, so I can get use to the way they talk and understand them better.

So @kdrama2020ali I’m curious to know. You think this could be a sub from a Southerner volunteer here at viki? Would you have written the subtitle/sentence like that? I’m just curious.

2 Likes

Yes - I would have written like this.

As stated above I was googling - and some of these sayings are British English. Maybe the person could also be from England.

I see no problem with this subtitle

I may have just said “are you free the Monday after next”
leaving out on

5 Likes

To me it sounds natural. I’m from the Midwest. Maybe it’s a regional thing?

I hear it quite often.

The only other way to say it, (that I know of is) “in a fortnight.” It’s not really used anymore though.

5 Likes

I love when I hear that!!!

I agree I hear it all the time so it doesn’t even register

3 Likes

Or by someone who was taught British English in school, like it is often the case here in German schools.

I would’ve written it in the same way.

6 Likes

[quote=“kdrama2020ali, post:77, topic:41140”]
I may have just said “are you free the Monday after next”
leaving out on
[/quote]

I agree the [ON] but also the [THE] is what doesn’t go too well there for me either. I’m glad you saw that, too.

PS. I personally thought it was just a [Google translation] Gone wrong. [ON THE MONDAY]

Found an interesting information excerpt GS
How do you say Monday after next?

When I refer to the very next Monday that will occur in the future, I say “next Monday”. Some colleagues refer to it as " this Monday ", with “next Monday” meaning the second Monday which will occur in the future (I would refer to that as “Monday week”, “this Monday” to me would mean the most recent Monday in the past).

[ME/MYSELF/ And I…(opinion)
I would say/write this COMING Monday
“next Monday” I would say/write Not this Monday but NEXT Monday (good for those who love to add subs count) this will all add up. lol

1 Like

So as is: ARE YOU FREE ON THE MONDAY AFTER NEXT?

ARE is the present tense, and they are meeting sometime in the near future (second Monday to be exact; if he’s available).

SO THE [ARE] no longer makes sense there and it has to be changed to [WOULD] YOU (BE) FREE NOT THIS MONDAY (BUT) the next?

Would You Be Free not this coming Monday, but the next?

Would you be Free not [THIS] Monday, but [NEXT] Monday?

(NOT my favorite sentence) but… can be written like this: WOULD YOU BE FREE THIS SECOND MONDAY?

***Would you be free on the second Monday of this month? ***

PS. IF you are going to keep the word [ARE] in the sentence, you can do so by adding [GOING] ARE YOU GOING TO BE FREE…

Any other Suggestions?

I was just trying to point out that maybe it is not necessarily what everyone would say.

It can be regional - like POP, COKE, SODA - I say SODA

People around me and even I say
“Are you FREE the Monday after Next.” and like I said Monday Week -

not necessarily whether it is grammatical correct but it can be a colloquial expression.

4 Likes

You’re funny, and always go the other way around, which is what’s so much fun about your great personality.

I wasn’t referring to the colloquial part, but as a subtitle here at this site. But I see your point clearly, and I was just asking for suggestion as subtitles.

Girl, the way I talk at with friends, at home, and the way I write here, are TWO complete opposites. :rofl:

2 Likes

Sounds similar confusing like in German, because we also have “this/next” and some use “coming” but with “coming” it could be interpreted as “next” too because some mean coming week and some coming day…

And not everyone starts the “personal” week counter at the same day so this and next is mostly the clearest way to express it.

If the day is past we’d say “last Monday” in German. And if it’s a another past Monday we’d say something like “Monday two weeks ago” (or ‘vorletzten’).

And Monday in two weeks could also be ‘übernächsten’ Monday.

5 Likes

It’s almost the year 2022, and we still have here at Rviki a subtitle/word that doesn’t exist in the Dictionary. A word that recently, I have seen two elderly people (actors) ‘‘supposedly’’ saying the word [Anyways]. I ask myself: what need is there for any EDITOR here at this site to have to see this word in a subtitle and have to fix it? Where is the respect to the actors and the Korean population, that I know would NEVER/EVER say the word [ANYWAYS], even as a joke, especially when we are talking about a elderly person which deserve more respect than that. These subbers are ignoring the most fundamental things here at RVIKI: READ the SUBBING Guidelines, follow rules from the EXPERTS, check your work and double check it, and please LEARN already, that the word [ANYWAYS] has no place in the subtitles here at RVIKI. bc there is no SUCH word. Thank you for the attention.

1 Like

According to previous scene I saw, and conversation going on in there: (suggestions)

ANYWAY, I think everything turned out great (something is missing here) in the end?

ANYHOW, I think everything turned out great [anyway].—NOT MY FAVE but …better than anyways.

ANYHOW, I think everything turned out great (in the end).

Nonetheless, I think everything turned out great…

No matter what, I think everything turned out great (in the end).

Nevertheless, I [still] think everything turned out great.

With so many options to pick the one and only word, that is used by young kids ‘‘street talk’’ and besides the point, a word that doesn’t exist in ANY Dictionary (unlike BORINGNESS the shocker for me since the sound is so awkward and I never heard it before at my 60’s) lol

My apologies I don’t want this to be seen as instigation, is just that I know this person is not bad at all writing in English, so I did an experiment and added the sentence first in German.

German: Weißt du nicht, wie man richtig posiert?

Translation results using Google Translate Only.

Don’t you know how to pose properly?

And I got this sentence which makes so much sense when using the contraction…Don’t and not Haven’t.

I realized if a person use GT there is a possibility on getting a better sentence after all, except in this case, another word in the sentence was also incorrect (pose instead of post). Unless it was spotted on time, it would still stay as an incorrect sentence.

Using Dutch this came out

1. Not sure how to pose?
    Weet je niet zeker hoe je moet poseren?
  2. Are you not sure how to pose?
    Weet je niet zeker hoe je moet poseren?
  3. Aren’t you not sure how to pose?

Not an useful English sentence from Dutch language: sentence #1 is an incomplete sentence. It’s more a question that needs an answer. #2 and #3 Are unacceptable as a sentence, and it needs to be corrected. It’s considered incorrect word usage in a sentence. Contraction or no contraction.

It corroborates my theory that a lot of the incomplete sentence I see here on RViki in some dramas as SUBTITLES, come from either Google Translate or any other translation tool used solely by the subber writing the subtitle. If is a pre-sub drama it’s still a subber’s mistake since when we are proficient enough in English, we can spot them as being wrong sentence structure right away/on the spot.