Viki

Annoying subtitles that bothers Me/Myself and I/ to see them here at this site

afbeelding

When subbers use, “gotta.” It’s so out of place and sounds funny while reading it on screen.

“I gotta go.” :rofl:

I don’t know if Rviki subbers are doing it but I’ve seen it on other sites.

Many, many Chief Editors include this in their Subbing Guidelines, and specifically say that it shouldn’t be used. Gonna, gotcha, wanna, and of course “anyways”. We also include a shortened version of the guidelines on Team Notes, and this is always included. Of course subbers continue to write those things, because most of them can’t be bothered to read guidelines and Team Notes. So we keep correcting them.
These here are veteran Chief Editor cgwm808’s Guidelines, which are followed by many if not most teams here. And these are mine.

Why removing because you dislike it, perhaps the subtitler thinks it’s okay because nobody said anything, if something is wrong, a mod needs to tell her/him not to make mistakes or change whatever… a volunteer can always learn… newbies just need more guidance, mistakes happen and can be corrected… it’s better to teach someone to do a better job than fire them…

Well, it’s grammatically not wrong, it’s perhaps esthetically not good looking or just a personal preference to like or dislike it…

@midknightmoodz

They have them here in the subs, but you haven’t come across them YET, (lol) you will. It used to be worst years back, and I wrote so much about it, and got criticized for doing that, too. But THANK THE LORD, it ‘‘died down’’ and you won’t see it as much in here at RVIKi.
When I come across subs with those words I will post them here (under summary) to avoid hurting the subbers feeling… :wink::wink::wink:

:rofl:

Made my day (as gamers would say).

Wishing Mrs. @worthyromance a speedy recovery so she can grace us with her wonderful knowledge and wise advise to many subbers here that really need the help. I am so sorry that she’s going through hardhips and MY PRAYERS are with you. MAY GOD restore your home, needs and more abundantly your HEALTH.

worthyromance

Summary

I have read your announcement regarding the editor role.

Editor Position Requirement
General Editor Fluent in English + Familiarity with Viki’s subtitle guidelines
Translation Editor Translation Experience + Fluent in Origin Language + Fluent in English
Chief Editor Translation Experience + Fluent in English + QC / Gold QC (QC/QC Gold Status)

Do you mean that a person cannot be a CE if s/he doesn’t speak another language? There are many Chief Editors who only speak English and have not translated to other languages. You will lose many Chief Editors if you stipulate they must be able to translate another language. If you mean that they have subtitling experience and QC or Gold status, that is different! Please clarify this!

If you specify they must have translating experience, then I have worked with only one CE who speaks the origin language. If you really mean translation experience in any language , a person who translates Czech is not necessarily excellent in English grammar and punctuation! My hubby has translated documents to Czech, but he always has to ask me how to spell simple words such as “through.” He is highly fluent in English and can converse in philosophical to scientific topics, but he can’t spell in English! And someone who spells well in another language may not know the proper spelling or grammatical rules in English!

I am also very concerned about this: Each channel has it’s own channel manager who can decide what is best for the channel in regards to editing. If a channel manager feels that the channel only needs a Chief Editor, they can make this decision. Please note that recommendations for other editor positions would come from the channel manager or other editors.

angelight313_168
[MY NOTE: This is a VERY important thing to understand. WE NEED to add more English language native speakers that are PROFICIENT IN ENGLISH as EDITORS/CE/GE at this site, so stop NOT adding them to teams, and stop giving them absurd excuses as to why they don’t get added in the teams. I have read enough amount of excuses already]

I have seen subtitles that make no sense in American English because the team is European. Examples: they put the present in the boot (would be a car trunk in North America); they entered the lift (would be an elevator in North America). Imagine if you narrow down the editing team to only one CE who doesn’t speak the origin language but has translated a little-known language!

One-third of all pre-subs are incorrect. We are having this issue on one drama where the pre-subs are almost 90% incomplete or incorrect! We had to get the TE necessary assistance from a subtitler who can fix the pre-subs first!

Because many movies are coming pre-subbed, many CMs have no idea that they still need a Chief Segmenter and someone to check the translation. They only know that pre-subs are grammatically incorrect and missing punctuation. If such a CM would opt for only a CE, the movie subtitles would sink to a very poor state. Our subtitles would decline to the standard of YouTube, where anyone tries to sub, and pirated sites.

Right now, some CEs are doing up to ten shows at a time. I applaud that Viki buys lots of shows for its viewers, but volunteer editors are swamped! If you narrow down who can be a CE to translators, we will have even fewer proper Chief Editors and I really doubt their quality of English!

I know I’m one of the few editors who takes the time to second check my work. I find I missed a few errors whenever I do my second check. I can tell you honestly, most Chief Editors rely on the GE to be consistent with the spelling of character names and that the subs flow in proper English. When I am CE, I find that having a good GE cuts my editing time in half.

Giving a CM the option not to have a TE is just wrong, but to not have a decent GE will overwhelm the subbing community! Many North American viewers value the good subtitles on Viki. Please ensure this continues!

I DISCOVERED THIS TREASURE HERE TODAY, AND I HOPE YOU LOOK INTO IT, LEARN FROM IT, AND ENJOY THE BEST NOTES I HAVE READ SO FAR. THANK YOU @worthyromance. COME Back soon!

NOTES from @worthyromance ABOUT CONTRACTIONS
CONTRACTIONS

If there is enough time in the segment, I don’t use a contraction, but often times, there isn’t enough time (space in the segment).

I try to avoid ones that can be easily misread by other languages such as:

He’ll; hell

We’ll; well

She’ll; shell

We’re; were

There’s no problem using contractions like don’t, won’t, can’t, it’s, I’m, etc. I avoid should’ve, would’ve, could’ve, must’ve, etc. which are awkward. Use should have, would have, could have, must have.

‘‘They haven’t any’’ would actually be ‘‘they have not any’’; We must think what the contraction means. ‘‘They have not any’’; doesn’t make sense. For example: There’s no guarantees in life means ‘‘There is no guarantees’’; (incorrect). ‘‘There are no guarantees’’; has the proper verb. I think out the contraction in my head to see if I’m using the right word.

‘‘They haven’t any’’ would actually be ‘‘they have not any’’; We must think what the contraction means. ‘‘They have not any’’; doesn’t make sense. For example: There’s no guarantees in life means ‘‘There is no guarantees’’; (incorrect). ‘‘There are no guarantees’’; has the proper verb. I think out the contraction in my head to see if I’m using the right word.

sonmachinima Haven’t you know how to pose properly?

Let’s work on the contraction @sonmachinima used here for example;

WE BREAK THE CONTRACTION DOWN
HAVE NOT YOU KNOW TO POSE PROPERLY? Doesn’t sound right, do you agree with me?

If you are proficient enough in English you know that something is very wrong in the sentence and you start working on making it a correct sentence like I explained above ^^^

Although POSE was incorrect spelling? word usage? even if you have spell checker, it won’t be detected as ‘‘wrong spelling or wrong word usage in sentence’’ TRANSLATORS doesn’t have that capability, but how MUCH you really know in English does make you capable enough to recognize this things.

Hope you appreciate the input/info.

TO WHOMEVER wants to know…

As nouns the difference between: [boringness] and [boredom]

Boringness is the state or condition of being a boring (person); while boredom is, the state of being bored. That is why… in that specific scene, and in that sentence, the appropriate word to have been used was: BOREDOM. I believe the subber used a GT or whatever translator, and these tool has no way of knowing; if that would be the correct one(word) in that sentence. Boringness IS A REAL WORD, can be used in sentence, where that word will make more sense.

I didn’t wanted to continue discussing here, and creating a back and forth thing, but I feel that if I don’t explain this ‘‘wrong word usage in a sentence’’ some people/subbers here, MAYBE will continue using it here, so I decided to explain my ‘‘issue’’ with this word (that is not personal but logical). I hope they don’t start using this word to ‘‘spite me personally’’ like they do with the word: ‘‘Anyways’’ (I see it now in subtitles more than I have EVER seeing it here; years back).

So I encountered several annoying subtitles today, but one that drove me bonkers was the one below, and I want to see how they’ll be fixing/correcting that one, when I check later on that is, (will give editors time). Even I was breaking my head with this one. Poor editors no wonder some feel so overwhelmed…

[SUBTITLE] ARE YOU FREE ON THE MONDAY AFTER NEXT? (This has got to be a pre-sub [sentence] in that drama).

Maybe the person was trying to say - “Are you free on the Monday after next Monday?” ??

“Monday after next” sounds like the old English way of speaking. We don’t hear it in American English as much but if you hang out with the older gen. you might still hear these types of expressions.

My ex-coworkers uses them and I’ve gotten familiar with it.

@sandeepsandhu
Yes, that’s exactly what they meant to say, but written like that; Does it sound right to you?

@midknightmoodz
Makes me wonder how old the person that wrote that specific subtitle must be then…:thinking:
Never heard/saw it written or expressed like that in my life. This is a first for me. That is why it shocked me when I saw that subtitle here at this site.

This is used in the South also - I am Southern and I would say

Let’s go to the play the Tuesday after Next!!! Sounds very normal to me!

Some people will even say “Tuesday Week”
which means the closest Tuesday

Wow that’s interesting to know! Thanks for sharing that here @kdrama2020ali

It’s funny, but as hard as I try, I can’t understand a heavy Southern accent, but of course, there are no southerners by my area, so I can get use to the way they talk and understand them better.

So @kdrama2020ali I’m curious to know. You think this could be a sub from a Southerner volunteer here at viki? Would you have written the subtitle/sentence like that? I’m just curious.

Yes - I would have written like this.

As stated above I was googling - and some of these sayings are British English. Maybe the person could also be from England.

I see no problem with this subtitle

I may have just said “are you free the Monday after next”
leaving out on

To me it sounds natural. I’m from the Midwest. Maybe it’s a regional thing?

I hear it quite often.

The only other way to say it, (that I know of is) “in a fortnight.” It’s not really used anymore though.

I love when I hear that!!!

I agree I hear it all the time so it doesn’t even register