Annoying subtitles that bothers Me/Myself and I/ to see them here at this site

You’re funny, and always go the other way around, which is what’s so much fun about your great personality.

I wasn’t referring to the colloquial part, but as a subtitle here at this site. But I see your point clearly, and I was just asking for suggestion as subtitles.

Girl, the way I talk at with friends, at home, and the way I write here, are TWO complete opposites. :rofl:

2 Likes

Sounds similar confusing like in German, because we also have “this/next” and some use “coming” but with “coming” it could be interpreted as “next” too because some mean coming week and some coming day…

And not everyone starts the “personal” week counter at the same day so this and next is mostly the clearest way to express it.

If the day is past we’d say “last Monday” in German. And if it’s a another past Monday we’d say something like “Monday two weeks ago” (or ‘vorletzten’).

And Monday in two weeks could also be ‘übernächsten’ Monday.

5 Likes

It’s almost the year 2022, and we still have here at Rviki a subtitle/word that doesn’t exist in the Dictionary. A word that recently, I have seen two elderly people (actors) ‘‘supposedly’’ saying the word [Anyways]. I ask myself: what need is there for any EDITOR here at this site to have to see this word in a subtitle and have to fix it? Where is the respect to the actors and the Korean population, that I know would NEVER/EVER say the word [ANYWAYS], even as a joke, especially when we are talking about a elderly person which deserve more respect than that. These subbers are ignoring the most fundamental things here at RVIKI: READ the SUBBING Guidelines, follow rules from the EXPERTS, check your work and double check it, and please LEARN already, that the word [ANYWAYS] has no place in the subtitles here at RVIKI. bc there is no SUCH word. Thank you for the attention.

1 Like

According to previous scene I saw, and conversation going on in there: (suggestions)

ANYWAY, I think everything turned out great (something is missing here) in the end?

ANYHOW, I think everything turned out great [anyway].—NOT MY FAVE but …better than anyways.

ANYHOW, I think everything turned out great (in the end).

Nonetheless, I think everything turned out great…

No matter what, I think everything turned out great (in the end).

Nevertheless, I [still] think everything turned out great.

With so many options to pick the one and only word, that is used by young kids ‘‘street talk’’ and besides the point, a word that doesn’t exist in ANY Dictionary (unlike BORINGNESS the shocker for me since the sound is so awkward and I never heard it before at my 60’s) lol

My apologies I don’t want this to be seen as instigation, is just that I know this person is not bad at all writing in English, so I did an experiment and added the sentence first in German.

German: Weißt du nicht, wie man richtig posiert?

Translation results using Google Translate Only.

Don’t you know how to pose properly?

And I got this sentence which makes so much sense when using the contraction…Don’t and not Haven’t.

I realized if a person use GT there is a possibility on getting a better sentence after all, except in this case, another word in the sentence was also incorrect (pose instead of post). Unless it was spotted on time, it would still stay as an incorrect sentence.

Using Dutch this came out

1. Not sure how to pose?
    Weet je niet zeker hoe je moet poseren?
  2. Are you not sure how to pose?
  3. Aren’t you not sure how to pose?

Not an useful English sentence from Dutch language: sentence #1 is an incomplete sentence. It’s more a question that needs an answer. #2 and #3 Are unacceptable as a sentence, and it needs to be corrected. It’s considered incorrect word usage in a sentence. Contraction or no contraction.

It corroborates my theory that a lot of the incomplete sentence I see here on RViki in some dramas as SUBTITLES, come from either Google Translate or any other translation tool used solely by the subber writing the subtitle. If is a pre-sub drama it’s still a subber’s mistake since when we are proficient enough in English, we can spot them as being wrong sentence structure right away/on the spot.

The Dutch version sounds too unnatural here.

Actually, some of the presubs are machine translations.

2 Likes

mirjam_465Actually, some of the presubs are machine translations.

The way machine translations work is, that the information that was input into the computer is done by human beings (mistakes are possible). That is why I said ‘‘is still a subber’s mistake’’ if they leave the pre-sub sentence as is, without fixing it.

Not sure how to pose?
mirjam_465The Dutch version sounds too unnatural here.

I think I wrote about this to you a long time ago where this situation that I’m seeing a lot lately in the subtitles here at RViki lately. I call it the ‘‘domino effect’’ once a sentence/subtitle is written wrong/incorrect, the OL will continue the cycle of adding a wrong/incorrect sentence/subtitle in their own respective language.

Unless they are proficient enough in English, and know/see that [Not sure how to pose?] was written incorrect, the sentence bc is an incomplete sentence will sound unnatural/wrong/weird, in any other language that it gets translated.

It’s not that they have to be ''The Perfect English sentence/subtitle; reality is, if it doesn’t sound right it’s bc is not right, and as subbers they have to fix it and make it right. That is why I feel not everyone can be an EDITOR. There are several qualifications one must have in order to be an Editor in a drama, and some here lack in the English language, but are being recruited as Editors in English, no less. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

1 Like

This is true, but even if the input (from the human being) in itself is correct, the machine might still use it in the wrong context.

Indeed. In the best case, the OL mod/subber knows enough English to understand what is being said and puts that into words in his/her own language. Sadly, this doesn’t always happen.

I agree.

1 Like

I was hoping you gave us some of the Dutch sentence I wrote in there and fix them for others to see and learn, too.

Not sure how to pose?

How would you fix this sentence and make it sound natural?

Would you leave the English sentence like that? Or you have to change the English sentence so it can sound right in Dutch?

I really appreciate your input. Thanks a lot.:hugs:

This made me laugh because even with human-made subs and after English edit, there are weird/wrong lines left and many OL subbers think the English teams don’t make any mistakes at all so it could happen that instead of realizing that a typo is just a typo, the OL subber might tell the OL mod there is a word they don’t know and if the OL mod tells them, it’s just a typo some won’t believe it until it’s verified by the English team…

It could also happen that the English subs are correct but something can’t be said in that way in another language but if OL subbers stick to wordly translation the OL result will be wrong.

Then there are English subs that don’t make sense at all but only when the subber is thinking about it/the context/scene they’ll realize it (some just translate without thinking at all and then a “court” in a palace/harem will become a lawcase… because the English subs skipped yard).

6 Likes

I would turn the English sentence into a complete one, like we were taught in editor training, but even after that, I would not literally translate it to Dutch. I would rather say:

“Weet je niet precies hoe je moet poseren?”

Literally, that means “Don’t you know precisely how to pose?” but it is how a Dutch person would say it.

3 Likes

@sonmachinima
Wow everything you wrote makes so much sense if only some subbers see what you wrote here, read it carefully, and apply it to themselves by rethinking their best approach when they see this situation in the subtitles, and find a way to fix them; which thankfully you always see them, and @mirjam_465 too

@mirjam_465
I am finally understanding a lot of stuff when it comes to OL, and the way they have to write the sentence, in order to be correct for the readers/viewers that are reading/watching the drama. Although I still think that if the English sub/sentence is written correctly, the OL subbers won’t have such a hard time when translating into their own respective language.

Thanks to both for the input here, and I hope it can benefit others that read this.

1 Like

And this is exactly what we (or at least some of us) try to do. We strive for subtitles that are not only correct, but also easy to translate.

3 Likes

@mirjam_465

Sorry to be a pain; I found out that some English words in OL (other countries) they don’t have a word for certain words; so I wanted to ask you if there is a word in Dutch that is similar to

1. boringness.

2)What about the word boredom?

1. bored?

saaiheid

verveling

to be bored = zich vervelen
He is bored. = Hij verveelt zich.
He is boring. = Hij is saai.

1 Like

Thanks! have you found words in English that can’t be translated in Dutch?

Have you and @sonmachinima thought about making in your language GERMAN/DUTCH one of those [Editor’s note Google.com spreadsheet] to help the newbies and others, too?

I believe that rules and notes are two totally different things, and detailed notes can help the newbie subbers to work together at the same pace, while learning important things, that will benefit the team in the long run so much more. Besides the fact that the new subber can find answers in this note, instead of waiting for answers, that some team members don’t care or want to take the time to give to the newbie subber.

Rules given do not explain how to correct a mistake, and most editor’s note/spreadsheet do. Although some subbers don’t even follow rules or read notes, is because there are no consequences for their actions (I saw this with my own eyes) In the team, moderators, editors etc. need to be more strict and make with certain that subbers, make one mistake, give them a chance after being warned, the second time they have to be out of the team. We are not children here, and if we don’t follow rules the first time, we won’t ever follow rules.

In the case of a Language where not too many subbers are available, then, the team must work with this subber, and the subber must be able to have all their questions answered, instead of being ignored (Like I have seen with my own eyes).

@angelight313_168

Boredom and boringness both exist in German. German is a very precise language compared to English. In case there is no German word/term or if it’s outdated, German language just borrows words from other languages. That’s nothing new. It’s part of German language.
Today terms related to IT are very often used 1:1 directly from English. Sometimes Germans also take English words and give them a new meaning that has nothing to do with the word’s origin meaning, two examples are: flat and handy. Flat means unlimited Volume for internet/phone/SMS while handy means mobile phone/smartphone.

This can cause problems for some translators too. Some words looks similar in both languages but have either a different meaning or are used in different context.

The basic tips are usually included in most mod’s documents.

I used to give personal feedback based on individual skill level because being new to Viki says nothing about someone’s sense for language and translation abilities.

Those who are struggling won’t become better just by reading notes, they need practise that explains the issues directly with examples of their own lines and suggestions how a good and easy to read line would look instead.

If someone (both, mod and subber) spend enough time, the subbers will probably make progress when they get help. Not everyone wants to spend so much time for that though.

4 Likes

An example that comes to mind now is that we don’t distinguish between high school and middle school. We would translate both as “middelbare school.”

That’s why we re-established the Dutch Subbing Academy. That way, we can help subbers/moderators with individual feedback and tips.

4 Likes

Actually, I’ve been a subber in a show where the moderator switched it to brugklas, onderbouw, bovenbouw, and all other kinds of words I had never heard before depending on the context of the English.

2 Likes

We use those terms here, but within one “middelbare school” so I would not use them to translate “high school” or “middle school.”

4 Likes