Annoying subtitles that bothers Me/Myself and I/ to see them here at this site

Korean is a difficult language, especially with all the homonyms, slangs, loan words, etc. but don’t give up.

Btw, 차려 also has multiple meanings depending on the context. Just to give a few example:

상 차려 (sahng-cha-ryeo) = set the table. Here, 차려 means “prepare” or “set”.
정신 차려 (jeong-sin-cha-ryeo) = wake up, come to your senses. Here, it means “regain”
가게 차려 (ga-gye-cha-ryeo) = set up (establish) a shop/store. Here it means, “establish”.

6 Likes

Viki will politely remind you to “let others play” when you talk to the same user of post too many things. Discord is like a group chat.

3 Likes

@choitrio

No honey I have no hope whatsoever to learn Korean. Much less after seeing that…

차려 also has multiple meanings depending on the context.

If I had the ‘‘youth’’ and ‘‘brains’’ I had back then, I’d say I had a chance, but those brain cells are fried by an autoimmune disease called Lupus, and age doesn’t forgive. You know the saying: ‘‘La edad no perdona.’’

PS. Finish the interview with your daughter in the other thread…please! You left us all hanging. You are one amazing person, and I’m glad to have met you through here, although in person would have been so much better.

3 Likes

I think you’ll be able to understand a lot of context and meanings because you watch so many dramas… i didnt even know how to spell 정신 차려 but i knew what it meant because I’d seen so many kdrama characters say it… and singers sing it.

The one on my mind is Think of You by Taemin
“정신 차려, 바보야”
Really good song, btw :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I got my hand slapped tonight in this thread already, lol.

4 Likes

Es verdad.

2 Likes

Even on NFLX they hav to keep the OL in mind cause even there they often use the english subtitles to translate. And not all of the translators are good with colloquialisims. Somtimes I have the feeling they know less than myself. :unamused:

3 Likes

even though we are aware of all those, we have to stick to some guidelines.

I love this song :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Hi!
The simplified Chinese subtitle on ‘Go Go Squid!’ is out of sync in learn mode.
I’ve reported the issue several times and to several people who have worked on it. What else can I do to have it corrected?

3 Likes

@bl90scndr_486

I’m so sorry I can’t be of much help with that issue. I didn’t even know they still had the learn mode here. I can tell you to report it to the HELP CENTER, but I know that’s just wasted time since no one answers or resolves problems/issues in dramas like they used to do in the past. I’m really missing my dear old viki… Good Luck! I hope someone can help you with this issue.

1 Like

Hi! I’ve just checked the first episode and the C simplified subtitles look fine and in sync. However, I could not activate Learn Mode. It’s unavailable for this drama, at least for now and for me. Were you able to activate Learn Mode?

What you can do:

1. Send a group message to the CM, CE, English and Chinese moderators.
  2. Open a ticket at the Help Center and they will look into it at some point in time.
    https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us

Good luck!:four_leaf_clover:

PS: @angelight313_168 It’s an OT (sorry about it) but I thought I’d respond as well.

3 Likes

@jadecloud88

Thank you so much! No, is not off topic at all. I was going to ask you before when I wrote the comment if you could help us with that issue, but I felt bad to impose of you, on your precious Sunday (well is Sunday still over here).

My Sunday is a painful one today since the flares are up today. All this packing is going to kill me. lol

The fact that he/she says they can see the Learn Mode baffles me bc I miss seeing those to learn Korean, Chinese, Japanese. They keep things I feel dont benefit much and remove the ones that can benefit the viewers so much more.

2 Likes

@choitrio @oriya

I just realized that we have no idea what the scene was all about since it was only mentioned ppl. seating at a table, and the conversation wasn’t even discussed except that @oriya was looking around for the coffee mentioned in the saying/subtitle. :rofl:

PS. I did learned something useful that in the Korean Language one word can mean so many other things depending on the scene playing. No wonder when I hear ‘‘I’m sorry’’ I get so confused when in the subtitle they don’t write ‘‘I’m sorry’’ and sometimes they write ‘‘it was my fault’’ or they write something totally different from the word ‘‘I’m sorry’’ They same goes with the word ‘‘it hurts’’ omg that word never gets the same meaning in the subtitles :rofl:.

1 Like

I can activate learn mode. Help Center got back to me:
"We’re really sorry to hear this and we appreciate you for highlighting this issue around the Learn Mode feature.

The team has been made aware of this, along with other known issues of Learn Mode. We are, however, unable to provide an estimated date for a fix as there are other issues that the team is currently prioritizing. Rest assured that this remains an important issue we will address in the future.

With any updates or changes around Learn Mode, we will definitely keep you informed.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter. Meanwhile, please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with today."

2 Likes

The subs that really annoy me are of this type:
“I will go recently.” (eternal champion, always comes up, in every single episode)
“The river left” (they translate the name of the hero, even in modern day dramas)

Some subtitles are clearly google-translated with no editing at all.

However, many times it makes sense to translate in a different way, because it makes more sense in the target language. I’m not talking about grammar mistakes or blatant mistranslations, just idioms and expressions that, if you translate them “correctly” they will make the viewers laugh or need a couple of seconds to “get it”.

“One sec, please” (Give me one second, please) --> In Greek, I’ve never heard “1 second”. We usually say “half a minute, please”. So, what do I do here? I respect the “1 sec”?

When Learn Mode was introduced, I was happy but I soon realised it is unusable, either because the translations were too litteral or because the subber made personal choices based on morals and their views on idioms.

Cursing: it is not the translators’ choice. If the original has curses, I translate curses. I am tired of searching action dramas elsewhere, because on Viki the psycho serial killer curses “Fudge!” like a 5-year-old kid, because the subber wanted it.

Idioms: There are many ways to speak about things. I find it totally justified to use idioms that match the meaning of the original. A mourning relative may say the dead “passed away” but other people might use another expression “τα τίναξε”, “ψόφησε” (not sure how to translate them, I’d probably use things like ‘‘kicked the bucket’’)

When I watch dramas and movies, I expect three things from subtitles:
a) to be well-segmented and well-timed
b) to make sense in context, so I won’t have to hit the pause button a hundred times during the episode and use software to translate from the original language subs
c) decent spelling and grammar

I think this is true in every language and this is why subbers must not use machine-translating.

3 Likes

No, you can change it to “half a minute please.” Whatever is more comfortable to read in your language :smile: We usually try to remove as many idioms as possible for easy and efficient OL translating, and sometimes we have to change up the literal translation because it takes too much subtitle space.

Not always, especially when translating from source language to English. All the OL teams will be using the English translation and idioms complicate things. A commonly used idiom in the US may be unheard of in India. There’s a very wide range of people who used English subs. We either explain the source language idiom in a TN or change it into a simple sentence.

Everything isn’t supposed to be the subber’s choice. In the above case, it’s a misuse of what we were taught to do. This goes the opposite way, too. I’ve watched a lot of movies with unnecessarily harsh language…

3 Likes

That’s a very valid explanation and I understand that it must be possible for all teams to work and all audiences to enjoy. Translating the original to another language through english is already hard enough and every little thing we can do to help matters a lot.

However, as I am very harsh on my reviews of dramas/movies (not on viki, I mean my opinion of dramas when I speak to my friends), I criticise the scenarios a lot. Sometimes there are word plays or insinuations or slips of the tongue or character traits that are especially valuable for the plot and they are literally lost in translation. I am confused, I think that they don’t exist and I say “what a lame writer!” or “what a lame dialogue line!” or “such a horrible explanation of the storyline!”. It is not funny when I realize that the scenario and the dialogues were, in fact, excellent and that I had no idea.

3 Likes

Well, since this is a volunteer community, we cant always have terrific subs… but I’ve seen quite a few shows with wonderful subbers who tried their best to let the viewers get the whole fun experience of the show. It takes meticulous editing and lots of effort to keep as much of the original fun as possible, and I respect all those who try to do that. I also try to do that as much as possible.

4 Likes

I agree that, although time consuming and difficult for the translators, explanations of wordplays can really enhance a viewer’s enjoyment. When you have spare time, I invite you to visit the “Word Play in K-dramas” thread.

3 Likes