Annoying subtitles that bothers Me/Myself and I/ to see them here at this site

With all this news of wars and senseless killings to an innocent child because he was muslim I feel my mind can’t take this anymore so I run to the chinese dramas on YT subbed by bad subbers and even AI translations that at times can be hilarious. The saying goes: ‘‘If you can’t beat them join them.’’

When I say ‘‘join them’’ I mean I use them to get a good laugh when everything seems so evil, bleak and dark, and I know that all these things happening now were written thousands of years ago and there’s nothing that we can do but wait, and hope the mercy falls upon us and our love ones.

So we have great stories (but some annoying scenes too) and this great drama was masacre by the AI and human subbers too because is easy to see the difference since AI can’t seem to recognize FEMALE as SHE/HER etc. They act like women don’t exist since they are always addressed as a male HIM/HE/HIS etc. ANNOYING SUBTITLES, but some are so funny to read and have a good laugh to get a dose of medicine for the heart that needs a break… :wink:

So this one was my fave
THE ML finds out the FL has been kidnapped and in anguish he calls his assistant, and in a desperate voice orders him to…

• CALL THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION AND FIND OUT WHO KIDNAPPED HIM (HER!) (must be AI translation of course…lol

The ML says about the FL
YUWEN (FL name?) already died in a car accident. She died again in prison now.
In fact, she doesn’t have to do that originally.

ML tells SFL

• Not sending (ML is mad at her for harming FL) Basically he meant he would not walk her to the door.

SFL tells the ML

• Can you look back at me?
    Here I don’t know if she means CAN YOU FORGIVE ME? or CAN YOU GIVE ME ANOTHER CHANCE?

So they seem to have a problem giving the ML and FL the proper name and when the FL lead faints the ML runs to her and says

• ACTUALLY!

In another scene he calls the FL as-

• INFRIGEDMENT

In another scene he calls the FL

• CLEAR SPRING

Now this one was a riot for me since it was suppose to be a very dramatic scene.
The FL decides to commit suicide and she tells the ML before jumping to her death…

• I FULFILL YOUR ORDER FOR TEN STREETS.

In another drama subbed only in Spanish

The mother in law wannabe for ML

• HACE SEIS AÑOS CANCELASTE UN CONTRATO MATRIMONIAL CON LA YEMA DE LOS DEDOS DE NUESTRA XIAOXI.

; TIO HAN CABREASTES A MI MAMA

; SI SEGUIMOS ‘‘DISPARANDO AHORA’’ (THEY USED SHOOTING A SCENE LINE) AND THEY TRANSLATED AS ‘‘SHOOTING A BULLET’’…:

SO SFL IN THIS DRAMA IS CALLED BY THE ASSISTANT…(SUMMER’S EVE)

VISPERA DE VERANO ESTA PERSONA SABE QUE INVESTIGAMOS.

I don’t know how much longer they’ll continue with this ridiculous translations since all my complains get no response. I guess I’ll just keep laughing until I get annoyed enough to stop watching (it doesn’t take too long for me to get annoyed anyway).

2 Likes

I noticed that the Spanish subtitles (YT) Chinese dramas are a total disgrace and they are becoming annoying rather than a reason for laughter.

For example:

A mother calls her daughter

ANCHO MILITAR (WIDE MILITARY)

She also tells her daughter
ME DA GARRAPATAS (IT GIVES ME TICKS/FLEAS)

So a second female lead tells the main female lead
ESTOY EMBARAZADA DE MI BEBE (I AM PREGNANT OF MY BABY)

Then the FL calls the SFL
SALSA DE MANZANA (APPLESAUCE)

I believe unscrupulous people to get paid are subbing in SPANISH with google translate only; since nothing justifies what’s going on with such ridiculous Spanish subtitles.

Why would the company even pay them? Automating google translation costs next to nothing compared to labor. There are AI translators available. The premium ones are pretty decent and cost more.

Found one:
“The chosen subtitles are auto-generated and may be inaccurate. Welcome to submit subtitles to us via Email:[email address] and we will write the credit for you.”

This is at the start of the Spanish subtitles. At least they’re honest I guess.

3 Likes

I just tried some different machine translators and they all give the ¿ and ¡ at the start of the sentence when the other language uses ? and !. If you mean the [brackets], translators will copy that from one language to another and change the respective word(s) inside.

3 Likes

mine is when they add subs over the Korean or Chinese or other languages and it distracts me

1 Like

Not doing English subs now since my non-Viki life distracted me a lot for about four months earlier this year, and I did not make my goal to keep my QC status. And my non-Viki life continues to be distracting.

Nevertheless, I continue to notice subtitles that are great, odd, unexpected.

A subtitle that I have seen a lot over the years in C-dramas and T-dramas is a variation on:

“Be rest assured that we will take care of your problem.”

In standard English, it’s, “You can rest assured that we will take care of your problem.” It means, of course, that someone can relax, knowing something positive, helpful, and problem-solving will be done by police personnel, or hotel personnel, or restaurant personnel, or department store personnel, or whoever.

However, “be rest assured” is something that I am guessing has to do with mapping English onto a sentence structure governed by Chinese grammar and syntax.

5 Likes

If you’re watching it on a computer, and the subtitles aren’t stylized to show up in different parts of the screen, you can drag the subtitles around. Can also change the font size to something larger. Not sure if doing so will cover the whole hard burned subtitles.

2 Likes

Can you move subtitles on Viki? I have never tried that. Are there instructions anywhere on the Viki website?

1 Like

No that’s for youtube. As was the comment topic I was replying to. To move subtitles for viki videos you’ve going to have to rely on a external solution with a subtitle overlay. Assuming you get a copy of the subtitles, then you can use it in that manner…

Wrong subtitles but that’s how it’d look.

2 Likes

@ilikedeadclowns

I only watch YT on my big smart TV since in the computer I can’t see it clearly because of my poor eyesight. Thanks for the tip so others can look into it.

@entwyfhasbeenfound

The honest truth is that only RakutenViki has decent subtitle translations from Chinese to English compared to other sites bc even NTX and Pr*me are doing the example you shown above.

[“Be rest assured that we will take care of your problem.”

In standard English, it’s, “You can rest assured that we will take care of your problem.” ]

Here at Rviki I have seen a few incorrect/incomplete subtitles when the drama is mainly presubbed in English and the editing is omitted by the Team’s Editors working in the drama, for whatever reason they choose to do so. I think they have too many projects in their hands so they don’t have the time to Edit the whole drama. I feel they skim through it and after a while anything they wrote; looks good enough for them.

PS. My theory is segments are shorter than all the words the character/actor is saying so they ‘‘eat’’ the words to make the subtitle ‘‘fit’’ and I know it can be the reason bc the Chinese dramas ‘‘talk’’ so much that the segments fly you by and I have to be pausing the scene to be able to finish reading the subtitles. This is on N T F X and Prime I’m talking about NOT YT.

1 Like

How do you move subtitles on YouTube? Is that a recent thing?

1 Like

I think it’s been there since html5 was implemented. Just click on the subtitles and drag them wherever you want them to be placed. Keep in mind this will mess up or not work for stylized (non stationary) subtitles that have custom placement.

2 Likes

wow wow the way they keep subbing AISH as G-d***

They also had an old man saying F*****g Sh*t.

A subber on a popular stream site adds WTF! (what the F*ck!) every time a scene bothers her (the subbers name is a female). This WTF is all over the drama and I ask myself how much are we going to put up before they stop this from happening. My daughter even threaten them to cancel the subscription and the issue still there (they did gave a discount for one year) but I’m guessing we have to deal with the annoying subtitle with no changes ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

1 Like

These subtitles are so bad on a popular streaming site, and in a new drama that just started; its title starts with a C (South Korean)

They’re just other’s lives. You have nothing to do with. :thinking:
Shut up and drive safe. (They were not in a car or driving). :roll_eyes:

The rest are Chinese dramas that oddly enough the actors keep the same outfit even when 5 years have passed in the story. Some CEO ML are missing a bottom teeth, and professional well to do FL have teeth (upper section) that look like vampire’s teeth. :rofl:

So let’s start with a male assistant telling his Boss (shocking subtitle) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

‘‘If so, I’ll go to the Crystal Palace and get F U ** E D by the Dog’’ :crazy_face:
(I have no idea why they added this malicious subtitle).

Grandpa tells his adopted son
What is this LACKEY unhappy about? (what country this subber is from?) :thinking:
Look at this b a s t a r d looking abandoned.
Sit down now without taking a seat.
(Instruct adopted son to marry the Female lead by saying as he put their hands together).
‘‘As long as I lick my fingers I can be there.’’
Grandpa adds: ‘‘Fornication saved the country.’’ :face_vomiting:

ML tells FL

‘‘My Aunt is having sex on the phone with the dolls.’’

‘‘Before we divorce we still charcoal.’’

ML tells his newfound 5 yr. old son
‘‘Your mother order me to do Chicken Marrow.’’

ML tells a killer who kidnapped his wife and son.
‘’ If you open the door you are my woman.‘’ :scream:

FL tells her bad father who killed his wife/her mom.
‘’ I want to cheat on you.‘’ (I’m lost of words with this one).

I have pictures of some of this subtitles and the scene, but my phone is acting up and won’t upload my pics yet. I’m working on that since yesterday… :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

I went back to watching Chinese short dramas/movies so I can laugh during these sad days of wars around the world and health concerns with my kids.

Yesterday I saw this 2 hour Chinese movie that the subtitles were so crazy I had to burst into laughter, but didn’t write them down bc my blood pressure was 198 and I had to change the medicine to something stronger so I had a nagging headache so writing was out of the question. Since I’m not ‘‘watching’’ but skimming through it and catching weird subs; days ago I found these hilarious and some very ‘‘dirty’’ so I wonder how they get to stay posted as subtitles in the drama/movie.

The FL showed the marriage certificate to Second FL and the sub was as follow…

Why you took the marriage certificate to do oral s e x? There was no such thing happening in the movie so I don’t know where that sub came from. A sick mind?

SFL wants to k i ll FL and on the phone tells the contract k i ll e r

I must get rid of that bad breath!

FL tells ML
Let go of the nausea
You are you.

SFL calls ML

FOUR EYE BROTHER.
Some allergies are caused by the day after tomorrow.
Take her abroad on the third day of Junior.
Isn’t your medical skills very well?
You are positive raised of the floor.
Beauty was as good as miracle drug (SFL is trying to imply FL is ugly and did surgery)

FL tells ML (that was impressed with her ‘‘looks’’)
YOU WANT TO DIG MY EYES OUT?!
I’LL LET YOU GO TO YOUR GRANDPA ON THE THIRD DAY OF JUNIOR.
I ENCOUNTERED A BIG SHORTAGE TODAY.
THINK OF A SOLUTION IN THE THIRD YEAR OF JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL.

SO the FL suffers a head injury the DR tells ML
YOU WILL BE A PLANT
INSTEAD OF SHE WILL BECOME A VEGETABLE (after brain surgery)
The husband ask the Doctor
WHAT ABOUT THE HEMORROID PATIENT? (HE WAS ASKING ABOUT HIS WIFE CONDITION) LMAO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ASSISTANT FOR ML TELLS HIS BOSS AN UPDATE
I’LL F **K Y*U COLDLY. (nasty and senseless)

FL TELLS ML
ARE YOU FEELING UNCOMFORTABLE WHEN YOU WAKE UP?

I noticed if they dislike a character the subtitles are really bad in translation.

2 Likes

please, can you tell me what that movie was? i need to watch that masterpiece :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

@mary19c11

They are masterly perfect to have a good, hilarious laugh; which we all know is the best medicine for our heart and soul. My kids are amazed how I find them so funny, but they get annoyed and upset when I call them over so they can read them too.

I would have loved to put the titles of the Chinese dramas, but since they are on YT and don’t stay there for too long (I’m assuming they are illegal uploads), they never provide the title of the drama. I’m guessing the ones uploading the video are also guilty of those terrible subtitles so they make sure we can’t report them directly to the proper company who produced the drama/movie etc. Reporting them on YT is a total waste of time. I think I would kind of miss them if they are totally eliminated.

I would love for YT to have a feature and option to fix those terrible subtitles. On Google translate I have been able to fix some really bad Spanish subtitles, and after a required approval time, once approved, they’ll stay on GT forever. It feels good to give a better translation because ppl. can improve and learn English to Spanish through this much better translations.

2 Likes

They used to. I think YT realized they could monetize video captioning for influencers, but then people just went elsewhere to have it done cheaper. In fact, I first started captioning on Dr@m@F3v3r (Long Live Dr@m@F3v#r) after a brief stint using the CC feature on YT. Sadly, when DF (LLDF) went the way of the ancestors, the caption editing feature on YT was soon to follow.

2 Likes

Lately I’m into Chinese short movies/short version of dramas, and some although are great to see, the subtitles are my laugh of the day; and at the same time the garbage I have to see that some ppl. dared to write as a subtitle.

Mother tells her daughter FL
Second Master has engaged you to **** ****.
Proper English
[Grandfather wants you to get marry with/to ***** ****]

Female lead tells second second male lead
I originally wanted to ‘‘borrow’’ you.
She meant she wanted to ‘‘use’’ him.

Evil second lead to evil mother in law
In other families the hostess is the housekeeper.
[Female lead refused to served them as they ordered her when they had staff/waiters around to serve them].

FL tells SML (really ML)
So it’s better to stop the loss in time.
FL was telling the guy
[Let’s stop wasting our time]

Male lead subs says…to FL

Ok Grandma. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (The girl (FL) is only 20 years old)!!!

Mother comitting suicide tells her daughter.
Remember to leave the collar blocks. Am I leaving. You will be free.
I’m assuming the mother was saying to her; [I am a block(obstacle) in your life, once I leave (die), you will (can) be free].

Evil mother in law tells FL
Good thing you cheated on line.
[They had posted fabricated pictures of FL with another man in bed]

ML in defense of FL tells his mom…
This matter is between me myself and her… :rofl:

Names get translated from Chinese to English and the FL was called…
White Liquor, you stabbed me by lightning.
[by the scene I think he meant to say; you betrayed me so suddenly/unexpectedly].

SML tells FL in front of ML
People who decide to sell their body I don’t have to stay at the door or the window.
TALKING about a mess I can’t find heads or tail. UNFIXABLE SUB… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SFL to FL
You touched his bottom line.
[You hurt him].

ML to FL
Don’t challenge my bottom line.
[Don’t test my patience/Don’t be getting on my nerves]

They write as sub
Correct.
Instead of…All right/By the way/YES.

Evil aunt tells the mistress…
Don’t overcook the duck it will fry again.
No translation possible…:frowning:
[Whatever… I can’t for the life of me know what this really means]

ML tells FL
I will try my best to blend with you.
[I will try my best to work with you (on this)]

They use the word beforehand so much is ridiculousML tells FL
I have to go to the company beforehand
insteadof…[I have to go to work NOW].

SL tells healthy FL
I heard from the Dr. you are pregnant with pneumonia.
:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

Reporter to ML
Your wife has cooperative diahrrea.
OK :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: whatever!

ML tells FL (that was drugged)
You know who you are?
He was really saying; You know who I am?

ML says to FL
The appraisal was false. They always, always call a DNA appraisal. UGH!
(which evil SFL or evil mother in law manage to pay to have DNA falsified).

ML tells his assistant
DRINK the children hair off.
[He was asking his assistant to take a hair sample of the twins to confirm paternity]

I am so done for today. The Spanish subtitles are not even worth adding here. The mess is super real and beyond repair.

THE END.

1 Like

If anyone has an idea why (besides been considered a wrong translation) they use these words below let me know.

When taking blood from a patient for transfusion they use the word SMOKE.
I will like to know if this is a word used in UK? or for that matter in ANY other part of the world, and I’m not aware of this fact.

In subtitles I see when an actor saying; Smoke her. (for blood)
USA: Take out her blood.
She’s/ He’s donating her/his blood.

The word CHALLENGE might be more of a wrong translation, but we never know.
USA: Don’t test my patience.
Don’t provoke me.

When ordering food to bring home/office etc., I find myself having to deal with the word TAKE AWAY, but in USA we use the word TAKE OUT or ORDERING OUT.

Take away in US is used for multiplication like for example 50 - (take away)5 = 45. In General,‘’ take away’’ is used for: ‘‘take away the prisoner’’

When you see signs of Fast Food restaurants you see: ‘‘we also do TAKE OUTS.’’ But in the Chinese/Indian/ Greek fast food places the signs says; ‘’ WE do take away.‘’
In my mind when I first saw this in a Chinese food place (for one instance) I said to myself: They do math tutoring for minus problem only?‘’ lol

I have seen a lot of youtubers visiting Germany, London, France and their signs always use the word WE DO TAKE AWAY. Don’t forget I’M TALKING about small eating places not FANCY places which never has signs at their front door since is not proper to do.

I know now for a fact that certain words may sound wrong to me; but is normal to use in certain parts of the world so I no longer question them as wrong, but they are hard for me to get used to. Getting familiarize with these difference of words used, helps me/myself and I, to have a better acceptance/understanding of them; instead of feeling annoyed, and wondering why they used that word in the first place.

There are more, but for now I’m showing the most annoying ones for me/myself and I.

1 Like