Annoying subtitles that bothers Me/Myself and I/ to see them here at this site

As a lay person, I’d say to the translators, you’re job is two fold. First is to convey what is meant, and second, though no one on here seems to discuss this very much, is to express that as dialogue. Too often I’ll read a translation and wish the translator had spoken it out loud, just as an actor would. It’s the difference between the instruction manual you get for a new sewing machine and how your mother explain the appliance to you.

‘Isn’t the job tough enough, but now you want me to be a dramatist as well??!!’ Well, yes, but often, expressing something as naturally as dare is the easier path.

3 Likes

… and along comes the perfect example in a recent Japanese drama … “I’ve been at this job for over twenty years but I never experienced any of that. So, I was experiencing the excitement VICARIOUSLY through you”.

Whenever did anyone last use that term in a regular conversation? Probably never. It’s the stuff of posh journalism. Indeed, drop it, and the sentence still says what it needs to say without the need of any adverb, least of all such a bookish one.

1 Like

fyrerayneI would be happy to share my library of resources about this topic that may be helpful, since proximity to Blackness still leaves unanswered questions

I would love that so much! Please do share those resources with us. I didn’t know this was not the reporter’s first offense, and I believe that was the main cause why they fired her so fast. Thank you so much!

thaly1209
So if you want to accuse someone, get the right information.
I am done speaking of this matter.

The only ones I will be willing to discuss these issues any further, and show all the evidence I have; that…would be to the CEO’s of the RAKUTEN Company, that is, if they have any interest for that to be happening.

My only interest is for them to put a stop of what’s going on in here for a long time now when it comes to Spanish Subtitles in dramas/movies/shows etc; here at RViki site. ALL I want is for people to start respecting my native language, and don’t continue to disrespect my Spanish Language; like it has been done for way too long here at this site.

I am done discussing this matter any further with you.

agnete
The same goes for kicked the bucket.
Since you don’t mention the drama there is no way to check the context, but as I said sometimes cursing, and popular expressions are the best and most genuine translation for the original

The expression (subtitle) ‘‘Kicked the bucket’’ that I saw a long while ago was in a Asian drama, and it "supposedly’’ came from the mouth of an elderly Asian Lady that I highly doubt that phrase ‘‘really, really’’ came out of her ‘‘mouth.’’

My Korean understanding may not be perfect, but after so many years of watching Asian dramas, I can assure you that the elderly said something more towards; ‘‘So and so passed away (died) yesterday.’’ The person who did the translation decided to add ‘‘kicked the Bucket’’ for only WHO knows what reason.

When it comes to cursing I don’t doubt every race in the world does it, and I don’t EVER argue that it should not be added in the subtitles of course, if the actor/actress is actually saying it. My only issue when it comes to cursing in dramas comes from the fact that they are constantly using a curse against G-D, when I know Asian people don’t say that word at all. Some Asian actors say; Aish…, namjjog-ui gaejasig, and they always write now the curse against God as; G/D constantly. The Asian actor/actress are obviously not saying the G/D curse, but the subbers are continuously writing what is not coming from those actor/actress mouth. I think is very illegal and disrespectful to put words in the actor/actresses ‘‘mouth’’ that they (I highly doubt) would ever say in their lifetime, but these subbers now are being so rude, disrespectful and inconsiderate towards others/the viewers.

They don’t even have the decency now to add asterisks like they did in the past (to cover parts of the curse words), and they write the whole unpleasant word to see and have to read in a subtitle.

Now, I have nothing against cursing in Dubbing or Subtitles in dramas/movies/shows as long as I know the actor is saying what the script/writer demands he/she (actor/actress), says in their respective roles. I don’t know if you ever saw one of Samuel L. Jackson movie in which this man cursed so much in that movie, you hardly heard a decent sentence come out of his mouth, and I laughed so hard because his role was perfect for him, although the cursing was a bit too much, but the role he played it so well I didn’t mind all the cursing (since it’s just a role HE had to play, and cursing was 90% of the character role).

To me/myself and I, cursing here is not the issue, but adding stuff/words that are not spoken/said by the actors/actresses. To me, that is an issue since subbers are not there to add whatever they want to add as a subtitles since that’s a copyright infringement issue (which is considered a crime), and that’s something here at Rviki, and many other sites that lately they don’t put a stop to it, and allow some of these disrespectful subbers to work as they ‘‘please,’’ and not by the rules as they are mandated by guidelines, and of course by the common sense thing to do; Do their job right when adding subtitles in dramas. movies/shows, in any language, and in every part of the world. Don’t be adding stuff on their own; like they do so often now in dramas (which is killing the joy for some of us viewers) to watch and enjoy these subtitles translated from other original language, from dramas from all over the world. Let me add, I watch dramas from every part of the world for mainly two reasons, I enjoy seeing all these new countries through a film/drama; since I can’t afford the plane ticket, and also for the joy of knowing about other cultures from all around the world. I may be picky with some of the content/subtitles, but not the origin where is coming from because that’s what I like to do. Funny thing is, if I like a drama a whole lot, but I hate their subtitles, I close the captions and watch the drama without them.

I wish they would do that too. When I was a little girl my parents constantly travel from USA to our beautiful Island Puerto Rico, causing a struggle between keeping the English that we had barely learned, and re-learning the Spanish that we had forgotten. These struggle continued until we settled here in the US in my teens, but good thing that we had many years in my Island learning in Spanish was the only option we had (no English available back then, unless you went to a private/paying school). My biggest dread back then was to forget my beautiful Spanish language, but heaven helped us, and they had created here in USA the Bilingual Education program where our teachers would only speak to us in SPANISH, and the testing were done in Spanish until we could learn the English Language. As we started learning the English language, we could start getting the testing done in English too; until one day we could advance to all English classes, and give our seat/chair to a new child in need of the Bilingual Program.

Back to the point I really wanted to add in here; I had a teacher that was very dedicated to the students, and she always told us to read out loud the sentence we wrote in English because when we read in our ‘‘heads’’ the sentence sounded so clear and perfect, but when we read things out loud we would notice the mess we were in reality writing. Believe you me, it works. My daughter a Freelance writer, reads everything she writes out loud, and that’s when she catches the mistake she may have made (not too many though) but she always tells me; ‘‘Mom, this is the best method to catch up with anything that may fly by our brain.’’

So… I totally agree with you that if translators would read out loud their sentence/subtitle before they ‘‘plastered it’’ all over dramas/movies/shows, maybe they could ‘‘hear’’ how ridiculous that word VICARIOUSLY sounds in that specific sentence, and hopefully they could change it to something more appropriate/simple for viewers to grasp/accept.

When I was a moderator a long time ago, I share so many tips with the subbers in the team, but most of them were so ungrateful, and took it as a criticism from me, and not as someone trying to share the knowledge they had with them. I suggested they use the THESAURUS and find the synonym for a much simpler word than the one the Google Translate gave them (I knew most of them wrote 100% the sub from GT). I also told them to add spell check for their spelling correction since I was so sick of editing their work. I came to realize just now that they probably did it on purpose so I would give up on the project from so much extra work in editing.

This saying just came to my head: [
**You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink

Excerpt from Cambridge Dictionary

you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink

idiom saying

used to emphasize that you can make it easy for someone to do something, but you cannot force them to do it

I can provided several levels of depth outside the recommendations outside the most obvious of doing your on Google search. My thesis is on microaggressions and unintentional masking of intentional racism, so I have academic papers galore. Another option is to pick up any one of the most recommended antiracism books curated by people who have read them. I am personally working through this list here. https://chipublib.bibliocommons.com/list/share/204842963/1357692923. But if anyone is not intentional in understanding why this is not a non-issue please at least read these https://www.uua.org/files/pdf/m/microaggressions_by_derald_wing_sue_ph.d._.pdf
https://priceschool.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/microintervention.toolkit.brochure_part_1.pdf
Want to chat more, please feel free to DM me

All the BEST!

1 Like

@fyrerayne

Thanks for sharing, and I really hope others look into it too.

v-join-us-korea-episode-1)
10 months ago

Spanish
Detengan, chicos. Númbero Uno.
[1. Amigo]

10 months ago

Spanish
Bien, la contesta, por favor.

10 months ago

Spanish
El dado grande está cerca de ella también.

Wrote [a subtitle-join-us-korea-episode-1)
10 months ago

Spanish
No, en realidad éste solamente te muestra, “¿A quién se hablan lo más los hombres en sus teléfonos celulares?”

10 months ago

Spanish
Tuviste razón. ¿Estuve equivocado?
- Te digo ahora. Solamente soy mal en convencer a la gente

Wrote [a subtitle]-join-us-korea-episode-1)
10 months ago

Spanish
Miren, si quieren una oportunidad a ganar un equipo de cosméticos,
[El premio de este ronda es un equipo de cosméticos.]

[Episode 2: Join Us Korea]
9 months ago

Spanish
de quemando la mesa donde hay madera hecho de árbol o de vidrio.

Wrote [a subtitle]-join-us-korea-episode-2)
9 months ago

Spanish
y también están en los aviones ahora.

Wrote [a subtitle]v-join-us-korea-episode-2)
9 months ago

Spanish
Lo ayuda a su trasero de no estar en mucho dolor,

5 months ago

Spanish
Porque le deciré, la pregunta dice, “¿Quién es él más servicial cuando ?” 5 months ago

Spanish
Porque le deciré, la pregunta dice, “¿Quién es él más ?”

5 months ago

Spanish
y me dijo venir a Corea y unirme a su grupo. Y aquí estoy.

Wrote [a subtitle] in [Episode 3: Join Us Korea
5 months ago

Spanish

• ¡Guau, es una historia genial!

Some interesting facts on some research done.

The difficulties of learning a language depends on where you come from:

EUROPEANS: Are known to have a lot of difficulty learning Chinese/Mandarin.
ENGLISH is considered the #1 UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE.
SPANISH IS SECOND.

I have noticed that when Spanish Native Speakers learn Korean and translate from their Spanish to English subtitles some words become totally out of context. On ■■■■■■■ they are going back to bad subtitles especially the drama DR. CHA.

One example I can mention here since as a Native Spanish speaker I could spot it right away (the drama’s translation lacks so much I might drop it).

In the end, my whole family learned the truth.
Si vamos a traducir el subtitulo al Español…
En el fin, mi total familia APRENDIÓ la verdad.
Al final, mi familia entera SUPO/SUPIERON/DESCUBRIERON/ DESCUBRIÓ.
La palabra aprendieron es incorrecta porque…
ULTIMATELY, my entire family found out the truth.
ULTIMADAMENTE, mi familia entera descubrió/descubrieron la verdad.

LEARNED - www.wordreference.com
docto/a adj
instruido/a adj
ilustrado/a adj
entendido/a adj
also UK: learnt adj (that has been learned) (conocimiento) aprendido adj
adquirido a

Also noted
To the best of your abilities- Abilities are our skills, knowledge to tackle a situation/problem.

To the best of your capabilities are the means/tools available to us to problem solve the situation/problem at hand. What we can physically use.

1 Like

I’m putting these subs here just so whomever reads it, can have a good laugh since they can’t be ‘‘fixed’’ and no matter how much I request them to be ‘‘fixed’’ it seems they don’t care to do so. These are mainly from dramas from China and many are a literal translation from the English subtitle. They are mainly done by a person/human. and not AI, and I can tell you with 100% certainty since the wrong translated Spanish subtitles have both; question marks and or exclamation points etcetera (Artificial Intelligence subtitles never have them although the sub requires them).

Let’s begin…

The FL in the drama is going to donate blood to the ML who was injured, and of course, the Hospital has no AB type blood, but the FL conveniently is AB Blood type.

Dr. tells the FL
English sub - Your body is so thin are you sure you can smoke?
Spanish sub - Tu cuerpo es tan delgado, ¿seguro que puedes fumar?

I ask myself so many times: Why Spanish translation didn’t use the correct word which is DONAR since FUMAR is smoke. No matter how incorrect an English subtitle may be common sense dictates we must fix it and add the correct word.

So this is the funny part the Doctor rushing to the operating room adds:

Eng sub: Dr. :-We need blood transfusion and ENEMA first.
Span sub: Dr. - Necesitamos transfusiones de sangre y enema primero.

The guy was hit in the head with a baseball bat, and I wonder the purpose of the enema…lol (or if the Doctor really used the word enema).

The FL had told the Dr. in Spanish
Spanish sub - Soy una sangre.
English sub - I am a blood.

So if it wasn’t bad enough, the second female lead is also AB type blood, but didn’t offered (to the ML) herself to donate blood for who was to be her future husband. The SML in this dramas asked the SFL…

This is the sentence in English and Spanish
Eng sub: - Why don’t you go to American Kung Fu?
Span sub: - ¿Por qué no vas al Kung Fu Americano?

The SFL tells the FFL

• Ahora soy su hombre.
  • Now I’m his man.

Span sub - Estoy a punto de ser su MARIDO.
Eng sub - I’m about to be someone’s husband.

Well, I believe it was supposed to be written as: Now, I’m his woman not man.
Also, I’m about to be his wife. (since she’s a female).

So the SFL tells the FL that she’s nothing but…
Eng sub: - It’s nothing more than a bargain to meet physical needs.
Span sub: - No es más que una ‘‘ganga’’ para satisfacer sus necesidades físicas.

SFL goes to front desk nurse to request medical history of the FL in the drama.

Spanish sub - Hola, necesito tener decenas de miles de informes de exámen. (oddly enough the nurse is a mind reader and gave her the report without a name given to her).

Eng sub - Hello, I need to get tens of thousands of examination report. (A bit too much it seems SFL wanted the whole hospital medical report tens of thousands? :crazy_face:

In Puerto Rico bargain means a sale, and we also call it in Spanish a ‘‘ganga’’ but ''ganga in reality is referred as street gang members, so I had a good laugh with this one.

I have to point out that I was watching a new release drama here at viki, and a lot of the words were ‘‘made up’’ by the subber since such words in Spanish are nowhere to be found in a Spanish Dictionary. Of course, I’m assuming it needs EDITING work; so I’ll check to see if those words were removed from the subtitle in the near future. I think it was an AI pre-sub drama because it makes no sense for subbers to make up words and not think the viewer won’t notice.

If you have any funny subtitles that crossed your path, please, share them with us so we can have the best medicine in the world: LAUGHTER.

1 Like

Is it not google translate?
Those are things I got copying to gt. (Spanish to English or English to Spanish, since I’m not sure which is original sometimes?)

Tu cuerpo es tan delgado ¿estás seguro de que puedes fumar?

I am a blood.

¿Por qué no vas al Kung Fu americano?

Now I’m your man.

No es más que una ganga para satisfacer las necesidades físicas.

Hello, I need to have tens of thousands of exam reports.

Hello!

I have a question, what is in English is related to what is written in Spanish? because when I read both languages it doesn’t make any sense. are they from the same project?

I’m responding to angelight313_941.
They listed sentences in English and Spanish.
I translated some of them useing gt and my message is the compilation of that.

Writing it more clearly:

Google translate: Tu cuerpo es tan delgado ¿estás seguro de que puedes fumar?

GT: I am a blood.

GT: ¿Por qué no vas al Kung Fu americano?

GT: Now I’m your man.

GT: No es más que una ganga para satisfacer las necesidades físicas.

GT: Hello, I need to have tens of thousands of exam reports.

Hope that makes more sense now :smiley:

Now I understand, to be honest sometimes Spanish subtitlers make mistakes and it is valid because not all of them are perfect, but the moderators have an editor or a team of editors that fix those mistakes.

The moderators and editing teams I have worked with take into consideration even the smallest detail, so I find it strange that the projects they are in charge of have bad spelling, I’m a Spanish subtitler, editor and moderator so I have to take into account the whole process of a project, not just look at the “bad” things.

The idea is to help improve the writing of projects whether they come with subtitles done by AI or by a team of volunteers.

Yes, these subtitles I wrote here are from the same Chinese drama. The reason why they make no sense is because they are one of the many terribly translated from Chinese to English and Spanish.drama I’ve seen on YT. I forgot to add they are not from Rviki…BUT some of the translators/subbers also work here at viki since they use the same username. Interesting enough, they do get paid to write such terrible translations. Is never a good amount of money so I believe that is why they don’t care to add good quality English/Spanish subtitles in the Chinese dramas.

Most of them are a literal translation from GT in Spanish from the English subtitle like @zyxw wrote here. But some are in my opinion unscrupulous individuals that have no pride in their native tongue since they don’t care to write useless subtitles just so they can make that penny. A real shame.

I think these individuals are also infiltrating themselves here at Rviki because like I mentioned above; I was watching a drama here at viki that had many Spanish ‘‘made up words.’’ I believe the subber doesn’t have knowledge of the Spanish language at all. Any subber that knows Spanish knows the correct word to use, and won’t be making up a word in Spanish that doesn’t exist.

catalina2108
The moderators and editing teams I have worked with take into consideration even the smallest detail, so I find it strange that the projects they are in charge of have bad spelling, I’m a Spanish subtitler, editor and moderator so I have to take into account the whole process of a project, not just look at the “bad” things.

I am aware that dramas have CE TE etc…but I don’t blame them from overlooking and not fixing all the mess added in Asian dramas/movies. Since these sites on different forums care only for speed (quantity) to keep their viewers watching; Quality is no longer important, and we all know how HARD is to fix/edit a badly translated subtitle. I always chose to delete the whole thing (sub), than drive myself insane trying to make sense of what will never make sense in the first place

I must add I rarely watch any Asian dramas with Spanish subtitles (unless they have no English subs for whatever reason) because is frustrating and painful to see my Spanish language treated with such disrespect. Although some subtitles DO make me ‘’ laugh my head off’’ at this point is getting annoying because they are now adding curses and nasty comments that are not part of the drama, but the comment (personal opinion) of the person (subber) writing the subtitle. I remember back in 2013, I would see that a lot here at viki in dramas, and that would drive me crazy since I don’t care to read the subbers personal opinion about that scene… :rage:

1 Like

zyxw
Hope that makes more sense now :smiley:

I’m guessing you don’t even know one bit of the Spanish language because if you did; it would never/ever make sense to you at all. All those sentence translated from Chinese to English are also wrong, therefore; the Spanish subtitles will never ever make any sense since they are based on a wrong English translation. Whether they used GT, and did a literal translation, the Spanish subtitle are also wrong, and useless to have/see in that drama/movie.

1 Like

I meant that my message makes sense and you’re able to understand what I want to say :smiley:

1 Like

@zyxw

Oh, I see. I was just concentrating so much on the badly done Spanish subtitles in the drama so,so much; that I really didn’t get it at all. My bad…lol

1 Like

Chinese Drama with Spanish subtitles only. I added the English subtitle.
SFL tells her lover

Ayúdame a matar un hombre. Ahora soy saltamontes contigo.
Help me k i l l a man (it’s really a woman she wants to get killed). Now I’m a grasshopper with you. (I don’t know if maybe this was a Chinese saying/idiom, but it doesn’t make sense to me).

The lover tells her
¿A quien quieres morir? morir is wrong in the sentence, it’s suppose to be; Who you want dead? Who you want me to ■■■■? etc.

Ahora hay 10 millones Sr. Ciudad Natal.
Here we have 10 million, Sir Country of Birth

Main Female Lead calls Main Lead …Tina de Hierro which means Steel Bucket.
Quiero dejarme. (I want to allow myself). He meant to say I want to leave you.

El descarado hijo de p u t a cuida de mi. The shameless son of a b i t c h takes care of me.
The ML is talking about FL, but sentence is like he’s talking about a man, and not a woman. lol

No comas carne en las n a l g a s y los pies. Another Chinese idiom/saying? She made dinner and tells main lead; Don’t eat meat in the buttocks and feet.

El perro me metía la cola. FL was saying the Dog wagged his tail. But they wrote in Spanish; The Dog put into me his tail.

FL tells ML. ¿No te encanta mi culpa? Don’t you just love my fault?

No me rompiste de principio a fin así que dormiré con otro hombre. Translation is as followed; YOU DIDNT BREAK ME FROM BEGINNING TO END SO I’LL SLEEP WITH ANOTHER MAN. (lmao)

Quien es la p e r r a? Who is the Dog?

The FL tell ML. No soy un gusano en tu estomago.
I am not a w o r m in your stomach. (I understood that FL meant to tell ML that she can’t know what affects his stomach).

Quieres comerte la comida? You want to eat the food? Whatever that means :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like