Anyone upgrade to Viki Pass Plus yet?

Clicked on Kocowa to see what it was and it talks about the new Viki Pass Plus and all the shows we should see. However, everything listed there with the exception of Manhole is already on Viki. Is there a “hidden” list just for Kocowa? Why bother to pay more if it’s the same shows?

3 Likes

I haven’t upgraded yet. I’m trying to decide if I should upgrade to Viki Pass Plus or cancel my subscription altogether. It seems Kocowa content is limited at the moment, but overall I am disappointed by the way the introduced this change.

7 Likes

I agree! I also don’t like the fact I have to wait to watch things with “everyone else” when I pay for a subscription… This blindsided me :frowning:

7 Likes

I did to see what difference it would make. Very disappointed. I will be cancelling my subscription altogether before the next billing cycle. In the last few months access to a lot of dramas became more limited and restricted, even the old ones. A bunch are not licensed for the USA. And my $5/mo membership gave me the same access as free, only without ads? And $10/mo in addition to Netflix and cable for a handful of shows just is not worth it. Bad move, Viki!

6 Likes

Seems that many do not see the whole picture, or just don’t bother but constantly writing critisism …

It always starts from the license holder, in this case the big 3 broadcasters from South Korea. They have their dramas, they hold the key. So additional money for licenses needs to be accepted in order to bring those dramas of the license holder on your screen be it directly at Kocowa or with the Viki Pass Plus at Viki.

It is a business development the consumer is not in control, all for now you can just stay with Viki and depend on the volunteers’ work and enjoy the community, or go to Kocowa for a bit more timely, but professional subtitles.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with people? When Viki doesn’t get license, people complain. But then when Viki get more money to get license so I think that’s why they make Vikipass plus, people complain. You guys can’t get a drama for free.

1 Like

How is it the same access as free? Most shows right now are behind vikipass, even old ones from 2006 like Soulmates. If you try coming to viki without logging in, tell me how many shows you’ll be able to see freely. Next to none!
I know because it’s the reason I have trouble recruiting new subtitlers: if they are not QC or vikipass holders they cannot work on any of the shows I moderate or manage.

5 Likes

Updated to Plus. There is no hidden list. It basically gives us access to the new Kocowa exclusive shows (ie Manhole, Into the World Again, Distorted) and a few old shows that they’ve now made Viki Pass Plus exclusive (ie My Love from the Star, Master’s Sun). It’s more or less the shows listed here:

https://www.viki.com/kocowa

What’s lacking here is if you look at the shows currently available on Kocowa, some of the shows aren’t licensed on Viki, or they once were but expired.

I’m waiting to see how things shake out. I love Viki, I love that the volunteer subbers keep cultural references and explain things that would be missed by non-Koreans. For example, in Chicago Typewriter the subbers added a little explanation of the Japanese/Korean conflict. That sort of extra is not found in professional subbing sites like DramaFever, which is why I always look to Viki first for a drama.

However, I do think that Viki’s pricing for plus is too high. Fine, I understand licensing issues, but I paid $100 per year to DramaFever because I could download content to watch dramas offline on plane trips. Viki isn’t giving us that option, they’re doubling their price to basically gives you access to things that were removed a few months ago. $70 per year to get back the content that was gobbled up by Kocowa? Maybe, but $100, no way. Besides, Kocowa and DramaFever have paid subbers, and Viki relies on a base of volunteers. So what sort of value are they really adding with that much of an increase? Kocowa’s pricing itself is a bit steep, too. What makes them think that $70 per year is worth it over DramaFever who is giving us downloadable content for $50 per year under their new plans?

Long story short, I’ll probably focus on dramas I can access with my standard plan or through DramaFever or Netflix. It looks like Kocowa has an option to pay by the day, so if there’s a drama that I can’t live without and can’t access without Kocowa, then I’l probably pay for either a few days or a month directly to Kocowa and binge watch it and then cancel.

15 Likes

I see a large picture, but that doesn’t mean I’m not disappointed right now. To balance out the criticism, I really love Viki for the community, the volunteer subs, and the timed comments. I don’t want to go to Kocowa.

2 Likes

Nothing is wrong with people. It is perfectly rational to react to a sudden change that occurred with no explanation. A lot of what is being posted to defend these changes is speculation. Please feel free to provide a legitimate source that says Viki Pass Plus was created to garner more money for licenses. If they really posted true intentions and explanations, subscribers will receive less of a shock from these types of changes.

I already have been a Viki subscription and another drama site subscription holder for over a year. Please show me how I am trying to get dramas for free…

Like I said, I love Viki. I’m just not pleased with the way they are doing business right now.

8 Likes

Price going up may irritate people but imagining if there’s no Kocowa partnership, maybe other company may hold an exclusive license that leads to Viki lose the chance to obtain license. With Partnership, we can license for those dramas. Viki Pass Plus only for America may be a deal with Kocawa.

I don’t mind if someone is angry or disappointed, but I do mind if they only vent and not argue.
As this is a discussion board, and a discussion can only work in communication. Not by blowing of some steam and then leave …

I mean this in general, not that you think I am accusing you, when you didn’t.

I don’t even have the option for other K-drama streaming services and have to hope for new dramas to come to Europe, so I am used to not always getting the dramas I like.

1 Like

They are a business so it’s normal for them to gain money back from the license they spent. It’s a normal thing. Those illegitimate streaming site is lagging and full of viruses. If you are willing to take a risk,

go ahead and Google yourself.

I notice that when someone asked for a link of (illegal streaming site) for a drama for free. When a link is mentioned later in a comment section, korean drama content from that link is no longer there anymore. Maybe Viki deleted (?!). That’s so ironic lol :joy:

I have just one question Kocowa service are only open to america. So what are we going to do us European and other if we can’t see anymore kdrama because the 3 bis leader of korea make you pay and allow only america ?

I’m maybe wrong please can you explain me in detail if you know because I don’t understand it very well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is another thread about this, where we got an official answer.
https://discussions.viki.com/t/new-partnership-with-kocowa-tv-open-letter-to-viki/16676/84?u=irmar

Hello, dear neighbor!
For Europe Viki tries to get licenses one by one. For now it is Manhole,we will see about other dramas in the future, for the moment while these changes are new let’s give it some time and hope for the best!

4 Likes

But here’s part of the IMMEDIATE problem. OK, Kocowa just made You Are Too Much available on this site…VPP of course. However, I have already watched 46 episodes on another site I have a subscription for. So, when they shut off dramas that are already available and already being watched on other sites, legal or not, why would anyone pay more just to watch on Viki? Because of the nature of the internet, there are always going to be other sites with “illegal” content. I’ve seen several shut down in the past few years, yet more pop up.

They should have set a specific date to start and start with new shows being aired, instead of trying to get people to pay more for older shows. I don’t blame Viki at all. It’s the stations that want more revenue from their productions. Can’t blame them, but I don’t think this was the way to do it.

4 Likes

Don’t do it. I signed up for the full year and I regret it immensely. Kocowa’s full programs are not available on Viki and even if they are, Viki does not have them subtitled. What a disappointment. Of course, I can’t cancel my subscription until next year.

Anyway, you are right to wait because I’ll have to sign up for Kocowa too. I should have researched Viki’s offering in more detail instead of assuming! Let the buyer beware.

3 Likes

Yet. These shows just came here. Teams are being formed to subtitle them - although it’s a bit more difficult since many volunteers who are not located in the US cannot access them.

1 Like