Anyone upgrade to Viki Pass Plus yet?

I haven’t been onto Viki recently because there’s not really much dramas I was keen on watching apart from Chicago Typewriter atm. I have cancelled my subscription because of that because I feel like my money is sort of going nowhere, with the lack of shows I wanna watch on here. From where I am, the amount of new drama titles that get put up on Viki are so limited – around 1 or 2 per month, and most of them are romantic comedies. I need that sort of wider selection. So now that I’ve heard of this new thing Viki is introducing… I don’t know if it’s a good thing or a bad thing. I get the argument that yeah, it’s for licensing dramas but will these dramas get licensed for most countries or will it just be for the US? With Netflix coming in on the move for streaming Korean dramas, I don’t know if I should still stick to Viki – at least they don’t put much restriction on what shows are available on which country (in terms of Korean dramas from my experience anyway). Plus, Netflix Korean dramas usually have much more of a range in terms of genre, which kind of keeps my interest going a bit.

VikiPluss Pass is only for the Americas continent available as for now… it it possible Kocowa content will expand in other regions but not recently as I understand, perhaps next year…

1 Like

The old shows you mention, do they appear with the KOCOWA translation or the VIKI one? If it’s VIKI does it include LEARN MODE? For example, Master’s Sun used to have LEARN MODE available before these changes. Does it still?

@jayne_kulikauskas_77
About the learn mode
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/231829048
At Viki you should have subtitles made by Viki volunteers, except for some older ones that have Soompi hard subs only.

1 Like

I just checked Master’s Sun, it still has learn mode. I believe the old shows are the same as before (including timed comments, Viki subtitles), the only change is you’d need viki pass plus to watch them. With regards to new shows, they don’t come with Kocowa translations which is why Distorted, You Are Too Much, Into the World Again are raw and in dire need of volunteers now.

1 Like

Did Viki do the subs for Ms Cop 2?

Thanks for checking that for me, lerocks. I did see something about LEARN MODE in the blog post about VPP but I did not know if it would be working right away. This means that I am going to upgrade to VPP now.

I would rather have VIKI subtitles than the KOCOWA ones, so I am glad they are doing it that way. I don’t know enough to volunteer yet, but I am on the waiting list for the segmenter training, so I will be able to help out some day.

I apologize trangle8507 but I agree with Ijswlfey

I have both Viki Pass Plus and Kocowa subscription. I just checked Mrs Cop 2 and compared it against Kocowa: the subs are identical. Not only were the words identical, the line breaks follow through as well as subtitles for non verbal translations (ie words shown on news article in the drama). To answer your question, I don’t know who copied who. But I didn’t see the usual “Subtitles brought to you by ____ Team on Viki” in mid episodes or at the very end of its finale.

1 Like

No problem! I normally don’t use learn mode so I only checked that particular show, not sure about the new shows. Yeah I’m also glad Viki is sticking with volunteers. I don’t mind waiting a bit longer for the volunteers to catch up with subbing.

1 Like

I had both for awhile and then cancelled Kocowa since I only wanted to have 1 bill a month instead of 2 plus there were only about 5 shows that weren’t already on Viki and I can watch it on my Roku through Viki but not with Kocowa on my big screen TV

@aznative @lerocks

Viki didn’t do the subtitles for Mrs Cop 2.

Thanks! It didn’t seem like Viki’s work.

Thank you. I didn’t think so.

Kocowa is a joint venture between KBS, MBC, and SBS. It’s literally a corporate greed strategy to gate their content, and charge more, instead of working with the current streaming services. Pretty much like what HBO does. It’s complete scum, and I hope that Kocowa crashes and burns. I seriously plea to Viki to reconsider their partnership with this crap.

I don’t think I will sign up for Plus. You see, I have had a support ticket open since 8/14 and not one response to that ticket. help request number is 303973

Both these shows give a Svr Er. #401

Distorted
You Are Too Much

So, if I cannot get support for what I am already paying for, why would I upgrade?

2 Likes

Another thing driving me crazy is that they show a drama on the home page saying it’s a VIKI PASS show. You click on it and it’s a VIKI PASS PLUS!! Please note this on the HOME PAGE, so I don’t waste my time clicking all around to find something I can watch.

2 Likes

@joongkijunkie
I won’t say it drives me crazy, since I am not using the main page, I merely look at it sometimes …
But what should we do, we know, and Viki knows and maybe someone from Viki staff has finally a good idea about to change it. I hope we will get to see a change soon.

P.S. sometimes it works, showing who we reply to, sometimes it doesn’t. Most of the time when you just got used to it working again, it’s not working again, sigh …

Quick clarification here – so do all QC’s get Viki Pass Plus or just QC Golds? I’m a QC but my account still shows just plain Viki Pass as being paid indefinitely.

@bally_26

https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/115008858067-I-m-a-QC-Trainee-QC-Gold-QC-Do-volunteers-get-access-to-Viki-Pass-Plus-content-

It depends on where you live as well.