Badges: Who thought they were a good idea, and where do you go to earn some of them?

tenor

Wow, thanks to all of you! hehe

6 Likes

cha%20eun%20woo%20bird

2 Likes

:smile::smile::laughing::smile: Are you looking for a badge for you? :laughing::joy:
Yea! The community, and posting badges don’t come easy. :smile:

4 Likes

I’m obsessed with this little bird! I drop in this thread cuz I guess I have nothing to contribute but I want to say HI

3 Likes

But it’s so cuteee!!!

2 Likes

It’s quite perplexing that you have this kind of experience using Viki.
I don’t much care to have E-mail notifications switched on for Discussions. Too much digital pollution and it’s not necessary to interact in real time since we’re all in various time zones I know these things are not time sensitive, instead I just catch up with the discussions notification (the blue dot) which seems to do what the e-mail notification does.
Maybe as a volunteer you would want the inbox Email notification left on for for that purpose, but I don’t volunteer so can not comment on this but I’ve read many a topic on the trials and tribulations of the clunky mailbox system from the veterans.

I take it that your browser is set to clear all cookies when the browser is closed, causing you to have to log in every time you go to Viki (either via the email link or open the website) in which case why not use the auto login feature of the browser, all of the major ones have the functionality. Both Viki and Discussion is Single Sign On. so once you are logged in Viki and you are not logged in Discussion you only have to press the login button and it logs in automatically so you don’t have to type all the credential in again.

I don’t see the reason for needing to log out of Discussions in order to go to the main Viki site to watch videos or volunteering work? Why not just go via the blue Rauten VIKI logo at the top left to jump right back into watching from Discussions? It remains in the same tab so no need to log back in. Discussions will automatically log out when you shut the browser down and the login cookie is cleared, in your case anyway, I leave my cookies intact so never logged out however many times the browser is closed.

3 Likes

This happens sometimes with the main Viki site but I have NEVER had to log in to Discussions! I’ll be locked out of the main Viki site but Discussions is always logged in. As @ninjas_with_onions said, it must be because of your browser setting or something.

1 Like

Hear! Hear! But nonetheless, it will never be said, it has not been, even, attempted! I’d like to think it was meant to be awarded to boost our volunteers. They’re likely the ones who’d need to communicate via email, while working as a team.

1 Like

The term “email” is so generic that it is confusing rather than boosting. There is the emailing that two volunteers might do back and forth between outside accounts as friends. That’s not what the badge is for, I am pretty sure.

There is the subbing team messaging back and forth via something that looks like emailing that includes individual messages and group messages. That’s not what the badge is for, I am pretty sure.

There is the discussion board posting of comments for fun or for general informational purposes that keeps alive the original volunteer spirit that Viki was born out of. That’s not what the badge is for, I am pretty sure.

If the email badge is impossible to get because its purpose is clear as mud AND because the process for obtaining it is nowhere simply, clearly defined, then the person (or persons) who decided that it should be part of the volunteer “reward system” should be communicated with so that volunteers can state in a simple way what badges would actually be encouraging.

But who is that person (or who are those persons)?

Do you know? Do any of the volunteers know?

Has any volunteer interacted in any way (by text, zoom, message, or email) with Viki paid staff who (in collaboration with Discus) chose how the Viki “communications platform” would look and function (so that it would help maintain a sense of community at a time of rapid expansion)?

Who is the most senior volunteer? Does that person have regular contact with Viki paid staff? Are there quarterly meetings during which Viki paid staff and volunteers discuss “how things are going” relative to subbing AND what is helpful and what is not?

If there are issues in the volunteer community that volunteers even half seriously think should be addressed, then which Viki paid staff are responsible for addressing such issues, and why is there no “email mechanism” or other mechanism for interacting meaningfully with that staff?

P. S. Just call me the BH shop steward, wanting to get in management’s grill just a bit . . .

Timely segue . . .

The whistleblower/social justice/who will speak for the dead K-drama is a type I get sucked right into.

Some of my faves . . .

Another segue . . .

Below is Mr. Jo, the youngest of my three cats. I found him in July of 2017 under my porch and bottle fed him into robust and noisy independent kittenhood. (His mom, whom I have since gotten to know and feed in my backyard, was apparently in the process of moving him from where she gave birth to a more secure location.)

I binge-watched the two “Mr. Jo” series during the month I had to feed him EVERY four hours.

I decided to name my mouthy, squirmy kitten Mr. Jo after the K-drama character who didn’t know when to keep his mouth shut, got tossed in the Han river by gangsters, fell from high places and survived, and escaped from confined spaces easily.

My cat’s full name is Mr. Antonio Jo, International Finder of Small Objects. He loves to play with wads of blue painter’s tape, and he can leap five feet straight in the air to grab a housefly off a wall for a snack.

And to keep it topical, which

PERSONS OF HOTNESS

should be awarded the BCF badge–which would stand for either Bad Cat Factor or Black Cat Factor?

3 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed, the email badge is in the “getting started” section category.

Another thing of note is, with these badges, the bronze :3rd_place_medal: kicks off, and is linked to getting the silver, :2nd_place_medal: and the gold :1st_place_medal:🪙

The answer to this question, I do not know :woman_shrugging:t5:

In my experience, most of my interaction with staff is via the help tickets. They’ve been very responsive, and very human. I have followed up with email interactions, with staff, regarding help ticket issues.

I’d suggest submitting this post (yours, not mine) via a help ticket. Hopefully you’ll get a staff who loves what they do, which means they care, and not someone simply pushing pencils.

I’ll check my past emails with Viki, and post up any useful info in this thread. :wink::+1:t5:

3 Likes

well people I just got one, and due to I didn’t know about those names and all like @leerla73 I learned how to do this!

4 Likes

We Heart It

3 Likes

Out of hearts again? :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes
4 Likes

I apparently got an Anniversary badge three hours ago.

Where’s my cake???

(Giphy)

6 Likes

3 Likes

No cake, but eating waffles. You are not alone, it has “rained” Anniversary badges 5 hours ago. I got another one too.

Happy Anniversary everyone!

7 Likes

You can say that again! The preferred, joined Viki, month for Vikiers seems to be July :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

4 Likes

Happy Viki Anniversary, yeorobun!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::partying_face:

5 Likes

:rofl: Congrats to all!! Same here, must be July, before it was November. I would like some dark chocolate or truffes! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::yum: Perhaps I should make some:

4 Likes