Republican Era dramas are my weakness.
Here is the list of the dramas I will always recommend:
- OMG. I could write books on Murong Feng portrayed by Wallace alone… watch it for the manchild torn between his desire for power and greed or a woman, EPIC. We have translated this drama here on Viki but it was a fan channel. The videos are available on YT - I have srt files stored if anyone is interested.
- BEST. BROMANCE. EVER. For me, the only Hu Ge’s role that I adore, especially in those dramatic moments. but all characters are so well casted and portrayed that it is a real feast to watch
- Pride and Prejudice set in a very interesting period, a hard lesson on how the world rips your innocence and youth from you, but a great watch because of the convincing acting
- bromance, romance, thriller, mystery and Foye as a perfect example of a smirking ice block that thaws in the little hands of his spunky bride-to-be. a great ride, great shots and the subbed videos are available on Facebook, Dailymotion and Naver. I heard it is coming to Dramafever - we have lost our channel due to the copyrights.
- suspense, demons, immortal priest finding his true match an adversary that you are scared of. very good acting, wonderful shots and one of the best opening/ending songs I heard.
- if you love palace dramas, you will love this one about the constant struggle for power among the wives and concubines in a family that operates a famous pharmacy. men pale in comparison to the women and the costumes are out of this world. We have been able to fully translate this drama before it disappeared from Viki so the subtitles are still available and videos are on YT.
- this is another brilliantly executed, women-driven drama, set in a world that amazes me. And the raspy voice of the brawler that is the male lead of the drama will give you chills. the good kind of chills
- blame it on my weakness for Wallace but his dramas do have this special place in my heart. and when he is helping a woman to take over Shanghai, I am all onboard even if I know that Chinese dramas rarely end the way I would love them to
- I actually prefer the second male lead than the actual star of the show but the story is solid although the female lead is really dull. but it is a show carried by men for their idols, so bring me the petty men and some snacks and I will be always a happy camper
- it is rather a war drama than a Republican one but the premise is pretty interesting and fresh and the main actor does a great job portraying someone with deficits that is trying to outsmart his enemies. I guess math can be entertaining
- one of those themes Chinese audience loves the best - when youth love sacrifices itself for the sake of the nation. Long, sometimes boring and predictable, but nicely shot.
- it has a very interesting plot and very nice costumes but is really hard to get one’s hands on.
- Wallace in a double role. I do not need anything else.
- the plot is pretty crazy but the acting is solid and the costumes are gorgeous. this is also the drama were I fell in love with the second male lead because who would not love to have a silent badass protector that loves us to death?
For the die-had fans only as they are pretty flawed… but beautifully shot:
- watch it for bare-chested men and skip everything else. I mean it
- costumes are great, Hawick is great as a cold and aloof Bai Lang but he quickly turns into a soaked puppy in love and the whole romance is so ridiculous that I repeat, watch it for the costumes. and the end song ;))
- plotwise interesting but not so well executed. again, the flair of the times and the costumes are great
- a hint on boy’s love set in a very flat story but the costumes, especially the ones that scholar wears are magnificent. a very dull acting and almost no “thrill” despite it being another"spy drama" but it is an easy watch and there are Eng subs available on Youtube
On my “to watch” list:
- it is currently airing but I have not had the time to take a look at it. the costumes look great and the location is not Shanghai which is great because I prefer to learn about the traditional families’ transformations during the struggle rather than always following the very same street in Shanghai The acting… well, there are idols in it so it will not be epic but I do hope it will have a happy ending.
- the sequel to Wuxin. It seems to be an equally delicious treat for the fans of the first season and the villainess is also deliciously styled
- I heard only praises about this drama so I am looking forward to actually watching it
- young, restless and handicapped by the tremors of war? The young being Zhang Ruo Yun? sign me in. The whole drama is available on YT with Eng subs so grab it while it is there, although it is a war drama and not necessarily a social drama.
- it has similar flair t it as War of the beauties so I am waiting for a chance to marathon it
- it is airing right now and it looks really solid in terms of acting.
https://mydramalist.com/26897-love-in-han-yuan - it looks like a mixture of Disguiser and a soapy story about an orphaned girl used in the game of spies and lies, but the costumes are great and one has never enough of Yuan Kai, right?
- it just stopped airing and from the snippets I saw Chen Xiao plays his role pretty well, making me smirk with him and wanting to strangle him so
Honorable mentions - dramas I liked but would probably not rewatch:
There are definitely more dramas that I forgot about but my post is already outrageously long
I am waiting for Autumn’s Cicada, Great Expectations, Spy Hunter (a prequel to Disguiser), Please give me a Pair of Wings, and Siege in Fog ( although I fear it will not end well…).
And I would definitely avoid:
- a great example how annoying characters can kill the joy of watching anything.
Apologies for a long post but you did hit my soft spot