Best Dramas of the Year

The year 2023 is over and I’m curious to know what your favorite dramas of the year were. I may have missed some that were worth watching. Here’s mine.

K-dramas
:1st_place_medal: - My Dearest
:2nd_place_medal: - Moving
:3rd_place_medal: - Love To Hate you

C-dramas
:1st_place_medal: - A Journey to Love
:2nd_place_medal: - Till the End of the Moon
:3rd_place_medal: - Back from the Brink

5 Likes

#1 My Dearest
#2 Dr Romantic 3
#3 Twinkling Watermelon
#4 Moving
#5 The Good Bad Mother

5 Likes

I didn’t watch a lot of 2023 dramas in 2023 (I had some catching up to do from previous years). But I also really liked Korean drama Our Blooming Youth. FL was quite the character - you couldn’t not like her. And, you know, Park Hyung Sik.

Surprisingly, Chinese dramas were a win for me in 2023 - with Wonderland of Love and Fake It Till You Make It taking the lead. Two very different dramas with two very different charms, but I liked them equally well.

4 Likes

I can’t rank them, it’s a very difficult job. But here are my 3 picks:
Twinkling Watermelon, Moving, The Good Bad Mother.

5 Likes

I think most people who watched Moving, thought it was exceptional, myself included. I wonder if it was the fact that it was the superhero genre which is quite rare in Asian and super popular in Western cinematography.

3 Likes

I liked Moving because I found it different from other superhero stories and because the characters are endearing. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m not going to rank them but I liked:

and

The last one was a surprise to me that I liked… I was only going to watch and look at the swords (I’m an iaidoka så japanes swords are a part of my life), but I binged it…

5 Likes

Mine are: Tale of Nine-Tailed 1938 ; See You in My 19th Life ; Hidden Love

4 Likes

Now I really want to watch “Twinkling Watermelon”. The title didn’t attract me at the time.

1 Like

Finally watched My Dearest. Gosh, it was amazing! It returned my faith in sageuks, which had been in decline in quality in the recent years.

1 Like

I am frankly still stuck in the 2021-2022 era, and I realized I barely watched anything that came out in 2023. I’ll probably get to most of them in 2024. It’s an endless cycle. :skull:

I did really enjoy “Island.” The graphics were epic, and it was nice to see that sort of dark, supernatural exorcist-meets-constantine world in a k-drama. I love Lee Da Hee and Sung Joon.

The 2023 things I mostly watched were actually BLs. In the BL world, which I think in some ways has different standards for “best” compared to mainstream dramas, “Our Dating Sim,” “The Eighth Sense,” and “A Breeze of Love” were personal favorites (though again, I’m limited to what I’ve seen from 2023).

2 Likes

I did not even know about Moving, but from this GIF alone, I am putting it on my list, lol. I have loved Lee Jung Ha ever since he appeared brightly on The Unit.

1 Like