Better communication

It is so hard to contribute if no one is replying or getting back to you months later

2 Likes

You sent a personal message or did you rely on Project Finder?

• You should send personal messages.
  • Make sure the person is still active on Viki by checking the ā€œRecent Contributionsā€ tag. Not having recent contributions may mean that the person is not visiting Viki these days.
  • Send a message to more than one person. Not too many, though, because what happens if you get two or three different projects at the same time and you donā€™t have the time to handle them? If the first person doesnā€™t reply within a week, try the next one.
  • You donā€™t need to apply for a specific project. Itā€™s easier if you apply to a moderator and ask whether they have any projects in need of help.
  • Donā€™t forget to state what your language is, in what continent you are located and whether you have a Viki pass or not.
  • Make a sample video or two.

@irmar Iā€™ve done all of that on project finder and seems my effort isnā€™t appreciated at at

Many CMs forget to check Project Finder, because they donā€™t get any notifications that somebody applied for their project. In that case, please write directly to the Moderator of your language or to the CM :slight_smile:

1 Like

@morva I will definitely try that as I truly want to contribute

2 Likes

Furthermore, itā€™s recommended to only provide both samples and subtitles in a language you know perfectly. As using a translator is prohibited, samples in many languages are usually not reflecting on someoneā€™s true abilities. Very few people know x different languages to an extent that they can provide proper translations. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

@xylune i can do thai and korean as well as English

Well, does it make sense to you if

ā€œOne and Two and ģ”°źøˆģ”© ė‹¤ź°€ģ™€ģ„œā€ becomes ā€œķ•˜ė‚˜, ė‘˜, ģ²œģ²œķžˆ ė‚“ź²Œė”œ ģ˜Øė‹¤ā€ ? Those are sung lyrics, why would they differ from the subtitles? Contributors here are doing their best in a language they know perfectly well. They have to make sure that the quality is sufficient and for English to X itā€™s recommended to either know X perfectly well or be a native speaker since itā€™s rather difficult to get to the required level. This might take many years - and often even native speakers lack knowledge in their own language or in English to fulfill this sort of job.

I said donā€™t use the Project Finder. And the Project Finder is by project, not by moderator. Itā€™s more productive to go by moderator instead, regardless of project.

I joined viki in 2023 but got to know abt the contributor community recentlyā€¦I was very clueless as I wanted to help but didnā€™t how to. I would send multiple requests on project finder but none would reply. Then I texted a moderator and she repliedā€¦now I know to find a project u donā€™t write to the project finder thing but directly to the moderatorā€¦also if you have not contributed ever make sure to have atleast 1 sample video on ur profile to make it easier for the moderator to know ur skills.

1 Like