🌈 BL & GL dramas do more than just entertain

Ok, thanks. I figure you might have an idea what is going through her mind that we can’t reach a level of communication with her at this moment.

2 Likes

Hi again @angelight313_168.

I just wanted to let you know that I haven’t forgotten about my promise to you. I’ve now finished my commitments and I’ll reply to you first thing when I awaken in the morning. It’s now 1:30 a.m. for me and I’m pretty tired.

Kind regards,
Manganese

1 Like

Don’t worry take your time and rest. Sweet dreams.

Good things come to those who wait. I know coming from experience whatever you write; will help understand many things and see the light at the end of this tunnel.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t care, I tend to watch what ever the case and be able to understand the emotions. I think the problem is that we have marginalized groups etc and thus may need role models, the issue rather is that you can’t have who ever as your role model that you admire. Though I personally internalize my issues more that externalize, so I don’t have or have had role models. So I welcome these sorts of BL/GL etc dramas and recognize their value for some, but think their need is sad. They should just be a normal thing.

2 Likes

Hi @angelight313_168

Below are some thoughts. I sincerely hope that they give some added insight to you and your family.

Your sister’s problem with her granddaughter is a tough one. It is important for your sister to accept and to embrace the fact that her granddaughter likes females and not think that “it’s just a stage she’s going through.” As I mentioned in my post that started the thread, I was 12-13 years old when I realised I found the same sex attractive. Though I tried to change that many times over the years, it didn’t work. Decades later, I still like men. It’s who I am.

Throughout my life, I’ve always kept a few “sayings” in mind that have shaped the way I face the turmoils that come with living. Some of these sayings are…

1. Actions speak louder than words.

2. Do it now.

3. I can’t change the way people think. I can only change the way I think.

4. Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back and reasons to stay. (This last one is from the Dalai Lama.)

My advice comes from the perspective of these life philosophies of mine.

Rather than trying to reason with her granddaughter, I encourage your sister to do some homework in relation to Black Pink. Read about: [a] their history and how they came together as a group; [b] what countries the singers are from; [c] what their most successful songs are; etc. I also encourage her to watch some YouTube clips of Black Pink singing and dancing. Your sister doesn’t have to like Black Pink but it would be great if she can develop a respect for them.

When your sister has a little bit of knowledge about Black Pink, she can then talk to her granddaughter about a topic that her granddaughter holds dear to her heart. (Having something in common to discuss is a really good starting point for mending problems.) Also, when your sister talks to her daughter (the granddaughter’s mother), make sure she talks on speaker-phone so that the granddaughter can hear it. Tell your sister to have a Black Pink song playing in the background while she’s talking. Maybe her granddaughter will hear this and will think positive thoughts about her grandmother. It will help.

June is “Pride Month.” This means that there will be a number of LGBTQ+ events happening in many countries. Have a look on the internet to see if things are happening in your area. If they are, arrange a family outing. Doing this shows that everyone accepts your sister’s granddaughter for who she is. Don’t make a big thing about it, and treat the fact that she likes girls the same as if she told you her favourite colour is purple. It’s just a fact of life and nothing to get upset about.

LGBTQ+ communities often have people to talk to who can give families ideas on how to cope. I suggest that your sister have a look around to see if there is a group of mums and dads of gay people. There often is. It’s good to talk to others who have been on a similar journey and have reached the other side of the stormy seas. There are also many YouTube clips of parents of gay children. These are valuable to watch. I just came across the one below and thought it might help give a different way of looking at things. Reading the comments below the clips also helps a great deal.

I hope these thoughts help.
Manganese.

4 Likes

Wow all this suggestion are wonderful. I will send my sister all this information, and I hope she looks into trying all these wonderful suggestions. I know about BlackPink girls, but not enough to start a conversation about them; so I’m also going to learn more about them in the hopes that I can communicate more with her. She knows I like Asian dramas/movies and know some korean words, but she thinks bc I tried to stay out of it, that I sided with my sister when in reality since she was suicidal I was terrified to even talk to her. I, for other reasons did try to commit suicide but sadly when I saw her condition (physical) I just froze and called my sister crying and that’s when she tried with no success to convince her that she loves her just the same but it hasn’t worked so far.

Thank you so much and I’m going to watch the video now.

PS. The video is gold . I absorbed every word she said, and cried when she wanted to cry. She’s everything a parent should be supportive, loving and so blessed to be in that child’s life. I’m sending this video’s link to my sis…

2 Likes

I totally agree. Whether a person is straight or LGBTQ+ will be normal one day. The world is not quite there yet, though. With each year that passes, things seem to get a little closer to such a day.

I’ve just been involved with helping out with subs on the Japanese movie “His.” This movie shows a few of the struggles that LGBTQ+ people face. It is a really heart-warming journey. There are also some heart-wrenching moments so if you decide to watch it, keep some Kleenex tissues nearby. You will probably need them. It’s a beautiful story and it deserves its 9.5 rating.

UPDATE: Director Rikiya IMAIZUMI won NIPPON CINEMA AWARD 2021 for the movie “his” !
award%202021%20small

Some people prefer to watch the 5-part series first. This is the prequel that leads to the movie. The movie is self-contained and it still makes perfect sense without watching the background series. This background series is also excellent story telling and provides insight into how Nagisa and Shun met.

6 Likes

@manganese

UPDATE:
My sister and her granddaughter spend quality time together, and I’m over the moon with happiness.

She didn’t revealed (talked) too much but at least we know she’s stable. Thank you so much!

@manganese

She’s back to school (summer), and looks gorgeous! Got over her such long distant and impossible? infatuation, and hopefully will find someone closer to her that can share beautiful days together.

4 Likes

Hi @angelight313_168

I’m so glad to hear that those immense hurdles have been jumped and things are settling down. Thank you so much for letting me know. One of the most difficult parts is out of the way now.

May good things continue to come your family’s way!
Manganese

3 Likes

I also participated in the translation of the film “His”. It is really a beautiful film. It made me think of

which also shows a few of the struggles that LGBTQ+ people face.
I am not gay. I’m a mom of four and GL/BL dramas are a way for me to learn more about the community LGBTQ+ . I hope that if one of my children is gay they won’t be afraid to tell me.

6 Likes

Hi @anne_21,

I haven’t seen the Director’s Cut of this show. I’ve read reviews and everyone recommends it over the series (which I loved). This is a very well written and well presented drama in every way. The scene with Ito Akira’s parents is really authentic. It can take years to get up the courage to tell your family that you’re gay (even though they’ve probably suspected it for a long time).

From the sound of your message, I’m pretty sure that your children won’t have any problems. If “gay” is not an issue for you, it won’t be an issue for them, either.

Thanks for reminding me about the Director’s Cut! I’ll watch it in the next couple of days :slight_smile:

All the best,
Manganese

2 Likes

Director’s Cut is almost like the series but there are a few more scenes that make the film happier and warmer.
I also thought that if being gay wasn’t a problem for the parents, the kids would be fine, but it’s not that simple. I have a friend whose daughter was not well so she suggested her to go to a psychiatrist. She found out that her daughter was unwell because she didn’t dare tell her that she was gay. She thought her daughter knew that it was okay for them. That she had told her enough, but that wasn’t the case.

1 Like

I wonder if these links could be merged?

It’s a different topic. Sure, it’s both related to BLs, but other than that, they’re not the same.

6 Likes

Few years ago, I watched the film Pride

with my children
I did it in purpose but one of their questions surprised me. It’s about AIDS : they asked me why the didn’t use condoms. It was hard for them to understand that at the time of the film nothing was known about AIDS.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen this film. It looks interesting. I clearly remember the early 1980s when AIDS first came into the world. It was very scary. Interestingly, it’s a zoonotic like COVID. At the time, they anticipated that it would take 30 years to develop a vaccine for AIDS. So far they haven’t been successful but at least it can be controlled today so that people live long and well.

It’s fantastic that your children are comfortable talking with you about AIDS/HIV and condoms. A lot of parents find those topics uncomfortable. It seems to me that you’ve already opened important doorways of conversation with your sons and daughters. These doorways will be a tremendous asset for both you and them in years to come.

2 Likes

Ha ha. This brought back memories! Me and the kids sitting at the kitchen table with cucumbers and different kinds of condoms. They still cringe when they remember that educational session. However, I hope it was useful to them later on.

2 Likes

I’m not comfortable with these topics. We don’t talk about it much. Movies are a good way to open my children to the world.
My mother did the same with me. We saw at the theater:
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
High heels

1 Like

Hi Irmar :slight_smile:

I :heart: this comment. When I read it I had this image in my head of a packet of condoms, a few cucumbers, a mum and some sons and daughters. It was the highlight of my day! I have no doubt whatsoever that your children would have benefited greatly from this. I’m pretty sure they’ll take the lesson to their own children as well. Good on you for being upfront and tackling such a difficult topic. In this day and age of HIV and other STDs, condoms are still the best protection and, as they say, “forewarned is forearmed.”

Thanks for sharing your story,
Mn

3 Likes

Hi Anne,

Personally, I don’t think that it’s necessary to feel comfortable. They’re incredibly embarrassing topics and can be quite confronting to talk to children about. Showing acceptance of gender diversity (through actions) and being prepared to listen when needed are the two most valuable traits a parent can have, I reckon.

I’ve noticed recently that in a couple of BL shows, sexual health has been included in the story-line. This is a good thing.

One such show is “My Gear And Your Gown” from Thailand. I’d rate the show as suitable for 15+ years of age. It covers coming-out, parental acceptance, bisexual relationships, gay relationships, heterosexual relationships, friendship, romance, gender diversity and sexual health. It’s quite a charming series without being overly dramatic.

If you want to get some ideas on how to address any of the above topics just in case the need ever arises with your own children, this show is valuable viewing.

Regards,
Mn

3 Likes