Bossam - Bets - Please do NOT enter if you aren't up to date with the series

What do you think about the following questions?

1. Dae Yeops mother is his so-called aunt
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1. Dae Yeop’s father is/was
  • the king himself
  • Ba Wu’s father or one of his uncles
  • the late crown prince

0 voters

1. To fill the further episodes, apart from the politics, Cha Dol’s mother will appear
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1. Ba Wu’s mother and sister have disappointed me very much
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Dae Yeop is a big mystery. Only the question of the “return of the mother” is bigger :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

What I want to know is “Dae Yeop, who’s your daddy?”

5 Likes

Although I understand them, a little bit.

2 Likes

Yes, me, too. Especially since the mother is concerned about Cha Dol’s future. But still disappointing. They could be a lot nicer to the princess!

3 Likes

And how cute is Cha Dol anyway?! I saw a few comments about some viewers being annoyed by him whining a bit too much in the latter episodes, but I think he is just so adorable, and he is perfect for that role!

4 Likes

They probably haven’t been around real children too much. A normal child in this situation would whine. Period.

4 Likes

Hey, you didn’t put Tae Chul in the options for mysterious daddy. I’m quite sure it’s him. Can’t you add him?

4 Likes

My first thought was that they wanted to avoid an incest, that’s why the marriage with the second brother.

But I may (and will) add a poll “Whose role will not experience the series end” or “Will Dae Yeop end with the sister”.

3 Likes

Depending on what year they will make the series end. History is such a spoiler! We actually know how the evil Yi I Cheom ended up and when.

2 Likes

Whose role will ot experience the series end:

• Gangwhae
  • Yi I Cheom
  • Dae Chul (guard)
  • Kim Gae Shi, Court Lady
  • Chun Bae
  • Yi Won Yeop
  • Yi Dae Yeop
  • Ba Wu
  • Hwa In (princess)
  • Court Lady Jo

0 voters

Hwa In resp. Su Gyeong seems to go from bad to worse regarding her two mothers-in-law.

3 Likes

I know, right? They are so prejudiced.
It must be said, though, that she has a point. A little background on the nobility in Joseon times might help.

Yangban consisted of munban, the civil officers, and muban, the military officers. Although civil officers were of higher ranks than military officers due to Joseon stressing more on literature and Confucianism than art of war, both were considered as the noblemen and aristocrats.
The yangban were the ones who provided the land for the commoners to rent or work on since they got it presented by the King. Yangban collected rents for their own land and also the taxes for the government from the lower classes. They are the people with the stable life: jobs from the government and continuous supply of money in the form of rents. Another plus point for being in this class was being exempted from government taxes and even military service.

Yangban status isn’t fully hereditary. It is gained through success in gwageo (the state examination, focusing on Chinese classics and, the military one, on martial arts) and getting a government post and lasts for 3 generations. As one is declared a yangban, the immediate family members (as far as the seventh relatives) and descendants would be considered yangban too. One could say that the status is semi-hereditary, as the descendants of a government officer would be demoted to the commoner level if they were unable to serve the government in three generations.

The examination was only for male candidates from families with clean records. Hence, they had to submit a list of their four ancestors on both paternal and maternal sides, known as sajo. Sons and grandsons of people with unclear or unclean backgrounds, for instance concubines, widows who remarried, and corrupt officials, were not allowed to enter the examination.

4 Likes

Oh, and you should read this. It seems not much has changed - or not enough - since the Joseon period.

3 Likes

speaking of the devil… that I understand even in Korean

1 Like

What would a proper K-Drama be without the return of the ex?

1 Like

New here. Post kept getting deleted on the app drama discussion section. If this gets deleted too oh well…

This drama has by far exceeded my expectations though they were rather low as I’m not really a fan of saeguk genre which relies heavily on the political storyline between men and sometimes women in ranks doing everything they can to attain and maintain a stronghold of power. I was proven wrong time and again by a cast with great chemistry with unparalleled acting, a thought provoking love story not just between the leads but of learning self importance and love (Soo Gyeung choosing to live her life as she wishes), an abundance of eye catching and breathtaking cinematography, and a soundtrack that propels the scene to an ever waterfall of emotions.

The script may lean a bit more on the political story but that doesn’t mean that the love story is lacking or even slow as some have stated in comments. Yes it’s ep. 13 with no kiss but there’s so much more meaning in their progression as imperfect humans finding resolve with the unfortunate events in their lives (Ba Wu losing his family and title at a young age and vowing revenge, Princess In Hwa as nothing more than a political pawn who is easily thrown away) while fighting to survive and keeping their loved ones safe. Also let’s not forget that she was a victim of a failed bossam and though he tried to fix that mistake it was too late as she was announced dead by suicide by her in law’s instead of owning to the King that they failed to keep the Princess safe. Their road together isn’t a flowery path but with stones and boulders. Time and again they’ve parted ways only to save each other. Ba Wu saves her in a more physical way while she saves him in a more mental and emotional hell he’s been living since he was young.

So much has happened since then and though some scenes may seem like fillers but we’ve watched Soo Gyeung adjust to life from a sheltered Princess to a commoner doing everyday tasks from cooking, washing dishes and clothes, working for money, and experiencing first hand how society is outside of the Palace. It is ruthless and merciless to the poor and those with money always took advantage of those without as we’ve seen continuously in every village they move to.

The script has impeccable timing in thrusting their feelings for each other without saying too much but instead having him pulling her in for a hug when it seemed that living apart was inevitable, Soo Gyeung’s desperation cry of “Ba Wu” when he was being arrested by Da Yeob, secret prison visit with both on their knees and clasping on to each other even while separated by prison bars (it parallels their situation of how they’re continually being torn apart from every direction), her understanding of why he didn’t want to tell his family he was unwell after being shot though not much was said between them, and of course the flirting underneath the spring blossom during a breezy day. There may be more I missed but these are the ones that come to mind.

6 Likes

I agree with you.

And I just want to add something from my side: I m really surprised by how taken I am with this drama. I honestly did not expect that I would be into it that much, cause I am just not a Jung Il Woo fan - I didn’t find him appealing as an actor before. I just like historical dramas ^^’ I’ve never watched a drama with Yuri before. So I was sort of apprehensive, because a lot of idols can’t… well, act. But I guess, she is an actress now ^^’ So I am just floored by how much I like the leads.

Also… can I just say, that I miss all the Cha Dol, Ba Wu, Hwa In scences? These changes in their lives have really impacted them being together like that. It seems, there’s a growing phyiscal distance, which comes with that reality.

4 Likes

I’ve seen the two leads in other dramas before and there’s nothing that jumps at you that makes you say wow I’d like to see their other works. Like you I’m also wary of Idols turned actor. They tend to be hit or miss but dramas choose them for their popularity and viewers can only hope that they’re the rare few that can act. The two leads have definitely changed my mind about them lol.

2 Likes

I had no desire to watch this drama, but I was helping out with some translation questions and only watched few minutes here and there, as a favor to the channel manager. Then I decided to at least watch the first couple episodes just so that I can have the context and know the characters. And the drama really pulled me in and I am really enjoying it.

I knew Jung Il Woo could act, but I had no idea Kwon Yuri could act so well! She is the perfect 옹주 (princess) in hiding! She seems so natural and graceful and believable. I am very impressed! All the other actors (including Cha Dol) are great as well.

4 Likes