BRING BACK THE OLD, COMFORTING DRAMA CHARM! šŸ˜ Give Us Positive Feel Good Dramas!

HeartBREAK HOTEL

I wonder if Iā€™ll end up in HEARTBREAK jail today!

3 Likes

See, I wanted to write it yesterday, I always end up singing Heartbreak Hotel to the Carole King song that actually is named Hardrock CafĆØ

3 Likes

I love Eric Mun but not sure about this one - but such a good actor

nothing but fun

This is a great drama - I loved it

2 Likes

I thought heart string was a cute drama, loved flower boy ramyn shop, my girl,awesome, and chinese(?) version too

2 Likes

Yes, there are 2 versions of My Girl

1 Like

plus a Thai and Filipino version

2 Likes

Good enough to put you to sleep.

1 Like

This is so DARN CUTE!!! I love it!

2 Likes

I again have gone back and started watching more of the older ones, got some good ones I think. other than the ones I mentioned earlier,

1. the girl who sees smells
    2 the player
    3 my secret hotel
    4 redemption
    5 dear fair lady
    6 awwww good manager, I also will watch it again
    7 I think its time to watch fated to love you both versions
    8 may break down and watch you are my destiny as well.
    wow no historical drama in this bunch? what gives??? maybe next time
1 Like

Wow I LOVED The Player!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: I think it does showcase the old, comforting kdrama charmā€” though it wasnā€™t fluffy or romantic, what made it so Korean was that the con-artisting and action almost always came AFTER the relationship development in terms of quality. There were tiny plot holes, but the relationships formed were so well done and beautifully personal to watch. Each main character was wonderfully human, and we see their struggles and friendships, laughter and loveā€¦ all while engaging in action and mind-games and adventure!

Girl Who Sees Smells wasnā€™t up to the mark, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I forgot switch, and we do have a twin somewhere, I enjoyed this one, wonder what ever happened to the main lead? donā€™t hear anything about him
I thought that one was quite good, the sketch one , I really didnā€™t care much for that one.
and no healer, heal me kill me, whats with that??

donā€™t want to watch water God, had enough of that one, and of course Lord Fox,

I agree with you about the girl who sees smells,

2 Likes

I again have gone back and started watching more of the older ones

2 Likes

Have you watched You Are My Hero? It feels like Iā€™m the dramaā€™s self-appointed publicity campaigner, but I loved how it gave me that old drama in charm in 2021! :joy::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

This one seems to be a good older comfortable show! I love Lee Dong Wook as his just cute younger self. And she is really cute.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only been in dramaland for a couple years, so Iā€™m not familiar with what you mean by the old, comforting drama charm. I read through the whole thread and am still not sure what would make a drama qualify for recommendation other than that someone specifically mentioned avoiding revenge plots and lots of blood/gore. I do know that sometimes I am looking for a ā€˜feel goodā€™ kind of show without a lot of angst and tropes that I hate (controlling parents, meddlesome second leads) With that in mind something I watched recently, though not on Viki, was Run On on Ntfx. Something about it was just refreshing. I donā€™t know how to really explain it other than to say it seemed to have a free and easy approach to dialogue and humor that I havenā€™t seen much in Kdramas. It tackled some common themes but handled them in new and different ways. And the FL does film subtitles as a profession! The whole cast was great and really fit their roles well.

3 Likes

I think comforting dramas do not have a lot of tropes. Especially the evil mother or mother-in-law trope. They are especially some of the older less angsty ones. Not a lot of crying - tense stuff. I think Oh My Venus is a good example just fun and not too serious. Empress Ki not so much! You will bawl your head off. I think of Winnie the pooh when I think of the comforting dramas.

3 Likes

I define ā€œold, comforting drama charmā€ as those fluffy, adorable dramas that also packed in a lot of meaning while also being funny, heartwarming and relatively frustration-free. They donā€™t just focus on the main couple but make you love everyone. Relationships of all kinds are well-written and full of emotions.

Prime example: Iā€™m Not A Robot made me cry, laugh and love ALL the characters. It was a funny, romantic show from start to end but packed in SO much meaningā€¦ You understand certain things about life but the writers add it so tactfully that it doesnā€™t feel like a lesson. And the comedy is always ON POINT!

Oh My Venus, 18 Again and Touch Your Heart are also good examples. The Player is non-romantic but it had that distinct k-drama flavorā€” no matter how much action and adventure they pack in, they still take time to develop relationships and create heartwarming adopted-family scenes. The characters are all flawed and no one is invincible. Itā€™s together that they create magic. They might be broken, but theyā€™re broken together.

In Chinese dramas, I think You Are My Hero and My Little Happiness were good examples.

3 Likes

If thatā€™s the case, my previous recommendation of Run On stands. It totally fits that description.

3 Likes

OK so I didnā€™t know where to put this but since this an OLDER drama.

Scent of a Woman - Lee Dong Wook - is A CUTIE

I love that the Female Lead stands up for herself - With EVERYONE! She does not take anything! I LOVE IT!

2 Likes

OK OK OK - I GET IT NOW - My first binge watch was Coffee Prince, I mean until 6 am - It is an older drama! I binged Scent of a Woman last night until almost 6 a.m. with a little tiny nap! I love this show! It is older but so well done and the romance is so slow burn and romantic!!! Oh gosh! Some great scenes in this oneā€¦that tango scene was so breathtaking.

Lee Dong Wook for the Win

1 Like