Button for Removing your CM application

Hi @teufelchen_netty_266 !

I’m so sorry there’s no button in Project Finder that let’s you cancel your own application. :frowning: By chance were you able to get a hold of the Channel Manager or a Viki staff member to help you? If not, please let me know!

I’m sure it’s been brought up that there needs to be a way to rescind an application. If it’s OK I’ll include your note as a reminder not to forget that’s still a request. Thank you!

Several times we have mentioned we would also like a button to withdraw ourselves from projects as Moderators. As of now we have to send PMs to CMs and hope they reposnd in a timely matter. We have occasionally an issue where some CMs are unavailable because they are either inactive or temporarily absent from Viki. This is especially the case in older projects. Or an emergency personal situation occurs and one has to withdraw from several projects at once. In those cases a button to instantly sign out of a project would be really helpful. We should probably also have the possibility to write a brief explanation for this withdrawal. And the CM should be automatically informed of the changes in her/his team. It would also immediately liberate a Moderator spot for that language and put it into the Project Finder, searching for new candidates to fill out the position.

1 Like

There is one problem, though. If the moderator leaves, the subbers stay behind without a moderator and that’s against the new rules.

3 Likes

All good points. Thanks for adding on, @bozoli. I like that suggestion of a adding a note too. :pray:

If I may ask a bit of history - has it always been this way or was there a different process before?

1 Like

There has never been a way to automatically remove yourself from any position.

2 Likes

If one or more of the editors/subbers left behind are a QC, they could be offered the role of the moderator.

But that should be arranged before the original mod leaves.

1 Like

mirjam_465
There is one problem, though. If the moderator leaves, the subbers stay behind without a moderator and that’s against the new rules.
But that should be arranged before the original mod leaves.

No matter how much this is against the rules they have to find a solution to this problem going on for so many years now. This is the main reason in the past so many projects were abandoned or forgotten and once I had a big struggle to take over such a project that the Moderator was moving to another country, and she/he was never able to take back the project and finish it nor we could contact him/her to see if she could be removed so someone else could be added (talking about something that happened back in 2013).

Death, sickness, tragedies, moving suddenly to another country and having no internet for whatever reason etc…it’s very real and part of life, so in those cases no one is in the right state of mind to ‘‘arrange anything before [the moderator leaves’’] or let’s say before we, you, I or any moderators leaves. a project. Also in the case of teufelchen_netty_266 that for a long time had been trying to remove him/herself as CM from a Channel, and don’t know yet if that was resolved, but I felt her/his idea was a good one. A SOLUTION that could be worked out by the TECH Dept.

I think that when volunteers give suggestions the RVIKI staff should look into if that solution is feasible or not, and take it from there. The trial and error thing does work and it could even be the solution of an existing problem so prevalent here at RVIKI.

I remember a while back volunteers (even myself) would apply for mod/cm positions in many projects just so they could get a chance to get in one of them, but ironically some would be picked for 3 and 4 different positions at the same time in projects, and they (I) were desperate and overwhelmed (I experienced that too) although I was able to work things out; it was so stressful and unnecessary to have to go through. From then on I only picked one project and never take the chance of going through that.

I have to mention I’m glad to read here that the segmenters are now taught to segg in different languages since I always repeated like a broken record you can’t do segments for Spanish dramas/movies like you do for Asian dramas or movies because the segments have to be ‘‘cut’’ differently. @porkypine wrote somewhere they are doing that now, but it took so many years, and is ridiculous that things take so long to be resolved since Rakuten company has all the resources to problem solve issues that cause stress in the volunteer’s work efforts at this site.

1 Like

I disagree. When people quit their jobs, they don’t find their substitute instead of their employer.

I would appreciate a heads-up instead of mods just disappearing, considering that solo-subbers are no longer allowed :frowning:

3 Likes

You getting heads up when somebody sends you a PM saying they’d like to remove themselves from the team, does it have to be in a PM or could it come via another system? It saves you as a CM time to read-remove-respond to the PM.

In this case, the “employer” might get in trouble for “allowing” unsupervised subbers in their team. Viki tells the CMs they will be punished for that, while it apparently won’t hold any consequences for the other people involved. How fair is that?

1 Like

That’s already in the past. Nowadays, they only get to practice on Korean and Mandarin videos and more Korean than Mandarin.

2 Likes

First, it doesn’t matter if the withdrawal happens automatically or if a CM does it manually. The Mod cannot be forced to stay on their position. The CMs are faced with the issue you mentioned already.

Secondly, in those rare occasions where every single remaining subber in a team (if there is indeed a subber) is not eligible to become a QC, Viki should make an exemption to their rule. It’s no good to transfer the issues Viki made onto stopping solutions for other issues.

In a system which is still being perfected, such as this one, no rule can truly be absolute until all caveats of making it have been explored, experienced and amended.

2 Likes

@mirjam_465
That’s already in the past. Nowadays, they only get to practice on Korean and Mandarin videos and more Korean than Mandarin.

Of course since to this day I don’t see Spanish dramas/movies like used to have so much in the past (which by the way some were such great dramas and movies). That is why I refuse to pay subscription to watch dramas here when dramas in my native language are not offered here. Anyway, I don’t need Rviki since I have this biggie one, and to add more to my joy; We don’t pay a lot either…

April 25, 20238:55 AM

Netflix to invest $2.5 billion in South Korea to make TV shows, movies

The U.S. streaming service made the announcement after a meeting between South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol and Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos. Yoon arrived in Washington on Monday for a six-day state visit.

PS. I wonder if RVikiwill survive having so little to offer here since it seems to me everything goes to NTFX anyways…

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is good or bad. More K-productions in the pipeline is always good. However, as can be seen already (in some K-productions), they are becoming more and more Americanized in many ways, to the detriment of the K-soul/spirit/culture. I’m sad in that aspect. While it is inevitable, let’s hope the “influence” is tampered down or kept to a minimum. :pray: :palms_up_together:
:crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

I’m all for having a “button” or some sort of mechanism to remove one’s CM application.

3 Likes

@jadecloud88

I don’t think K dramas in a million years will ever become Americanized since the only reason why Korean dramas are so popular all over the world is only because South Korea maintain their culture and values intact in their dramas .
I read another interesting article
Excerpt from NBC NEWS-----
*“It is incredible that the love towards Korean shows has led to a wider interest in Korea, thanks to the Korean creators’ compelling stories. Their stories are now at the heart of the global cultural zeitgeist,” he continued.
Netflix has enjoyed success with drama series including “Squid Game” and “The Glory,” and increasingly with unscripted shows such as “Physical 100,” at both a local and an international level.

[This is clearly the incentive $$$$$$, and Americanizing Korean dramas will work against them, and they are in for gains not losses] (my opinion)

In conclusion, this only proves they won’t change a thing in SK dramas/movies…
excerpt NBC NEWS----
*A roster of Korean content has anchored Netflix position as the dominant streamer within the wealthy and competitive Korean market. And at the same time, Korean shows are increasingly traveling across borders, propelling a “Korean wave” of enthusiastic audiences beyond Korean entertainment’s established markets in East Asia.

They definitely have emphasized multiple times in different articles that it will be a 100% made South Korean products (dramas) they want. nothing else.

**They are in for the money, but they certainly know why Korean Dramas are famous for, and they won’t change a thing since all Production will come from the same companies that are producing K dramas in South Korea, not by the American producers/Directors etc… they tried already by producing an mix of Americanized Asian dramas/movies, and they have failed popularity (I myself try watching some and I couldn’t keep watching).

PS Did you see CRAZY RICH AMERICAN or GO BACK TO CHINA? Hated them and couldn’t finish watching. The cursing in some of them was exaggeratedly unnecessary, and it felt too fake, and in some instances disrespectful to both the Americans and the Asians; A complete disaster to watch and a failure into Americanizing an Asian drama/movie/Show. There were times I felt offended by some scenes and that is why i refuse to give them viewership.

^^^^^***Note added
I definitely see in a Americanized way less sufferings for this young singers/actors from South Korea since in USA they have Laws that protect the well being of young people and children in the Media world. They are not subjected to extreme cold/heat, hunger, long hours in filming etc. I can provide so many pictures of the food and confort American TV Producers especially when it involves young people during filming or training for musicals and others…I saw it first hand since my youngest daughter at one point worked as a Production Assistant of shows, Movies etc.

1 Like