Can I translate a new drama that require vikipass standars without a vikipass?

Hi, I’m new to translating and wanted to help translate a new C-drama but I noticed that it require a vikipass standard to watch it, so I was wondering if I can translate it without the vikipass or I is it necessary to have one.

1 Like

If you can’t watch it, you won’t have access to the translating tools either so no, unfortunately, you can’t translate it.
You basically have 2 options:

1. Buy a Viki Pass
  2. Work on shows that don’t require a Viki Pass for now. Once you have reached 3,000 subtitles, you will get a free Viki Pass and then you will have a lot more shows to choose from.
6 Likes

okay, thank you for your answer.

3 Likes

It’s impossible. You must be able to watch it to have the access to subtitles. Everything depends on Viki pass or Viki pass plus ou no pass.

5 Likes

So those living in the U.S. for instance could potentially work on Viki’s entire library. But someone from Romania is stuck with just the handful of dramas that make it out here. I don’t like that, No, Sir! :no_good_man:

6 Likes

Well, yes, the Americas at least have the advantage of the Viki Pass Plus which people in other places simply can’t get (not paid, nor otherwise). And in general, content providers are more interested in the US than in our countries. There’s not much Viki can change about that either.
QCs and Gold QCs do have the advantage that they can see some of the shows that are normally not available in their area, but not all of them.

2 Likes

It stings, but what can I do anyway? :confused:

2 Likes

Not much, I’m afraid. You could request shows, but that only works if many people in your area request it, too, and even then not always.

@oube I see the show you are working on has 4 free episodes. If those episodes can get you to 3,000 subtitles, you will have access to the rest of the show, too. If not, you can work on other shows first and get back to it later if it hasn’t been translated yet by then.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I’m planning to do, thank you very much:smiley:

1 Like

In all honesty, I have no idea why services like VIKI/KOCOWA aren’t fully available in Europe. HBO MAX and Disney+ have been released over the Summer in my country, giving Netflix a run for its money. It feels great to have more than one premium streaming services.

For South Korea, however, new markets do not equal new opportunities. Sheesh… :unamused:

2 Likes

Chinese shows often have VikiPass initially, but the episodes are free later on… so it’ll be still possible to subtitle them after some time has passed. :woman_shrugging: Usually, it’s mainly Korean shows that remain limited for Pass owners (and movies are usually QC only).

2 Likes

Sometimes you can write have the channel manager or an editor write to viki. I also didn’t have QC when my team promoted me to translation editor!!

It is possible. Write and ask if you can be on the team. Chi-Eng subbers are so few

1 Like