Can't access VikiPass episodes to subtitle even though I'm on the team

I just recently joined a channel team, and found that I don’t have access to the subtitle editor for the Viki Pass only episodes. I’m a new subtitler and only have about ~400 subtitle in my contribution. Is this normal? Is anyone else seeing this problem?

This is the error mesg I get: “We are sorry, but this video is currently not available due to regional or other content license restrictions. Back to previous page”
I thought that since I’m on the channel team, I should have access to the subtitle editor for all episodes on that channel. Am I missing something?

My Channel Manager is aware of this and already submitted a request, just thought I do a sanity check here. Thanks!

I don’t know why your channel manager didn’t tell you if the drama is not available in your region even if you are in the team you can’t do any work segmenting subbing etc… I was shocked when I read many ppl complaining about that.

I’m in the US, and had access to the first few episodes that did not require Viki-Pass. As far as I know, the drama is licensed for US. My CM has already contacted Viki about this. I wanted to post the thread here to see if anyone else may have any insights?

1 Like

If you are not a QC and the drama/movie/show is VikiPass only, you won’t be able to work on it even if live in the licensed region. An emergency QC status can be requested but even then, it takes time to get it approved, unfortunately.

4 Likes

She only has 400 subtitles so I guess she’s not QC. How many you need for QC ppl give different numbers here so I’m confused.

Ah. I see. That’s interesting because I thought we should be able to just access the shows we are working on. Oh well. To get to QC level will take quite a long time. :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for the info.

3000 subs or segments.

2 Likes

@mzchele_747 go on this link and scroll all the way down to read the criteria when contributing, also a CM and a Moderator would know these rules as well before they assign volunteers but even when QC’s contribute, as per content provider’s regional restrictions these QCs might not be able to access the videos, sometimes this rule can change midway. - If I have it right, in general an On Air drama is only to QC’s accessible to volunteer unless there is a permission by the content provider or viki.

I know with some shows there has been an exception to only contributing team. - It seems you are not the only subber affected and I guess Viki needs to answer. If you cannot access video just from the drama page and it states that your region is restricted it is very likely you cannot contribute unless the cont.provider makes an exception.
Also if I may point out, the other drama you are contributing, send a request to the English Moderator or CM for adding you on that team as a subtitler. - Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:
https://www.viki.com/community

4 Likes

@simi11 Thanks for the link and explanation. It is clear to me now that viki-pass vids are only available to those that have viki-pass regardless if they’re volunteers/channel team. It’s too bad since I really liked working on this show. And thanks for your heads up about my other contributions. I have contacted the CM a while ago, but no response for now. I will try again.

Thanks all for your help!

2 Likes

@mzchele_747 try to reach out to this person, she is CM and Spanish Mod and active https://www.viki.com/users/kalmendarez/overview. Also leave a note in the Editor of the said drama in the Team Discussion, and write also @kalmendarez can you please add me as English subtitler?, in that way it will show in the disqus as a notification and she can answer you, hope this helps; if she visits this forum the @ will also pop up.

1 Like

Thanks @simi11! Just reached out to @kalmendarez about adding me to the sub team for Bitter Sweet. Hopefully I will hear back soon.

1 Like