Channel Managers -- Do Occasional checking of other languages!

No, you weren’t the editor, there wasn’t even one line with your name. There was a first round in 2008, then in 2012 auntiemame edited, but in 2014 several people came in and wrecked havoc.

All the history is kept. See, here:

history

What happens to our contributions when a video is deleted? No worries, it seems they’re still there. See at the right hand corner? “Wrote a sub on a deleted video”.
kjj841_subs

But not always! The following subber made 856 subs for Beethoven Virus and a few on a couple of other dramas. Beethoven Virus hasn’t been deleted (although episode 8 was replaced because the voice and video were out of synch). Yet there are zero contributions. Very strange.
deercrossingsign_01
deercrossingsign_02
And let me finish with another subber who thought he could share his own views on the characters:
exorandbut_comments_01

3 Likes

Thanks for taking a look on this matter!! Good info to know!

What do you mean by “there are 0 contributions”?:thinking: I didn’t understand that part.

I also updated the miniguide for mods just a few moments ago :slight_smile: Gotta check on 2 subbers later, lazy from lazy here.

Aish! Better to laugh than crying over this :joy:
Do you also keep funny translations (anonymous) you saw while editing or watching?

Thanks again, Irene!

Thank you for bringing up this issue! From time to time I do check up my channels, but usually I take a look on the progress and not on the subs themselves. And I check the comment section and the timed comments. I will keep that in mind next time, I’ll check over the episodes.

Concerning the lyrics, I’m a big fan of OST and in my teams we have always a google sheet with all songs and lyrics. But - as long as we don’t have the English lyrics, we put in a music note. I will always wait until we get the English lyrics put up into the Team Notes, I don’t use the lyrics from the episodes, as long we don’t have a revised version. Just because those lyrics from the episodes are sometimes so different, that my subbers have problems to recognize them.

A few times I left those segments empty, because the CM doesn’t like simple notes in the subs, but in this case viewers did complain, that the episodes are not fully translated. Usually I fill in any lyrics while doing the final edits, but sometimes I have other editors, I can’t do all the final edits alone. We have a huge lack of reliable editors in the German community and I had dramas with 3-4 editors, all vanishing after a few weeks, when they realized, how time consuming editing could be. In the meanwhile all those empty segments were still there, so I really prefer putting in simple notes and think it’s better to use notes as a placeholder, until I or the editor could fill in the missing subs.

2 Likes

On this person’s project page there were three projects where s/he worked. Beethoven Virus with 856 subs and other two dramas, with a few subs in each. Okay? Then I went to “Recent contributions”, to check whether there were any funny translations. But, instead of seeing some pages of those subs, there was nothing, it said - as you saw on the screenshot - that this subber had no contributions.
On all other subbers I checked yesterday, the subs were showing in Recent Contributions, even if it was 11 years ago, even if it was on videos since deleted.
Why on this subber’s page there is nothing?
If the person were an abuser, Viki would have also deleted the sub count, but they didn’t, the sub count says the total number. So why there are no Recent Contributions?
It’s a mystery.

3 Likes

Thanks, Irmar! That is a mystery for me too!

Update. I just got informed by a viewer that on another channel, a subber entered one letter to fill out several parts of an episode. I guess this type of behavior on older channels (this drama is about four or five years old) is more prevalent than I imagined. The bad subs were done by someone who apparently had done appropriate subbing before. I am guessing the person did it because she had access to the channel and her QC status needed to be renewed in a hurry so i tab i tab i tab i! What is maddening is that there are apparently appropriate subs in the episode so I can’t delete all the subs in that language on that episode and must leave those i i i i i there. How tedious for viki staff to remove several hundred.

1 Like

From the moment people know they can get perks thanks to a number of contributions, there will always be abusers, so we will always have to check. It’s never ending.

I also got the case where the person didn’t do abusive contributions on my channel, but did on another channel when I randomly checked by clicking on the profile.
From the moment you know that; as a mod or a CM, how can you trust this person, that she won’t do the same thing on any channel, including yours when you don’t look or when she will need to renew her perks? Why people would change suddenly if there is no appropriate sanction or when it is easy to abuse the system?

It is the same when it is fan-based, it will attract everyone, from people who don’t have enough knowledge in the language but will still do and will justify that they don’t do edition or they translate with programs because it is done by fans without pay. Why people would change suddenly if no appropriate sanction will exist?
Rules are good to work in a society, but in any society, if you just let people play in the playground without checking, without application of sanctions, there will be one day or another accidents. People won’t change without giving them a good reason to change.

For fans who have nothing to do with this mentality or didn’t abuse because of the perks, it is tiring to see efforts of someone else being ruined, to fix this and it is also tiring while waiting for the report to be processed.

And it is even :thinking::thinking::thinking: when an abuser becomes or is still moderator or manager. Not only there is no sanction, they could see this appointment as motivating to continue in their misconduct! It is the world upside down.

3 Likes

People, who need their QC status renewed, are very creative in order to get the missing subs, be it single letters, numbers or dashes. I once found someone, who added the italics behind the completed sub and overwrote many subs in this way. You don’t change the already existing subtitle and this is only visible, if the episodes are open and you look directly into the subs. A clever kind of cheating.

And I’m really happy that all new channels are designated channels now, so “wildsubbers” have no access anymore. Some time ago I found someone, who wrote German subtitles but added them for a totally different and rare language. This subber sneaked in via the segmenter and got the full QC in this way. Unfortunately this subber did this for a drama, where I was the German moderator and I was very surprised to find someone with German subs, who wasn’t part of the team. :wink:

4 Likes

When I spotted an abuser a few months ago Viki deleted all her subs on the channel and switched back to the correct sub. On top of that Viki told me they would check all her work and make sure all the bad subs are gone. I already saw she did the same thing in 3 channels of which 2 where mine. The problem with this user is that she doesn’t abuse all the time but I think she does it when her QC status is about to be renewed or to cheat during subatrons.

3 Likes

Yes but other than reverting her changes and bad subs, did they ban her or something? Oh well, I suppose she would come in with another account, but in this case she should work her way up to 3000 subs - guess in what way?

3 Likes

This user I had this issue with has been on Viki for years and I worked with her quite a few times over the years without any issues, I even advised her to other people when they where looking for a mod in a certain language. So I was very surprised when I spotted her abuse all of a sudden and I simply discovered it because I checked her profile one day. Her last contributions are from late 2019.

3 Likes

For the most part, I assume the CMs of very old projects are not around anymore. The cardinal errors I showed above we just discovered that evening.

This project was a tough cookie from the get go. First, once Viki uploaded new videos and reuploaded the subs, subs were not synced. I asked Viki to fix it and they did. Then we found out that there is a weird error, where one sub in our language repeats itself in three different spots in one episode and nobody wrote that sub in the Subtitle Editor. We have no idea where it came from! So I opened another ticket on Viki Support. It seems it’s not a common error, so it might take a while :sweat: :grimacing:

With some help from cgwm, we found out that the project had been translated well at first, but had intruders overwriting the original subs and inputting segments.

The drama had not previously been translated to our language. We just have a fondness for the good old stuff.

And the only way to prevent that is to start punishing the abuse, rather than giving triple, quadruple etc. chances. (I’m all for second chances, though :blush:)

Exactly what I meant. While the user gets the contributions removed, they are not really being sanctioned in any personal way and may continue contributing as if they are a newbie, or at least as if nothing happened at all using their original profile.

2 Likes

Although Viki may not do much I will never add this person to my team again. A few years ago someone abused quite a bit on my channel and this year she PMed me to be added. I thought she had left as I didn’t see her around since she was caught. My first reaction was: Do you think I’m stupid enough to add you to my team again?! I simply deleted the PM and ignored it.

4 Likes

Can the team still continue subtitling this drama though?

For old channels, if given the possibility, it’s best to check the quality of the project first before engaging oneself in a project as a moderator or subtitler.
Like taking a look in the segging and English subbing at the beginning, in the middle and at the end. When it’s not complete in my language, it could be because there is a problem with the channel’s segments or English subs.

I think it’s terrible to create an account, do something bad, be warned or Viki did something and just create another account to repeat the same thing over again.
The abuser persists which shows he doesn’t even feel remorse or regret or repenting.

It’s selfish to destroy the work of someone else or to put random stuff behind the back of the team or the back of someone who gives you a chance, and all this to get the Vikipass just for oneself… like 500 or 3,000 correct contributions are not the moon to get and how many days do we have to renew?

There is no excuse even if we try hard to look for one! I try to understand, but I can’t.

2 Likes

I’d like to question this statement. If people already understand English, why will they watch Hindi subs then?
Since the subs are made in Hindi, the songs should be translated to Hindi as well.

2 Likes

I agree with Kaori… I personally think that translating English lyrics to Hindi takes away a lot from the original song. First of all it is being translated from Korean to English and changes flavor and then if you translate it into Hindi, it loses something more. Songs use lyrical language and words and I personally rather listen to music and read lyrics in English to get the meaning than translate it and ruin it… I usually don’t like the English translation of Hindi songs either. But again, this is just personal opinion. If subber wants to translate it in Hindi, absolutely they should go for it.

3 Likes

I get your point. If the subber feels like it, s/he should go for the translation. In my case, I study creative writing, so I have lots of knowledge on rhymes and rhythms. I’ll want to give Hindi a go with translations. If you want to have somebody to translate the songs beautifully, I’ll always help you. :blush:

1 Like

I would get this if it were a song originally in Hindi, but since English is a translation (often a poor one) why be faithful to it?
Plus there must really be some people, even in India, who can’t read English?
I had a discussion with a Greek volunteer, some time ago. I was telling her “oh, most Greeks who like k-drama can understand English, right?” She said “Wrong! I got my mother to watch k-drama with me and she can’t read English at all”. And some people who supposedly “know” it from school, still don’t know it that well to read quickly and fully understand all the idioms and such. So they miss much of the dialogue and of its meaning.

3 Likes

We have viewers who first watch a drama in English, then in Croatian or Serbian. They say the drama sounds more personal when in their mother language, it has a completely different feel to it. Wouldn’t the same apply to songs?

2 Likes

Irene, I thought of translating lyrics but I am not sure how good I can be therefore I just never translated them. Maybe I will try for some show :slight_smile:

1 Like