Comment section in many dramas losing readers?

Likely this isn’t noticed as much if you stream from your i-Phone or Smart TV, but since I watch via my laptop a lot, I’ve been noticing fewer people leaving comments under each episode. For instance, the one I’m watching now is a C-drama “The Love Knot”. The only “comments” I find here & lately under so many other drama episodes, seem to be complaints about the lack of subtitles in Portuguese or Spanish. It’s sad that this takes up so much space and keeps those interested in actual episode comments from having to keep scrolling down to find some. In episode 14 I actually counted 75 requests for portuguese, which meant I had to keep loading the page 3 times to find anything worth reading. I can see now why people just don’t bother. The comments section has now become the “Request Page”. It would be so nice, as well as helpful, if somehow Viki could set up a seperate ‘SUBTITLE PLEASE’ page or section where everyone could post their requests for different dramas. That way the subbers would know which dramas have the biggest needs in language and then work on those requests first? Although likely subtitling doesn’t work that way–because each drama has a dedicated team working on it. Actually, (blue-sky thinking here) it would be kinda cool if there were a few teams of independent “Roving Subtitlers” that could swoop into the dramas that are lagging behind a bit and back them up with much-needed extra help. Then again—I know NOTHING about the intricacies of how it all gets done. I was just hoping there’s be a way that this section wouldn’t get so cluttered with requests instead of actual comments. Apologies for any toes I’ve stepped on and a BIG THANK YOU to those subtitlers who are in the trenches every spare minute they have to do this amazing work!

7 Likes

I don’t even pay much attention to those anymore. As a subber and segmenter I usually get annoyed when reading the comment sections, which is often full of subtitles requests or people complaining that it’s taking too long. Luckily, there are also a few gems in there: honest opinions about the episodes or someone cheering on the teams and their hard work.

I don’t know if a separate page will work…obviously, people are posting where they want to post. And I’m not sure a “Roving Subbers” team would work either. There are so many subbers who are only active for certain period of time or only work on the most popular dramas, that all the burden may fall on the teams that are working on the dramas. What the watchers need is…patience.

It really is a pity. Comments can be a fun way to see if other people got the same thing from the episode as you have. But, I did become a volunteer myself after seeing some of the Subs please request, so maybe that’s a tiny positive. If everyone gave a helping hand, that would be super nice, but that’s being very very optimistic :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You wouldn’t need a special page, just a button to press if you want subtitles (and this would be ONLY so that the impatient people feel like they’ve actually done something) and maybe a window to choose which language.

Otherwise, whining about subs anywhere, in any section on Viki should be completely prohibited.

8 Likes

I hardly read the comment sections anymore. Only when I’m waiting for an episode to be up so I can seg and sometimes when I just want to see how the process goes.

If you don’t like to scroll through all the sub beggars I suggest you flag them. That’s the only thing we can do at this point. Viki staff mostly doesn’t check comment sections so they don’t delete anything until users flag stuff because then they get notified.

I mostly go for the “Spam” or “Targeted harassment” as it looks like spam if there are many of those messages and it’s kind of an harassment in a way.

A separate page won’t work because that only gives them more space to complain since they also took over the review section from the very beginning.

5 Likes

Good tip. I’ll flag them at least. If we all did that, then maybe something would change somewhere. Easy to do while watching a drama. Getting so tired of it. I used to enjoy everyone’s thoughts about production, plot & actors. I think they’ve given up.

4 Likes

I also downvote and flag as "inappropriate content"all reviews that appear before the show has aired, or only after a couple of episodes. I do this for all the drama’s I’m in.

4 Likes

@charlott_408
I use the spam and/or block feature, whichever is most appropriate, so I don’t have to view those complaints. People treat the comments page like a drive up window at a fast food place.

3 Likes

I have been thinking of blocking them but there are to many and that really doesn’t solve the problem, it only makes it invisible for some. I’m more like if people are flagged enough for doing this Viki might finally step up and do something like giving them a warning. But then people need to flag more because per comment it needs a few flags before Viki gets notified.

4 Likes

Yes! Let’s start a flag crusade. I feel there’s only a small bunch of us doing this regularly.

6 Likes

I’ve been flagging and blocking the obnoxious commenters and will continue to do so. Hope it will help.

6 Likes

I agree, they need more patience. As a Portuguese Moderator/Subber I try to answer some of them explaining the subtitling process (dramas on air mostly) when it’s a drama with episodes uploaded all at once I try to explain we’ll need time to do it. But it seems they don’t read it (or just don’t care), since they keep commenting the same thing over and over again. :disappointed:

1 Like

I believe there is also a group who knows perfectly fine how things work on Viki as they have been around for years but just post those messages to annoy us or think we will work faster if they complain. But in reality it only makes me want to slow down but that would be unfair for the people who give us their support.

Before Viki was around there where subgroups who had rules like “every complaint = 1 hour delay” or “If we see a complaint there will be a 24 hour delay”. Viki is too huge to come up with such rules though.

3 Likes

Then the portuguese subs would take ages! :joy:

In my opinion, such comments are demotivating the subbers. When I started here, there were more portuguese subbers than now, of course it can be only life happening but some of them could have given up because of the pressure they felt.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can’t imagine the pressure. I often see complaints for not only English subs, but also Spanish, Portugese and French subs. “Smaller” languages subbers don’t seem to have the sub-mob after them yet. :sweat:

It would be very interesting to see what people would do if the subs just didn’t appear. But then again…people would probably just complain. Look at ‘Oh my General’… and that’s a drama we’re still working on :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. Love the button idea. AND a ban on sub-whining!!!

3 Likes

Just went on flagging spree as I was annoyed reading all the whining after a long day at work and segging a bit on Rich Man and Secretary Kim right away.

6 Likes

I know one thing, some of those comments are not good to some. if anyone wants to comment on any drama b it good or bad, give us other people a heads up if it is really worth watching, I do try to do that when I leave a comment. but there are some that maybe need to be looked at before putting on those dramas. Yes I definitely like those comments, giving me a heads up, but when they start cutting down actors & actresses thats not good. Hey its their job, they do what they are told to do, right? not their fault

they come across bad? as far as I know I did a bad comment on one drama, one of my favorite actors, I was soooo upset of what he portrayed. no I won’t mention the drama,. but when we see stuff like this, its their job to give us enjoyment,pleasure, and whatverelse goes with it. I don’t think we should knock down their attempt in this.

as for flagging, good idea, but for right reasons.

1 Like

What ticks me off is that this has now expanded into the timed comments (and makes them look really stupid months later when the subs are there) AND into the reviews! Viki reviews are a joke, since you can have 900 comments, many of which are about subbing, and only one or two episodes have shown.

4 Likes

I don’t see the comment section at all anymore. I only see the word Comments but nothing below it and also no link to click on. Is there a way to see it?

Look up this post
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360002647688