Comment section in many dramas losing readers?

Thank you. I can now see them again.

Except in the dramas where Iā€™m a moderator. You wonā€™t find any there. Zap, zap, zap!

6 Likes

Good work Irmar. Beyond the call of duty. Would love to hear from someone somewhere in the Executive Suite of Viki Directors who can actually do something systemwide. Ahh but waitā€¦itā€™s simply ā€˜blueskyā€™ thinking. Iā€™m still voting down subtitle ā€˜demandsā€™ in the comments and review sections. Such a wasteā€¦

2 Likes

I think everyone who posts here, should file an issue or complain directly to viki via help center. Maybe one day they will get around to do something about this issue, 'cause it is annoying. Wherever people can write (comments, review, timed comments) they complain. The biggest problem for comment section might be, that itā€™s outside of viki. So viki might have a limited influence on that content.

related Viki Ideas
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360000018228-Official-statement-about-subtitles-for-vikipass-subscribers
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360000016547-Regulate-Reviews-and-Ratings

3 Likes

Thatā€™s wonderful @irmar, can you clone yourself for assistance on other channels? Just kidding. Thank you for your efforts.

3 Likes

Youā€™re kidding but there has been an instanceā€¦ Once, sophie2you, knowing that I do this on the dramas Iā€™m in, added me as ā€œTimed Comments Moderatorā€ for a drama where I wasnā€™t in the team (Strong woman Do Book Soon). That is a new job designation, LOL! I did this there, but it was pretty tiring/boring. So when she wanted me to do the same for Dear Sister or whatever it was called, a very long drama which I also wasnā€™t even watching, I declined, and I decided not to do it again if I am not otherwise involved with the project.

4 Likes

Can you delete timed comments as a language mod as well or do you need to have a different function? :slight_smile:

1 Like

1of Viki help centerā€™s articles explains what a moderator does including:

• moderate timed comments

So any moderator + CM can delete timed comments

2 Likes

Right! I mustā€™ve forgotten :cold_sweat::flushed:

Lately, I admit I just leave all the sub begging on the final timed comments. After all, you can spend all your time removing them for one thing, and never get the drama itself DONEā€¦

For another, well, doesnā€™t it look rather silly for the same person to DEMAND SUBS for 60 episodes?

Really more a statement about them than the teamā€¦when others see it and the whole thing is done. :slight_smile:

I turn them OFF when I view anything anyway - most have nothing constructive OR even funny to say sadly. Itā€™s like the Episode comment sections. Pretty much nothing about the drama. A bummer for a Fan. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know right? Sometimes I canā€™t resist turning it back on when something important seems to be happening in the drama, but then usually people asked ā€˜wait, what happened? Iā€™m confusedā€™ and other comments that donā€™t add anything, but are rather distractingā€¦

The ā€˜subs pleaseā€™ ones do look rather silly when the drama is subbed 100%

1 Like

Exactly. Thatā€™s why I do my last pass after the series is completely subbed.
Of course I also delete in-comment fights where people insult each other, swear words, f-words and f-exclamations, inappropriate stuff like ā€œshe wants the Dā€, spoilers, people insulting the person who spoiled, as well as geopolitical location comments (New York July 2nd, 23:40).
If mods and editors took the time to keep timed comments clean on their dramas, they would be such a fun experience. Sometimes I find myself laughing uncontrollably with some things the commenters come up with. And I feel very lonely in other websites where there are no timed comments.

3 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m a Dutch mod, so I usually finish way way later than the English or faster language teams. By the time I get to the timed comments itā€™s months later :slight_smile: But it also gives me a chance to delete the comments of people who spoil since theyā€™ve watched the drama a couple of timesā€¦

Thanks for the list of things you delete. Iā€™ll keep it in mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait, why your language has something to do with the timed comments?

It doesnā€™t. By the time Iā€™m done I watch the drama to spot mistakes.
And I have the timed comments on from time to time, so I see them :slight_smile:
So, I take a look at the timed comments and will remove the ā€˜sub pleaseā€™ timed comments when I see them
(when Iā€™m done with the drama).
Thatā€™s why I asked if a language mod could also help with the timed comments, just to be sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any moderator can zap any timed comment - I usually only zap when someone writes a complaint to me that something was really offensive. Then when Iā€™m in there if I see any about speed of subbing those get zapped too. But usually I turn the timed comments off because seeing a complaint about speed of subbing (in any language) annoys me to death. I mean I want to say, do you want to take back all the money we got paid to do this?

4 Likes

Thatā€™s because you usually have many projects and your time is valuable for doing the actual editing - itā€™s a waste to also do this job. But one of the General Editors of each drama can be assigned to do this, or they could take turns. It doesnā€™t take that long. As soon as the subs are 100% this kind of comment stops, so thatā€™s a good time to delete them all.

Personally, as I said, I like having timed comments on all the time, so it irks me when Iā€™m watching as a viewer.
Thatā€™s why I do a first pass before watching the drama (okay, some of the comments spoil it for me, but I donā€™t mind spoilers at all), so that I can watch it comfortably. And then another one when itā€™s at 100%. If I canā€™t be bothered to go through them all (in some dramas they are A LOT!) I just do a search with CTRL+ F putting certain keywords like ā€œsubā€, ā€œlegendasā€ ā€œ%ā€ and variations of F-words including acronyms.

4 Likes

I hadnā€™t realized all the comments were nagging about subs but I had noticed that there was rarely anything in English. And since there was no way to filter to the English messages, I quit trying to read/comment under the episodes. Which is sad because I used to like the comment section, especially if I had a question about something that happened in that particular episode. Iā€™ll join the flagging brigade!

6 Likes

Ha, ha, haā€¦I noticed in one of the dramas I was watching that the same person whined for subs in every episode. I clicked on her avatar and it was the ONLY kind of comments she left in EVERY drama!! Yeah, I donā€™t watch with them on anymore eitherā€¦language getting pretty raunchy too.

2 Likes

People like that are just attention seeking. Theyā€™ve probably done it all their life. Probably gave all the teachers and many students headaches to be around. Also the same kind of person who hits the elevator/lift button 20 times while waiting for the elevator. You just have to roll your eyes and move on. If Viki doesnā€™t address it or take it seriously nothing will change. I get that we can flag - Iā€™m happy that exists but honestly it would not be to this level if Viki curtailed it in the first place. If the teacher lets the class run riot then itā€™s really down to the teacher whoā€™s ultimately in charge. As individual viewers itā€™s kind of hard to do much. Also those kind of people who spam (what they totally know are inappropriate comments, lol) are just immature and once they see others doing it THEY want some attention. So they all start. Poor little babies. :expressionless:

1 Like