Viki

Comparison between NX and Viki subs

Oops, I thought you lived in Italy! :slight_smile: Ah, online crochet lessons. Have fun! :smile:

hey thats good to know, maybe you can teach me some stitches!

This is what we’ve been doing in the last few weeks.

I do crochet, but I lack patience and technique to come up with such beautiful motives. Amazing job. You are an artist indeed. :heart_eyes:

It’s not my pattern! It’s Chrysalis throw by Jen Tyler.
But enough of that, I don’t want to hijack the thread, I hate it when other people do it.
We have another thread for this sort of stuff and we talk about crochet there as well!

(For context: although I myself don’t have experience subbing, I do have a lot of experience translating.)

I also have mixed feelings about which one is better, Viki or Netflix.

I think that Viki subs excel at conveying the nuances of the culture better than Netflix subs do, but I sometimes find myself just rushing through wordy sentences without really paying attention to what they say.
I think that Viki subs, in an attempt to preserve so much of the original grammar structure as possible, make the translation more difficult to understand which makes all the hard work put into researching and translating go to waste since viewers can’t keep up with the captions.

On the other hand, I think that Netflix should improve how they translate honorifics and other language/culture-specific vocabulary and grammar.

Just my opinion, though.

I fully agree. There is a fine balance between fidelity and comprehensibility. Native subbers have a tendency to lean too much towards their native language, and editors enable them and often don’t correct them decisively enough - not to mention that in English groups feedback is virtually non-existent and, because of too many projects, very few if any subbers go back to see the corrections after the editing. Therefore they keep making the same mistake over and over, for years. Once I tried giving feedback - in a very polite and diplomatic way - and the subber felt hurt and offended and left the team.

just a question here, but what about that dubbing I read so much about? why do they do that?

They use dubbing so that people don’t have to bother reading subs. Reading skills were not the best at some point, in the 1930s and '40s in places like Italy, France etc. So it was easier for quasi-illiterate people or barely literate people to hear the voices rather than read subtitles. And of course to make them feel more comfortable, less estranged, to make them able to identify with the characters more. This has continued until now. In Greece the only films and TV-shows that are dubbed are cartoons for children up to the age of 7 (they do learn to read at 5 or 6, but their speed is still slow). That’s why Greeks are pretty good with English, they understand it well and most people also can make themselves understood decently, even if it is with a heavy accent. Contrary to the Italians and the French. (Although here at Viki I’ve met two French ladies with excellent command of the English language, they must be the exception that confirms the rule)

In Germany, there was not a high rate of illiteracy and yet everything was dubbed. Here, it’s a huge industry and a great field of work for actors with wonderful voices. (So we also don’t have to film every foreign film again. :wink: )
Since the launch of streaming services, it’s perhaps losing some of its importance. Nevertheless, our children can speak English well. Besides learning it at school, they also learn it through gaming, for example.

I think you mean “dubbed”? :thinking:
It’s the same in The Netherlands.

Yes, sorry, I corrected it.

most English blockbusters here in India are dubbed so they release it in theatres mostly in four languages: English, Hindi, Tamil and (sometimes)Telegu so everyone can watch

well thanks y’all for my lwesson for the day! to me might be a good idea on some, but I think it takes away from the drama if that makes sense, yeah I watched, wu the dewmon killer, its dubbed here, I didn’t have to sit and watch, I did some things while it was on, but still did take away from the drama

As a Brazilian, I’ve grown up watching dubbed shows. My first real contact with subbed movies and tv shows was when I was 13 or 14. I remember how shocked I was when I heard Mel Gibson’s actual voice for the first time.

My father has an increasing loss of sight, so he only watches TV if the audio is in Portuguese. Even with his big TV, he says his eyes hurt if he tries to read subtitles for very long.

Dubbing is a complex task, both to a translator and the actors. It demands lots of training and study. Not all actors are fit to dub, as not every actor can perform on screen and in theatre. Unfortunately, dubbing is underrated, and I’d say even more than subbing lately.

yes, I think dubbing is a very interesting art too…since I grew up watching a few dubbed cartoons and then animated movies, I’ve always been interested in it as an art. I love the way you have to look at the character, really understand the character and then decide on a voice you want to give herr. The voice you give a character is going to give life to that character. Despicable Me and Hotel Transylvania are two franchises with really good voice actors, since every character is different and weird in their own ways.
I’ve done voice acting for Sunday School plays before, but I’d love to actually study it!

No need to apologize …I’m with you vivi_1485. Tossing in my two cents here because I find the Netflix translators offer up Korean cuture on an americanized platter, translating it in ‘equivalencies’. Very hard to measure. I mean ‘get lost’ is “F*** off?” I think many of us came to Viki long ago, (2015 for me) to see the unique dramas and culture that Korea offer…not just to have it ‘spoon-fed’ to us in simple words that… ‘will “be a little easier” for the new Drama fans.’ Awhile back on Netflix there were huge gaps in subbing for many dramas that actually changed the meaning and tone of some scenes slightly. And if you get enough of those scenes in one drama, the subber actually becomes a content ‘editor’ which interferes with the original intent of the writer/director for their piece. Using “Dude” for “Oppa” for example, shifts the tone away from korean culture and might make it ‘easier’ to follow for some, but then that’s making an assumption that the majority of viewers who want to watch foreign movies and maybe learn something at the same time aren’t smart enough to ‘get it’. If my 13yr old grand-daughter could view Strongwoman Bo Dong Soo and Goblin with me, then watch BOF on her own soon after, I’d say it doesn’t put off that many new k-drama viewers. But finally, the biggest difference between Netflix and Viki for me, is the lack of side brackets on Netflix explaining some of the historical background to a place or action…or even mentioning a korean meme that’s neen embedded in the action or dialogue. When I watched “Room #9”, a character said veteran actress Kim Hae Sook looked like someone he knew, ‘like a"thief’ and our wonderful subber added that the reference was to her role in a well-known movie called “The Thieves”, which I watched right after. This beloved korean drama actress is also a living part of korean culture. And that’s why I much much prefer Viki.