Contributing with google translate/Deepl

Well, the situation is very simple.

In the case of the project where I am manager, I have to thank the editors very much. They do the hard work.

In the case of projects where I am co-moderator, I share all the tasks with the second moderator. For example, only for 3 out of the 7 projects as co-moderator, I am also editor.

As for the projects where I am only a subtitler, the moderators for whom I translate have the same style as me, they only translate with a team. So I get parts to translate at a certain interval and I can manage them well.

Of course, my work depends a lot on the people I have in my team. I have all the active volunteers centralized in a document with comments about the quality of their translations, so I donā€™t have to worry too much until I start editing projects. Also, these comments help me to invite them where I know they will do well, and will not hinder my editing.

And not least, time. I invest it all here, so this helps me a lot. For a lot of people time is a big problem, but for now, I have plenty of time. I hope to continue to have as much time and enjoy everything that happens on this platform. :blush:

10 Likes

I remember when I first started at Viki, the Romanian community had complaints about the quality of the subs. This was before any subbing academies, and only a few Romanian mods were capable enough to create high-quality subs. Although there has always been an exceptionally high demand for Romanian subs. Iā€™m really happy things have turned around for the better :blush:

I find recording my milestones inspiring and conducive to further work. I compete with myself to be better with each milestone.

Also, Iā€™m just coming back from editing where I was fast since I mostly corrected punctuation. Because itā€™s important. And it hurts my eyes if I donā€™t correct it :smirk:

10 Likes

I also support dimghro and his incredible work for the Romanian audience!

As he supported me (without knowing it was me) when I was considered as horrible and lousy CM on another discussion topic.

At that time I chose not to respond. I didnā€™t want to waste my time and my energy on that. I donā€™t have to prove to others what I am worth. But I know perfectly well that Iā€™m doing my best. Those who know me and work with me know it too!

So donā€™t worry and do your best! :heart:

10 Likes

As long as you donā€™t have any regrets of the long amount of time you spent in here, and the things you could have done, but didnā€™t do them on your free time because you were always doing something here, then is all good.

If you donā€™t feel you are denying yourself from anything in your life because of the time spend only at this site, and working here is what fulfills and makes you happy, then nothing is lost. It would never be wasted time.

I believe @hyyuns feels that you are doing so much work here, that thereā€™s very little left he/she can do because you are doing most of it.

I am glad you can keep quality and quantity on the same level, but I also hope you or anyone that spend every free minute you have/they here doing non paid volunteer work, are not denying yourself of doing other fun stuff, and enjoying life to the fullest.

Whatever makes you happy; is all that really matters. Never having regrets when we leave this earth, makes all the sense in the world. Stay healthy and happy.

6 Likes

What you said perfectly sums up what I think and how I see things about life. One life is not enough to fully discover all that this world has to offer, so we must always do what gives us satisfaction and joy. Today we volunteer on Viki, tomorrow maybe we sign up for a dance class, music, a sports activity, etc. The world is changing and so are we humans.

8 Likes

I donā€™t think its a big Problem
like at least he is translating a lot in a day , same for me , i spend all my day with transalting because it is enjoing for me
of course there is a many people that are translating to a certain language , not their main language or second language so they donā€™t know all the words meaning in this language
for example me translate from English to Arabic but ther is words i dont know the meaning of it so i sometimes use google translate for some help :slight_smile:
But of course you [hyyuns] compareaing to the rest who always use the translator are the best .
lastly you all guys doing great.

2 Likes

I so wish I had written this instead. I donā€™t mind taking flak in order to expose the fakers and hustlers behind the subpar subs that characterise a lot of the rushed dramas that Viki puts out. But it hurts me deeply when someone else is being treated so poorly.

All I can tell you is: It is what it is.
Personally, Iā€™ve been told to move on and find another service. I have. I just keep using Discussions because Iā€™ve made a lot of friends here. :grin:

4 Likes

I may have accused without proof but why as a moderator of a language you say that since I have doubts about you?

So before you use translation software, but for fear of getting into trouble you change that?

I have other things that I would not say here. But if you want me to be the bad guy no problem.

But when I say that I have sources of evidence, itā€™s true. And I donā€™t want to put you on trial here, this is a forum.

Anyway, it shows that there is a problem.
ā€˜If you use a translation software, make sure you erase them.ā€™ preuve

You can insult me, itā€™s not a problem.

I just said there was a problem and even people from his team told me privately. I wonā€™t say a name.

If you want to criticize me afterwards, thatā€™s fine. Thatā€™s my character. I say the things that people think.

Even if I come across as stupid on the forums. But what I hate is injustice. When I see people working hard and some people using software. Itā€™s not fair to them.

As I said before, I will stop talking here.

To all the people who use translation software itā€™s not normal. I hope all these people will accept the consequences one day. It may take months or years.

Good day to all of you!

PS: As for the subtitles per hour, thatā€™s another debate. And I apologize in advance it was not the theme of the discussion.

But it doesnā€™t prevent that some people write spam very fast. And you donā€™t have to tell me that I donā€™t have any proof. I already have access to the log with hours and minutes. If I have a problem I will not talk on the forums but directly to the support.

If I have hurt people I apologize again because I did not have to attack directly on the forum.

See youā€¦

3 Likes

Looks like someone in my community gave you a document of mine. I see absolutely nothing wrong with what you posted here. Please read my point of view about those who use such programs, and then attack me.

The fact that I donā€™t ban people who use such programs from projects proves nothing. As long as they consciously use such programs, i.e. do not copy-paste, pay attention to the action of the scene and adapt according to the rules of grammar and writing in Romanian, I do not see what the problem is. Maybe thatā€™s how they think they are more efficient or more confident in what they do. Every community has such people. I choose not to push them aside, but to try to tell them how things should be done, so that we provide good quality.

Please read the second sentence again. Those who have been translating with me for a long time know that I have never forbidden the use of such programs, as long as what I find in the editor is correct/decent. Why do you think I edit projects?

The fact that a person from my community gave you a document of mine, doesnā€™t mean anything. I have worked with almost the whole community and I still work with most of the volunteers. What does that tell you? Yes, there are people in my community who are upset about the extent of my involvement and the fact that I donā€™t accept them on my teams. But why do I do this? Isnā€™t it because they have serious problems that canā€™t even be corrected by a translation program? Before knowing English, I want volunteers to know Romanian very well. For a foreign language we have so many solutions online, but for the native language we have to learn at school everything necessary to know it very well. How about I put a list here with all those who have problems?

I congratulate you for your effort, but unfortunately it cannot prove anything about the quality offered in my native language. Tip: the quality of the translations is not checked with someone from Viki, as there are all sorts of disputes, but with the help of someone who is a native speaker of the language and who is not connected to Viki. That is if we want to be fair.

In conclusion, I want to assure you that I am in no way discouraged by what you are doing. I will continue to carry out my work as I have done so far.

PS: Regarding the number of contributions, make sure you differentiate between editing and translation.

11 Likes

For me if I donā€™t speak a language very well for example English. And I speak Italian very well. Iā€™m not going to go on viki to translate.

Afterwards everyone thinks as he wants.

I think you have to be good in both languages. I speak Chinese and French very well. For English I have a good level.

I am a Chinese moderator on some drama. If the person speaks very good English but not too much Chinese. I wonā€™t accept him why? Because this person can use subtitles from other website. As a moderator I have to be careful about this kind of problem.
If I have someone who uses google translation in my team. Iā€™m not going to BAN them.But I will take away the permissions to translate.

Everyone works the way they want. Thatā€™s how I work. You are a beginner in a language, sorry, but I canā€™t have you on my team.

Maybe Iā€™m too strict in my work but thatā€™s the way I am.

For the rest I apologize for attacking you here. As I said before I shouldnā€™t have said that on a forum. But know that if someone is playing with the system with translation software and that goes fast. I will report it. It could be anyone.

I donā€™t like people who ā€œcheatā€.

Now I wonā€™t say anything about anyone on the forums? I have learned my lesson. But if I have any doubts about people whether itā€™s in my team or not. If I have enough evidence I will report it to viki.

This is my last message on this post.

Sorry again for attacking you on the forum.

1 Like

I think we should really focus on those cases, where itā€™s painfully obvious that someone uses gt, atacking someone just because they maybe use it, maybe not, who knows, is a bit of a wasted effort and energy

9 Likes

Because you said I recently modified the document and added that rule, out of fear (honestly, I donā€™t know who told you this) and to demonstrate that I have nothing to hide, I leave below a printscreen of an older project document from my early days as a moderator. After the printscreen, I will leave that fragment in Romanian, so that whoever sees this topic can translate it into their language. This way, I make sure that I donā€™t leave the impression that I am altering the translation in any way.

Aveti mare grija cu Google Translate. Daca traducerea voastra se bazeaza doar pe acesta, va rog frumos sa va opriti din tradus. Nu sunt impotriva folosirii lui, dar sub nicio forma nu accept copy-paste. Trebuie sa adaptati la modul de vorbire in romana, precum si la scena din serial (genul personajelor, adresare formala/informala, timpul vorbirii etc.). Se vede cu ochiul liber, cand se face copy-paste si pentru asta imi rezev dreptul sa nu mai colaboram. La editare nu vreau sa refac traduceri. Nu acesta este obiectivul principal al editarii.

It is true that for some time I removed this rule from the document, since those who participated in the translation were not subject to it and I did not feel the need to specify it. Now, being a moderator/editor for many more projects, the number of those who are part of the team has increased considerably, as has the way of translating. Therefore, I found it necessary to reintroduce this mention.

Just because you are unhappy with the fact that you canā€™t take a top spot, doesnā€™t mean you have the right to attack me publicly, without even demonstrating the quality I offer. I have not and will not be interested in the process by which someone translates, as long as what is in the editor meets my requirements.

If you really understand the concept of community, you should also understand that the main thing we have to do is to understand each other, to help each other, to give each other a chance, to learn from each other. Thatā€™s why I wonā€™t turn anyone down as long as what they leave behind is common sense. Iā€™m here to grow the community, not divide, diminish or destroy it.

8 Likes

As a member of the Romanian community, I have nothing but praise for dimghro. We always translate or moderate together and I really like his way of doing things. He gets involved in a lot of projects and spends most of his time here on Viki, so of course the number of contributions will be high. I personally donā€™t see any problem with that, we are proud of every Romanian translator thatā€™s on the leaderboard and we are also grateful for each and every contribution (since all of us are doing what we can). At the end of the day, the most important thing is that the projects are well translated in a decent amount of time, and he never failed to do that. We should be grateful towards the volunteers that are working hard and are doing a good job, but instead, you are here complaining publicly with unfounded argumentsā€¦ As for the Romanian volunteer that disclosed our teamā€™s document without any approval for such a causeā€¦ you could have just talked in private if you had any problem.

12 Likes

Without taking it to the personal level (I have no idea about dimghroā€™s acitivity on Viki), I understand where the original poster is coming from. I think many translators are frustrated (including myself) because Viki rewards quantity above quality. If someone is into quantity and statistics, the world is their oyster here. Thatā€™s fine. But Viki is offering nothing for slower translators who like to perfect their work. There is no alternative, just sheer numbers. There could be a system alongside the number ranking for best quality translation as well. It is perhaps not complete paranoia to suspect that there is a reason why Viki does not promote this: they donā€™t care about quality. For me, this is painful to see. And there ARE people who machine translate and create completely grotesque texts, with no regard to what is actually going on in that scene: they do not even adjust it to formal/informal language. Itā€™s just a google translate dump. We have all seen this, Iā€™m sure. I donā€™t begrudge anyone their position on the charts, Iā€™m just sad to see that those who do not do this are not rewarded at all.

5 Likes

The problem is: who would be judging that? It might not be fair, if the volunteers themselves do that (since sometimes people have conflicts), it might not be accurate, if the viewers do that (since they donā€™t know the english/original language and canā€™t judge the accuracy).

1 Like

Potential vindictive downvoting could be prevented by only allowing positive feedback. Viewers can maybe vote with a :+1: or a :heart:. I donā€™t know what would work but surely Viki could come up with something.

1 Like

I think this would be a good system for appointing CMs! All applications would be anonymous.

1 Like

We have no way of knowing if the viewers even have the skills to judge the subtitles.
And they could still ā€œdownvoteā€ their enemy by upvoting everyone but them.

5 Likes