Contributors who want to demotivate other contributors on purpose

http://nssacademy.weebly.com/channel-roles-guide.html

x) for you~

2 Likes

I bet some people find me a ā€˜rudeā€™ person or a bad CM because I have turned people down or forget to reply to PMā€™s I get but in 99% itā€™s not on purpose. Iā€™m just quite busy and sometimes get so many PMā€™s and I mostly donā€™t reply to PMā€™s that are written in a language I donā€™t know. Sometimes I did reply in my native language to see if they got the hint but quite a few didnā€™t and responded in their native language again. Why should I be bothered to use Google Translate to be able to read a PM while the sender isnā€™t bothered to make sure I can read it. I even state in my profile I only understand Dutch or English.
Also I donā€™t think itā€™s a good idea to add a segger with hardly any or no experience at all to a popular on air Kdrama. Itā€™s not a playground and itā€™s for their own good because it can be quite stressful and there are people waiting to sub.

And I donā€™t think Viki can work without teams. Ok maybe for some older projects itā€™s okay that every random person comes by to help but popular on air stuff and specially the VikiPass exclusivesā€¦no way. I donā€™t see anything bad about teams, keeps things organized. Itā€™s an other story if you donā€™t give others a chance to join. But you also donā€™t need letā€™s say 50+ seggers and 20+ English mods for a 16 ep Kdrama. That might lead to people not showing up eventually because they donā€™t stand a chance against so many and get frustrated not being able to work on the project in the end.

4 Likes

Thanks sophie for this guide !
I read it a long time ago when I was discovering nssa and totally forgot about it !

I think itā€™s general guidelines to help.
Particular cases are not here, because itā€™s particular xd

ā€œIII. MODERATORS
Overall, Moderators must be current and active on Viki. They should be willing to provide quality contributions to the community and be a vital player with their teammates. It is important for Moderators to be regularly available for the entire run of a series.ā€

I underline the last sentence ā€œregularly availableā€ to who ? To their team and to potential subtitlers. To be available means to communicate, to listen to them (chat, PM) and to answer them ?

ā€œA. ENGLISH AND ALL LANGUAGE MODERATORS
FILLING IN FOR THE CM
They must have good problem solving skills and be respectful in messages and comments.ā€

I think this is supposed to be all the time and the writter didnā€™t mean only when filling in for the cm ?

ā€œB. OTHER LANGUAGE MODERATORS
[ā€¦] so Other Language Moderators must be completely proficient in both English and their moderating language. The moderators optimally are outgoing to be able to recruit and hold competent subtitlers, and considerate when responding to PMs or comments.
The moderator ideally should be someone who has extensive experience subtitling in the language they will moderate, be well acquainted with other subtitlers in the same language, and be familiar with the subtitling process in order to recognize problem situationsā€

I donā€™t know if it said that moderators have to recruit people, I donā€™t know. For me, yes. And if people ask to be part of the team, they should answer to potential subbers even many weeks of delay. What does ā€œbe well acquainted to other subtitlers in the same languageā€ mean ?

ā€œVERIFYING QUALITY
Furthermore, Other Language Moderators should inform the English Editors if they spot typos or any other mistakes in the English subtitles. It is crucial that Moderators cooperate with the rest of the team to ensure the best possible work.ā€

I didnā€™t know that we could feedback about English errors to English Editors : O
Cooperation needs commmunication, I think.

All of this apply to the cm too, right ?

Hey dudie !

I think that if Pm you mostly received are not understandable, itā€™s normal you canā€™t answer xd I think if people donā€™t make the effort to talk to you in English and look into your profileā€¦ And English is just the universal language when you talk to a CM. So, itā€™s just a waste of time for them to write and for you to read.
When somebody types any message, he makes sure that the recipient will understand it, otherwise whatā€™s the point of communicating if the recipient doesnā€™t understand what the other part wanted to say ? xd Like Iā€™m going in a foreign country and I begin to talk in French in the street, who is going to understand me ? But if I talk in English, maybeā€¦
I think that some people know that you canā€™t talk in their language and just want to bother you.

The best ones are when they ask to be part of a project.
Aside from East of Eden I have no projects as a chief or channel moderator. It is even better when he/she doesnā€™t specify what show.

How am I supposed to know??
I didnā€™t respond because I couldnā€™t respond.
I am guilty of not responding on time tooā€¦ but I erno sometimes it seems not that urgent. I get back to him her in different ways.

2 Likes

:blush: Oops, sorry it was not a personal answer that I wrote.
I clicked on Reply button to say thank you for the guide. After this part, the rest is not something that I ask to someone personally xd Sorry about that, I should have just put @ instead of clicking on Reply. I didnā€™t expect your reply to my questions xd sorry !
Thanks for your answer !

1 Like

Absolutely agree with @irmar regarding segmenting. There are many who think segmenting is easy and they can do it after watching a video. After you are trained, you realize that you are wrong. Segmenting takes thought and training helps you to have the best segments possible.

Segments are the foundation and having bad and sometimes horrible segments doesnā€™t help the process. When you watch you can see all these flashes from the mini-gaps. Mini-gaps is the most prevalent error that Iā€™ve found on bad segments on my channels. It looks horrible on screen and ruins the viewing experience.

So yeah, I do agree that segmenters should be trained. I went through NSSA and had a very enjoyable time. The senseis were great and even though I wanted to quit at a point, they encouraged me. Iā€™m glad I went through it. It takes time but it is worth it.

12 Likes

I was like receiving a mail saying that someone answered to this topic, vaguely familiar to me because I have bad memory and I was like, ā€œContributors who want to demeotivate other contributors on purposeā€? Where did I participate in this? That rings a bell.
And I remembered while waking up slowly that this post was created for one of my friend who has received mean messages from other members. This topic was meant to cheer her up by showing her that other people who also received the same treatment get over it and itā€™s encouraging to read posts like that. I read what people sent her and I was just feeling really bad for my friend who wanted to give up.

So yes, youā€™re totally right that when repetitive weird behaviour is not only against you but also against your friends or others, it becomes common whereas it shouldnā€™t be considered as common.

I think that what surprised me when arriving here is that I believed in an utopia. I thought that since people were volunteers, they were all kind humans or they have a good personnality: willing to help like that = willing to help other members too, but itā€™s not this wonderland.
I assumed things: ā€œunderstanding and unityā€, itā€™s just as you said. I thought there would be but acutally, itā€™s clash of clan if I had to tell honestly.
Maybe people donā€™t feel the same way because they didnā€™t receive such treatment. But others who did receive such might agree.

About segments, I still think the same way as beforeā€¦ and so I agree with you.
I hoped that my vision would change after a few months, after knwoing a little better segmentation, after talking with others but my opinion still remains the same.
If thereā€™s no one to correct after them and to keep them on track, if they didnā€™t follow the full course, I donā€™t know what will happen to the subtitles.
I fall into 1 movie and 1 drama in where some segments were missing whereas there were hard subs on both of them. I wanted to watch the movie, for the few occasions I watch something on Viki, I canā€™t watch it as a viewer and not as a volunteer because of the segments, the subtitles are incomplete or shifted.
As a simple watcher, I canā€™t watch! And I was like, ā€œWho did this???ā€ while just shutting down my TV and throwing my remote on the sofa. And it was subtitled in so many languages, why can it happen?

For the other drama, I canā€™t subtitle in French because the segmentation is inappropriateā€¦

So not only, it gives a bad vibe to viewers because the work is poorly done and it was to impossible to watch, I tried to watch it really but really, no I couldnā€™t watch it even if I tried.
And it slows down subtitling process because we have to wait that segments are corrected.

If thereā€™s someone to correct them, no problem with me but if it remains like that, who can watch it? Who can subtitle it?
Whatā€™s the use of doing so if itā€™s unwatchable? If some subtitles disappear, if they appear really not on time like you donā€™t understand who said thisā€¦
This is something Iā€™m not making, I saw this.
So even though itā€™s better to have someone comes in a while to help, just think about others behind afterwards who have to cope with the work previously doneā€¦ I couldnā€™t watch it, itā€™s still stuck on my mind xd I even refuse after to look for something else to watch because I was bothered by that.

What I mean is if you canā€™t answer right now to a pm, you can always answer later.
But itā€™s not the fact that people canā€™t answer to pm that bothered my friend, itā€™s more like mean messages from other volunteers, attempts to hurt people and wanting them to give up. And this is what I think is the worrying part and not unanswered pm.
So even though there are volunteers, itā€™s the real world with good people and people with bad personnality.
If she canā€™t answer you, you can always ask to someone else? Or to post here on discussions.
But about bad heaviour, sure, I donā€™t know who is the most competent except Viki = the referee in case of there are arguments among volunteers.

I donā€™t know why power is so important for some people on a simple website where what we ā€œonly doā€ is subtitling and segmenting. If it was like politics or big money, I would understand such kind of behaviour because what is at stake is big, but on Viki, I donā€™t understand because I see it like a hobby and not something that should drive me to such endaviour or to fight against others. Why should I be competitive over such a thing? Life is not enough hard like that that we have to fight for everything even volunteeringā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t see where it is coming. And on a website with subs done by fans, you are to meet dramas without subs. If there are not enough volunteers, thatā€™s it. They try to attract volunteering.
If now you want that Viki recruits some translators to help: I think they already did on some dramas.
But what would be the reaction of other volunteers? For me, no problem.
I think that they were looking for translators in their website but I donā€™t remember it well but I saw it not a long time ago. Maybe, the wages negociation went bad, who knows? Itā€™s not us who pay wages.
If you know these facts that you stated, they already know it too. This is no big surprise for them I think.

I think that contrary to other websites like Netflix or DF etc, the difference is that on Netflix and DF, you are sure to find subttiles (but on Netflix, I donā€™t find subtitles in every language, even in my language or in English, sometimes I have to watch with the voice only and what about others who canā€™t hear). But who is complaining to Netflix about that? Who is complaining to DF that they donā€™t have European subtitles? xdxdxd I donā€™t complain to Netflix that I donā€™t find the movies that I want to watch or the dramas that I wanted to watchā€¦ Where is the submitting channel requesting form on Netflix or on DF?
The difference is that on these websites they put contents with at least 1 language subtitles (English or your language for Netflix) whereas Viki put contents whether it has/ will have subtitles or not. So with no translator employee (even with them or not), between removing contents that are left by volunteers without subtitles or letting it hoping that some day one volunteer found it and decides to work on it, I still prefer option 2.
Itā€™s also because that there are volunteers on the picture that they let some channels there in case of a volunteer comes later.
Whereas on other websites, they wouldnā€™t care about that. No subtitles? Ok, remove.
They have different way of managing things on their website and even their model is different. They donā€™t have us on board.

In my opinion, itā€™s because Viki has us on the ship that we can participate in some things and let them know our feedbacks. Otherwise our opinions wouldnā€™t be taken into account at all. We still have a different ā€œclient relationshipā€ with Viki than with Netflix etcā€¦
Do I participate on Netflix to say your design on TV is really not convenient? As if they care about it.

I donā€™t really know these people because I didnā€™t talk with them much but nice :wink:
Yes, there are always good people somewhere :slight_smile:

Your grandma : Karma xd
Parents education is really important. Parents greatly impact their children.
I think that itā€™s not only being afraid of bad karma that someone will do good but itā€™s also because itā€™s in his personnality and that we wouldnā€™t like to receive the same treatment that others gave us.

Okay, I talk too much I have to stop :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, itā€™s maybe too lateā€¦

A similar thing happened to me years ago. I was translating a Chinese drama and the moderator began to send me a lot of PMs criticizing my translations. I had forgotten to put some letters in uppercase and my punctuation was wrong. So I checked and I had forgotten to put TWO letters in uppercase and my punctuation was correct in my opinion.
The worse thing was the way she was talking to me. Very condescending and rude.
I was receiving PMs every time I had translated a part so I just stopped contributing on this drama. I know that I wasnā€™t the only one who left, she drove almost everyone away.
After that, I decided to avoid her, which is very frustrating when you want to subtitle a drama that you like but you canā€™t because you donā€™t get along well with the moderator.
Fortunately for me, this moderator is now inactive for several years now and I have never faced such a situation again.

By the way, one thing shocked me on Viki recently. I wanted to apply as a segmenter on a channel but there was a message saying something like: ā€œgone with the shirt team members have priority.ā€ This totally discouraged me from working with them.
Some people donā€™t want to work with people they donā€™t know or donā€™t want to welcome new Vikians because they might have extra work. But that goes clearly against the rules. If people begin to do this kind of things, where this will end?
Viki is supposed to be an open community; we should welcome new people and help them to improve. I understand the restrictions for NSSA or Seg101 segmenters but that should be the only one restriction.
Anyway, I hope the Viki community will go on to grow.

2 Likes

Hi Angelight!

If you mean to pay for subbed videos? Then you should suggest to viki to change its business plan and company philosophy.

But if you pay for seggers/subbers you will have to reduce the number of languages and at times you still might not have enough subbers. I donā€™t see how viki could change this other than becoming juat another DF, except for the stream in Europe DF does not ā€¦

Could you make your point clearer ā€¦ Or in this case do you only care about your own needs and other languages donā€™t bother you?

I donā€™t get the point why you always complain, that you are paying for watching the videos and from you point of view that includes the subtitles. But viki has terms where it says itā€™s about the video quality and sometimes the access of the videos ā€¦

So you only argue about a wish?
Or you argue because you canā€™t accept the terms?
I am confused. Please enlighten me, because every time you get to this point in discussions. I wonder why you bring this point up again, and what reason is there to put it under this thread about ā€œnot so nice contributorsā€. No contributor and no victim of such a contributor can change a thing about viki terms.

1 Like

Hello!

Did you tell this to her? Or to other subtitlers in your team ? Or to someone?
I think if we encounter this kind of situation, that someone has ill intentions towards his own team (this is really incredible to even say this, like hello, we should work together, not against each otherā€¦) if we donā€™t say anything, nobody will know it and so nobody will intervene for you. Even if thereā€™s no answer from the referee aka Viki, there are always other volunteers in the community who can help. So I donā€™t think that keeping silent is a good solution. One, because itā€™s better to write your feelings down than keep it in a bottle, two because people will be aware that it can happen and maybe take measures, three because you can find support.

Phew, thankfully you donā€™t meet her again.

I know how it isā€¦ Same here! But you know what? Iā€™m still alive, happy with what I have and with other nice members, Iā€™m still volunteering.
So who cares about people who donā€™t give a pineapple about me? I wonā€™t care for them neither. I go my own path, so are they.

Did you apply so? :confused:
Actually, I donā€™t understand this ā€œhave priorityā€. What do they mean by that? Because when you arrive on a channel with an official team, only the team can work on it, no? So what does that mean? Because if that means this channel is completed by the official teamā€¦ Yes it is as usual.
I think this message can bring misunderstanding. Because for me, I understand it like "only the official team can work on it, implying that abusers are forbidden but you can be a member of the team if you propose yourself, not that itā€™s forbidden to everyone but forbidden especially to abusers or to people who donā€™t know rules, itā€™s better for them to ask to enter the team so people give them directions, nssa guides etcā€¦) => I donā€™t know, I understand it like that. Maybe I misinterpret it too.

Did you talk in person with one person of the team? If you didnā€™t, maybe give it a try to reach one of their member by pm and get to know them better :slight_smile:
From what Iā€™ve seen, there are people who seem not nice everywhere. Cā€™est la vie even on Viki.
I donā€™t know everyone but those whom I know because I talked with them more than once are really nice in the team.
I think that one behaviour from one person shouldnā€™t define the behaviour from everyone in the team, no? Quite unfair for everyone on the team to judge them on 1 sentence said by someone without talking with them. I think that can hurt some people by judging them so quickly.
Plus, the team is always changing except some core members => But this means that itā€™s not a closed team.
Just contact one member, if no one answers you, contact another one etcā€¦ How can you know without trying it?

So I donā€™t know what your image is about this team after this first impression but from an insider point of view, they were never mean to me. It must be silly but when I finish segmenting or another segmenter finishes to segment a part, we, segmenters, just update the post, and for me, I see it like an encouragement and a thank you :slight_smile:
But even discussing about this team with other subtitlers, Iā€™ve never heard bad comments about them and on the contrary, we all agree with my friends that this team is nice.

How to answer thisā€¦ I know this but if you are inclined to say that GWTS is like that, I have to say no, itā€™s not true because the team is changing everytime so they donā€™t have a protectionist politics.
And this team in general (I canā€™t talk about everyone on this team because I donā€™t know everyone enough) but my global opinion is that this team is far far away from the other volunteers that are mean to others or who play the exclusive card with others.

The problem is who is willing to improve out there? I had the same discussion on another topic, funny xd that we were not teachers etcā€¦
But for which language are you talking about when you say that people should welcome new people and help them to improve? Because itā€™s not the same thing for each language and which role?
Because the answers are really different in each case.

You know, like segmenting asks foundation and basis, subtitling asks the same in your native language + English, maybe not perfect but at least, something people can rely on.
Someone who wants to improve his subtitling would know that it comes with improving his knowledge in his native language + English. And for that, he doesnā€™t need Viki to do this, on the internet, he can check for everything, he can open an old book about grammar etcā€¦ There are many ways to improve oneself and it began with motivating oneself to do the research first.
Without efforts, someone canā€™t expect to have something better than someone who did some efforts.

Yes, I did. And she told me something like, I am the moderator so you have to obey to my rules. I thought that she had taken her role way too seriously. That was years ago, I didnā€™t even know where to find the Help Center and there was no CM at this time. I just didnā€™t want to bother anymore with it so I left the team.

The channel was new and the team was not complete. They had just started to recruit members. Maybe I misunderstood something but since I didnā€™t apply, I can not be 100% sure. [quote=ā€œpiranna, post:33, topic:12476ā€]
I think that one behaviour from one person shouldnā€™t define the behaviour from everyone in the team, no?
[/quote]
Sure, I totally agree.

When I said ā€œhelp them to improveā€, I was talking about:
-answering to their questions
-explaining how Viki works (unfortunately, Viki doesnā€™t know how to do it itself)
-giving links to documents that can help them
-being tolerant with othersā€™ mistakes

I wasnā€™t saying that the moderator or team members should spent a lot of time teaching them a language. It all depends on their desire to improve their skills.

I want to share my own experience. I had just graduated as a Ninja and that very moment, I was told that whenever I want to work with the Gone with the Shirt Team I am welcome to do so, and immediately offered a choice of two dramas they were planning to start. Which was so very nice. I never did work with them because they mainly work on Chinese dramas, while I most look out for Korean ones 1) because I like them more 2) because I am a Korean learner looking for practice 3) you are always better when you know the language even a little bit. But this kind invitation warmed my heart and brought a smile on my face. So itā€™s not true that they donā€™t welcome newcomers to the team.
Then I want to share with you what I usually do as a moderator.
I welcome new, unexperienced people (or people I donā€™t know, who are a risk) mostly on old dramas, not on-air ones. Because on-air dramas mean time restrictions, and you want to be able to work quickly, not spend a lot of time editing and coaching.
My style is to provide extensive feedback, sending p.m. with their mistakes, explaining why it is a mistake and how to make it better, in the hope of having to correct less and less in the future. It is very time consuming because every time I have to copy paste the English subtitle, their own wrong translation, the explanations and then the possible good translation. If there are about 20 such mistakes, it means editing a single episode part can take ages. Iā€™m willing to do it in order to build a good team where members have the basics. But itā€™s not possible to do it too much when itā€™s an on-air drama.
In my opinion, it is generally a good idea for new people to ask to work on older dramas (even this yearā€™s, provided they are not on-air), where there is no big rush.

3 Likes

I asked to join as a segmenter. Did you ask to join? In one show, snail it was wildly popular that really one segger subbed almost all 21 eps. Each part is only 7 min or so long.

She was super fast and I segged one part and apparently too long. Maybe this is what they meant? We are full not absolutely but highly likely saturated?

1 Like

No, I didnā€™t ask to join them because like I said, I was just shocked to see that message. It was probably written by only one person so I donā€™t judge the whole team. I might have been accepted into the team. Who knows? Iā€™m just saying that putting this kind of message is not nice because it makes other people feel unwelcome.

1 Like

I donā€™t like it much, either, but I understand the benefit of working with somebody familiar. Everybody knows the rules and the habits, there is no need of wasting time to introduce and streamline. Segments finish faster, subtitles finish faster, old partners are past subtleties so editing is done faster.

Iā€™m not happy with this kind of delegation decision, but when I see the suuuuuubzzzzz zombies invade the comments, I feel sympathetic.

1 Like

On one hand, maybe itā€™s better for new members to practice a bit on older dramas, although thereā€™s a nice way to say so. Thereā€™s no need to discourage them altogether.

On the other hand, there are some new members who are only interested (and insist) in subbing the on-air drama of Oppa and donā€™t care to do a good job, so it wouldnā€™t do to include them in a team.

4 Likes

I wrote directly to the CM and head of GWTS Serinite78 the other is Kalamendarez (but she doesnā€™t answer pms well or timely). So I wrote to Serinite78.

Defendant is my first channel, and co-CM and I are quite open to getting newbies for all teams actually. We have the reasonable expectation that the non-English subtitles will be finished, and even trained a new mod!

I only personally ask around just to 1. Check if that person is an abuser 2. if there is anything on that person? If anyone has worked with them.

I am frankly flattered at the amount of interest our drama is generating :slight_smile:

1 Like