Deadly Dimples in Dramaland

Does H-Mart carry the halabeoji version?

(Wikipedia)

2 Likes

What is he thinking? Where are his suspenders?

4 Likes

Now, now, now…
Be nice. At least the dude is wearing pants even though they are the ‘high rise’ and ‘high water’ version. LOL!

3 Likes

I forgot about suspenders! :joy::rofl::face_with_hand_over_mouth::joy: He definitely could use those! :laughing::joy::joy::rofl:

1 Like

Nothing like feeling secure!

https://onlinelaw.wustl.edu/blog/legal-english-belt-and-suspenders/

Below: living dangerously. No belt.

Pinterest

2 Likes

Let’s call it Deadly Drama in Dimple Land. If you have not yet snacked your way through Military Prosecutor Doberman . . . WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU??? Compelling does not begin to describe it.

Below I have written some thoughts about possible “better” English subs than some of the ones that are currently up.

Mapping languages onto each other is always tricky, and for those who are bi-lingual in English and a “non-Western” language, or for those who (unlike like me) did super-well in English on a college or grad level, the current subs may quite well embody exactly what the characters are saying in Korean.

But for Viki loyalists (“Chungseong!”) whose vocabulary has still not grown much beyond “Gimbap! Gimbap! Gimbap!” . . . there are times when I feel as if I need an adult novel adapted for my inner child.

For those who have not yet seen this most intense courtroom drama (my fave kind of video entertainment, with police procedurals taking second place), I now place evidence of dialog challenges in a sealed envelope and ask you to leave the courtroom and remain sequestered . . . unless you are like me and always read the end of a story first to see if you want to start it at all.

Summary

I found myself fascinated as usual by English usage at various points in the English subs.

Translation purists often insist that, without straight translation that gives viewers a “true” flavor of the original language, translators/subtitlers are showin disrespect to that culture.

However, if the translations/subtitles do not make sense in terms of the entire story from start to finish, people (like me) who often watch newly posted episodes without any subs, and get the general idea of what’s going on thanks to flashbacks and recaps and good video editing . . .

Once the English subs are up, we end up saying, as I did earlier today (April 27, 2022, 4:00 PM my time), saying, “Wait, that doesn’t make sense.”

M’lud, I offer into evidence:

14:14 is the start of a showdown between Cha Wu In and No Hwa Young.

No Hwa Young says, “With this [a red wig], you did a lot of things around, Cha Wu In.” A more typical way of saying that in English might have been “With this, you went around doing a lot of things, Cha Wu In” or “Cha Wu In, you went around doing a lot of things in this.”

At 14:21, No Hwa Young says, “He [Cha Wu In’s father] also relentlessly threatened me only with his principle.”

From my perspective, it would have made more sense to see and read, “He, too, threatened me relentlessly with only his sense of justice.” Or perhaps she could have said, “With only his sense of justice, he threatened me relentlessly.”

At 14:32, Cha Wu In says, “I believe my father would’ve tried to stop you from being out of control.” She could have also said, in more typical English fashion, “I know my father would have tried to stop you from losing control.”

At 14:41, No Hwa Young says, “I don’t have any relationship with your father.” Of course she didn’t. It would have made more sense to me if the translation in English had read, “I didn’t have any relationship with your father,” “I didn’t have any connection to your father,” or perhaps (this makes the most sense to me coming from a heartless monster), “I didn’t have any interest in your father.” Only in his company and money.

23:10 starts a whiny argument between Lee Jae Sik and Heo Kang, and Lee Jae Sik says in the English sub: “Why does he come out as a witness on the Prosecutor’s side?”

It would have been more typical to say in English: “Why is he coming out as a witness for the prosecution?” or even: “What is he doing testifying as a witness for the prosecution?”

At 23:29, Lee Jae Sik says: “You punk! How dare you stab me from my back!” More typical English usage might have been, “You punk! How dare you stab me in the back?” or “You punk! How dare you stab me from behind?”

Despite just a few odd bits of what I think of as atypical English usage, the overall sub work on Military Prosecutor Doberman was simple, clear, and super-speedy and conveyed very well both the heartbreak and the humor as well as the surprisingly thoughtful, spiritual, and philosophical aspects of the drama.

And as usual, it’s the secondary characters I want to see in spin-offs. My assumption with those characters is that the writers use them as ways to express bits of dialog that don’t work for the main characters but are too good to waste. So they are often more interesting and fun than the main characters.

1 Like

Yes, I watch raw footage. IMHO, you can tell which dramas are really top-notch by how well they hold together without subs.

It’s like the days of silent movies. If the staging and editing and flow of the drama work well with few or no verbal clues, then the dialog is an added layer of richness.

Of course, in the history of film and video, it has taken “Asianese” actors, actors, directors, and screenwriters a long time to be “seen” and “heard” properly . . . and it’s still going on.

(Giphy)

But the point is that, if people can “get” the essence of a drama without words, the words are a big plus. If people can’t get a drama without the words . . . then even the best subbers will have a hard time.

Now here is an idea for a sure-fire Viki rom-com winner: an aspiring young actress has to babysit a vain yet super-hunky silent film star who gets thrown into the 21st century.

Boy, talk about high-maintenance relationships. History seems to indicate that back in the day, celebrities made mincemeat out of ordinary rich people.

1 Like

@kdrama2020ali, wow, did I get overwhelmed with dimples recently. Night before last, I stayed up waaay too late watching this gem . . .

They are both such good actors. And have such dimples. And the movie, though obvs intensely Korean in its use of bodily fluid (i.e., blood) special effects, is really (to my way of thinking) very uplifting and hopeful.

Anyone who has not seen this movie MUST put it at the top of the list ASAP.

(Giphy website)

2 Likes

I have watched it twice - YES - VERY GOOD

1 Like

Over on Facebook, @anthonyparker80_342 and his K-drama group of fanbois and fangurlz keep coming up with hysterical memes. I am, I guess, cross-posting, and some social media platforms frown on that kind of sharing, but isn’t it an entirely appropriate meme for Deadly Dimples?

It of course refers to a K-drama on (ahem) another streaming platform, but dimples is dimples.

Am I right?

5 Likes

I’m reviving this thread because my personal king of deadly dimples is finally returning to the screen after completing his military service. I sure hope I’ll be able to watch his new drama somewhere.
Numbers

But also, I recently discovered that Seunghyub of N.Flying has a dimple that I have failed to notice in the years I have been following this group. He’s the reason that I remembered this thread existed. :grin:
Seunghyub dimple

4 Likes

Great to have him back!
Maybe we will see him here on Viki.

1 Like

Just wanted to say that, over the past few months, as I have watched dramas on both Viki and Net-Flix, I have noticed that it is uncommon to find actors and actresses with NO dimples whatsoever.

I don’t know what genetic and historical circumstances came together to create so many people with dimples, but there is certainly a concentration of them in Korea.

3 Likes

Whatever power it was, it just means that I was destined to be drawn to Kdramas.

Which reminds me, I was rewatching “Summer Strike” and remembered that the FL has cute dimples and needs to be added to the dimple club (I don’t think she’s already a member).

Kim Seol Hyun

And while we’re at it, the entire family in “Please Be My Family” (at least the dad and the two insanely adorable children) have sweet dimples. No matter that it happens to be a Cdrama.

Xie Bin Bin

Huang Bo Si

Zhang Yan Bo (can’t find a photo that shows off his dimple very well)

1 Like

Those kids have killer dimples!

2 Likes

wheres my favorite guy with killer dimples, or did his scandel get him kicked out??

HIM!!!

Oh, he’s definitely here and always welcome! Some of the best dimples in Kdrama world. :heart_eyes: Some of us just finished (re)watching Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha with its overload of dimples between several characters.

1 Like

oh dear another to find & catch up, not NF, did find it somewhere else.

1 Like

heres more dimples

how about these dimples???

American History Journey ·

Follow

dospeStnroM2 rY1a9dth 51utme109 59y0Pst1c90u40:aa9htg35tai6e ·

Unveiling the Many Faces of Red Skelton! 🎭 Did you know that Red Skelton was a master of characters? From the lovable hobo Freddy to the bumbling Sheriff Deadeye, he brought a colorful cast to life. Ready to explore his iconic personas? Don’t forget to click the last photo for a visual journey into his comedic world! 📸

image I am not going to put all of his pictures on here
I think you can see them on that link I put on here.

1 Like

Just finished Tomorrow on Gnat-flinks. Rowoon has great dimples. Lee Soo Hyuk has great dimples. In fact EVERYBODY has great dimples. What is it about history that has created a country where so many people have dimples?

2 Likes