Don't you hate it when subtitlers just put some random mark to reach 100%?

There are people who don’t know what to write as a subtitle and instead of leaving the segment alone, they put
or little dots or such, just to make people believe that a show is fully subtitled when it’s not.
I recently came across an old Korean movie, called “The Wedding Day”. It is a classic 1956 South Korean black-and-white film directed by Lee Byung Il. The film, which won the Comedy Award at the Asian Film Festival, holds the distinction of being the first Korean movie to garner an award at an overseas film festival. By receiving the recognition, the film did much to help bolster the confidence of the fledgling Korean film industry. A bit old-fashioned, but sweet.
http://www.viki.com/videos/217882v
It said it’s subtitled at 84%. Of course that’s not even near 100%, but still I said let’s watch it, I’ve never seen a Korean film of that era, and surely it won’t be missing much. But there were whole episodes without even one subtitle.
Out of curiosity, I go into Subtitle Editor, and I see all these break marks! It made me mad. And of course one cannot delete other people’s “subtitles” so there was nothing I could do about it!

And another one, from the '60s, Kinship. https://www.viki.com/videos/217885v-kinship. It is at 69%.
I wish some kind Korean knowing soul could go and fill in the missing pieces in these classic movies…

3 Likes

Oh no you can. If it is wrong you can delete it. But you don’t know any Korean right?
Which eps?

East of Eden bothered me so much (I love this show for OST and cinematography circa 2007) I asked for AL mod so I could delete those segments.

1 Like

Have you talked to the user yet?

You know what? I’m going to fix it and ask friends for help. Like the first seg. It has traditional chinese.

1 Like

I have encountered a subtitle box that wrote out of a motion for example: “hiding”. Perhaps there was a segment error and the subber just filled that space instead of leaving it empty or communicating it to the editor… lol this was funny, something truly new… another newcomer writing subtitles is seriously subbing the english subs where it states “No subtitles yet” so she translates that in another language thinking that this is the way you sub :laughing:

3 Likes

Or the time Spanish subtitlers start to subtitle in Spanish in the Korean because it was unlocked.
or the time that a subtitler who didn’t know any Korean subtitles in English by copying from another site.

Yes. Abusers.
@irmar I am sorry the language there is really archaic so… I am unable to fill. @.@

3 Likes

It’s hard to imagine someone would really go to another site to copy subs, isn’t that ellaborate work, but I do worry that not to be named might just do/copy ours… :frowning:

that must not be named does. Haven’t checked recently though.

We caught 4 id’s on the 9+ kdramas I’ve done so far… So people do.

1 Like

Absolutely!

What infuriates me even more is people who don’t really know Korean say they “know Korean” and change the subtitles I or other people worked so hard on into the wrong translation. Even for simple Korean sentences! What’s even worse is that person I’m thinking about is supposed to be the “translation editor”.

Lucky thing I went back to check on my subs and went through the others too cause the viewers would get the completely wrong dialogue because that person kept changing it to the wrong meaning.

5 Likes

Sophie,
we cannot delete another person’s subtitles, you know that. We can only write over them. (Unless we are the moderator). So I cannot delete the break marks unless I put something over it. Which I cannot, as my Korean is still at baby stage. And anyway, if even experienced Koreans like you say that it’s too archaic, so I think I will never be at a stage where I can translate it, LOL!

What about Kinship? Is it also archaic? This takes place in the 20th century, it’s not a sageuk, so it should be easier? Or not? I’d love to watch that one.
https://www.viki.com/videos/217885v-kinship

1 Like

No we can. It is abuse. You need to tell the channel moderator to give you proper permission. Also the segmenting is horrid.

1 Like

Ah I’m nostalgic right now.
At the first beta of the site I remember there being a button on subs that made their status incomplete so that people could translate what they did understood but mark it, that way someone else knew to go over that one (also it didn’t count toward the % of the video)
I really think they should bring that back.

4 Likes

They need to bring that button back. I hate finding incompletes. So annoying!

1 Like

I hate it when it happens… I worked hard to get my QC and others take the easy route with cheating. Really Viki should take more severe action against cheaters because they ruin the community. All they do is give the person a warning if you are lucky but instead they should suspend the accounts or atleast remove all contibutions, QC status and have them banned for a certain amount of time like at least a month.

They also should not pull the “I didn’t know” card because how can a person in their right mind think it’s okay to cheat? And also I don’t buy the “my account was hacked”. So typical some people pull that card when they got caught.

5 Likes

A Chinese drama that I work on in my free time has the same problem :frowning: A lot of the boxes are just full of random code and I guess whoever did it had their account deleted because there’s not name beside the subs. It makes it hard for me to figure out how much work I have left for each section.

3 Likes

I think there should also be a button that says “I’m not sure of this” or something so that editors know if a specific line needs immediate attention. Arabic is my native language, but having lived abroad since I was really young, I’m much more comfortable communicating in a dialect as opposed to standard Arabic, so sometimes I worry that certain subs sound a little iffy.

2 Likes

I’d love to have an “I’m not sure” button.
Even if I know what the words mean, often I’m not sure I’m conveying the cultural context and the plot hints correctly.

2 Likes

I’m not a native speaker of Japanese, and when subtitling Japanese videos, I sometimes come to a halt for a part at 98% or so because there are one or two segments I just don’t get. Sometimes it’s the essential meaning, and at other times it might be a single word that I can’t pick up. When that happens, I leave the segment blank and identify it in the team discussion with an explanation of what I’m not getting. Without fail, a native speaker subbing in that channel will address those missing segments. That seems to be the best way to handle it - certainly better than filling it with random punctuation or gibberish!

Of course, sometimes the issue is that the segment shouldn’t be there at all as there’s no text or speech to translate. Again, simply indicate in the team discussion that the segment should be deleted instead of entering punctuation or such to fill the part to 100%.

Cheaters are cheaters, but some new subbers may not be aware of the need to use the team discussion for these situations.

4 Likes

I just saw a newcomer writing few subs in the project finder in bulk editor ??
I would never use it since I need to see the video also because of the German honorifics you can’t guess it just from English word by word translating.
Anyway, I pmed her some info, hopefully she’ll get there :wink:
? When is a bulk editor good to use?

1 Like

I want that “I’m not sure” button! Sometimes (like now) I come across phrases, where I’d like to sub it in a way that keeps true to the cultural context without making it confusing for the viewers, and I spend a long time ruminating over the choice of words. It’d be so much easier if I could just flag it.

2 Likes