Dramas with Expiring Licenses :(

Feel free to copy, saves typing. I checked all tittles I don’t know yesterday and it seems not everything is a Kdrama, there is also a Japanese movie.

2 Likes

I’m still surprised by the news.

I’m not that surprised by the expiring date of the licenses, but all this days I’ve been waiting something like “official information” about the certain date and the specific content… (By the way, thanks for spreading the word @Dudie and @auroratasya! I received your notifications!)

I think this also affects some movies… Not to long ago I searched one and, as you may guess, I couldn’t find it.

As many of you, I’m also a volunteer and I know how frustrating this situation can be.

Hope we can have more information about this from the staff.

2 Likes

Thank You @Dudie & @auroratasya for sending the followers the messages.
I’m a channel manager in Boarding I will spread the news in that channel,
Thank You!
Hopefully viki notices our effort and puts double the amount for renewing the licenses.

1 Like

My main concerns are the sageuks. They are classics and shows most all of us have watched. I have watched Jewel in the Palace twice. Some in the comments have said as many as 8 times. And now that it has been updated it is really an excellent presentation. I don’t see how it could be any better. Some of the other sageuks on the list need some work but I doubt I will do it even if they do somehow keep licenses for them.

I find it strange that they made this big announcement that all on the list were going away but when questioned said some we still being negotiated. Why didn’t they announce it that way. OR, is it that these on the list are already considered “gone” and they are still negotiating others?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

@brovo Thanks for the info. I hope we will hear good news soon. It would be great if the Viki team doesn’t only send it to CM’s though. I don’t follow all Kdrama listed and so I won’t get notifications if the CM sends one and I wonder if all CM’s are still active on Viki since some channels are old.

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

No wonder, I couldn’t watch Chuno anymore. I am at ep. 7 yesterday.

@jubjaeng, I’m not sure why you are having difficulty with Chuno. I have just tried the channel and all is working well. Give it another try and see. Maybe it was a temporary thing. If still having trouble, contact the help centre.

Thank you for the information.
I think it would better for future communications with the channel managers and community if we get to know full facts about licenses. I didn’t even know licenses expire. Also if in future if you can put a link for all channels and their license dates and expiration’s. Just as a reference. In viki we have links for publications, jobs, blog, store, volunteer finder and project finder, and now I think it is crucial that viki puts a license section.

4 Likes

It is not available in my region. It said. :frowning: (by the way, I am in USA)

I’m sorry to hear that. I’m also in the USA but maybe because I’m a QC I have access. This is an example of why the region information should be displayed along with the genre, country, rating etc. by Viki. Viewers don’t know what regions a drama is licensed for. They only find out it isn’t available in their region when they try to view it. Currently the region information is passed on to the CMs to add to the community page, but it wasn’t added to the page in this case. Maybe the CM is inactive by now since work on this channel was done a long time ago.

2 Likes

I tried it with a non-QC account and received the "not available message. Apparently it is still licensed for somewhere, but not the USA. I had no problem to see it as a QC.

The show why it is good to be QC. Contribute! If you don’t have 2nd language skills you can still learn to segment, jubjaeng.

2 Likes

In the past, I tried some subbing but I gave up and be a paid member instead.

VikiPass only gives add free and HD, you still have the region restriction.
When you contribute and become a QC you hardly have license restriction, unless the content owner decides it’s not for QC’s either, and you have free VikiPass :blush:

Of course you need to remain contributing otherwise your QC status will expire.

2 Likes

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly on the putting the regions that are available on the page. There is nothing more disappointing than hearing great things about a show and getting really excited to watch it, only to find out it is not available on your region. I really hope Viki takes the suggestions in this thread to heart.

I wonder what happened to the money that was invested in Viki? It does not seem to be going anywhere of value and the countless volunteers are taken advantage of. The model needs to be re-examined.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

Hmmm… what? I don’t get it at all, where did the money that they learned from the ‘‘VIKI PASS’’ went? There’s a lot of questions and the LACK OF COMMUNICATION is not helping either.

I heard today that there have been other shows that have just disappeared lately. Is that the case?