Dramas with Expiring Licenses :(

Yes : god’s quiz season 1 (no more available in France),
movies : forbidden quest - insadong scandal - let’s play, dharma - Maybe (aka lizard and rabbit) - My wife is a gangster3 - heaven’s soldiers - The Righteous Thief -

It’s indeed a shame that this information is not shared widely. I understand that every license needs to expire someday, but it’s a shame how all the hard work from the volunteers goes and will go into oblivion like that.

2 Likes

There are other shows disappearing. I just noticed actually there is a channel but episodes are all gone. :frowning:

I guess I need to start watching bridal mask.

I had a anime I was working on about 2 years ago. . . It was with the old timer and I spent countless hours to segmenting and fixing someone else’s mistakes. One day I showed up to work on it … and it was gone. I was soooo heartbroken, no notice nothing… just gone.
I felt sick and I actually walked away for about 6 months. But I really enjoy segmenting, connecting with other drama lovers, and contributing to my favorite shows. So I came back and started segmenting again, knowing that the work may only be temporary.
It changed my relationship with segmenting and this hobby. . . I only commit as much time as I feel comfortable losing.

One point of note. . . I hope viki is somehow archiving this data. I know that there was a team repairing Kim Sam Soon (one of my all time favs). I would feel better about this loss knowing that their work is being saved for later.

4 Likes

One of the Viki people, I forget who now, told me that the work was saved on their servers and wold be available if the license was ever renewed. I don’t know of any case where that happened though.

1 Like

I once saved a drama i think it was city hunter But my pc crashed and it crashed with it. I had the credits and everything saved. I liked it because it saved the credits because it made everyone who seen it grateful for the people who worked in it.

Yes that’s right. Now that you said that, I remember an Indian movie I managed last year. When the license expired, it’s gone from Viki. But then when Viki decided to take on board lots of Indian movies few months ago, I found out that the movie I used to manage is one of them. So I asked the staff if I could manage it again, and then I told them that the movie was translated into several languages before the license was expire.
It turned out that Viki still has the sub files of all the languages so I didn’t have to ask people to re-sub it again.
I do need to edit the segments though, it’s all over the place. Sigh.

2 Likes

Any updates on this?

1 Like

Yes, I would like to know any updates or if Viki is addressing the licenses for any of these dramas? I haven’t heard anything am surprised that Viki has not release some type of info for fans. I know the community managers did an excellent job of informing people. Also, I was interested in Nice Guy/Innocent Man since I had been seeing the lead actor in Running Man and it is not available due to licensing now. I respect and am thankful to all the subbers/segmenters/managers on these dramas. I will say this is the reason why I still have to go to some of Viki’s competition to view certain dramas. I am still waiting for Three Musketeers to be available in my region. Oh, sorry didn’t mean to make this a long post. Updates? Thanks again, to all those who worked hard on the dramas mentioned and all on Viki.

1 Like

About Nice Guy
http://www.viki.com/tv/7995c-the-innocent-man-aka-nice-guy?q=nice%20guy
the channel is still here, but I am QC and live in Europe, so it may be different for you.

Thank you for the info. I must be that they no longer have the license for my region.

It is so sad to hear that some of these dramas might be gone. I have started “Jewel in the Palace” will do a marathon if I have to. It is such quality drama. It would be a shame not to have access to it. Hope that Viki gets its license extended. I recommended to people without knowing about this issue. Bummer.

1 Like

Well, their original list of 24 dramas that we were told would be expiring comes up next month. Of course when the announcement created quite a ruckus, they then came back and said that they were “renegotiating”

This is the way that I am looking at it…

If all 24 end up being lost, that tells us that they weren’t really re-negotiating … they were just blowing smoke up our collective skirt. Surely if they were really negotiating they would be able to agree on keeping at least something, especially with some of the classics on the list.

Now it is a business decision on their part and I understand that. But, in my opinion, for them to just toss so many good shows means that they place little value on all of the work volunteers do for this community. Unless someone is actually on a team working on an on-air drama, they don’t really understand the amount of work. The amount of work that goes into training people to work on shows through the Ninja Academy and Seg101 is staggering. And it is all volunteer. They say that they will be keeping the volunteers’ work in case they get the shows back later. What good is that? I would express my concern to the helpdesk but I asked a simple question about when the license expires on another show over a month ago and still have not had a reply.

So … if they all go away, I am going away too, and my last work on Viki will be here to say goodbye.

I put the notice on Jewel right at the top of the homepage. Sorry you didn’t see it. I am about to send messages again to all people who have “favorited” the channels I have to make sure they are aware.

1 Like
      Two dramas that lost their licensee within the last few weeks that are not on this list are Wild Romance and Love Rain.

And within the last few months or late last year
Baby Faced Beauty
Taming the Heir
Secret Agent Miss Oh

I still must watch some Kdrama which is listed so I decided to ask Viki for an update… not that I’m halfway watching and then poof gone…

Feel free to ask for an update too: help@viki.com

Still so annoyed that they are letting “Jewel in the Palace” go? One of the best dramas and they can’t keep it. Doesn’t even feel like they tried. Very disappointed by this. Same thing with “Coffee Prince.” :frowning:

1 Like

I just finished Coffee Prince and I must say it was very good and I cannot understand letting such a ‘classic’ go from this site. Yes, an update from Viki would be nice especially if we are getting closer to the end of some of the licenses.

3 Likes

So it’s May 2nd, it would be nice if Viki would give us an update on the dreadful license expiring dramas.

Has anyone heard anything?

Not a word.