Dual subtitles - look here

Hi @christina_,

We are in the process of publishing a list that can be used right now. In addition, you can find 2-3 titles mentioned at the end of this article.

https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/231829048-How-to-use-Learn-Mode-

I will share the list here once it is published.

Thank you.
I had tried the Lost Tomb a few days ago, but due to the scrolling bug it took me some time and a few restarts to get the button working. Iā€™ve read the bug is fixed now, so I will try again.
Also, is it possible to change the position of the subs if we want to?

Thank you kind soul! You reeeally helped me a lot :slight_smile:

Hi,
Thank you very much for making this.
My partner and I have different language backgrounds and this is a great help when we want to watch foreign language films, because we can both see subtitles in our own native languages at the same time!

However, I just installed the chrome extension but the dual subtitles will only show for 5 seconds before reverting back to single subtitle againā€¦ I have tried this a few times but each time the same problem.

I am running Windows 10 (version 1511 OS Build 10586.839) and chrome Version 57.0.2987.133

Thanks again for your work and look forward to hearing backā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s that ā€œpatchā€™sā€ error. For Korean subtitles we normally caption first. But as we edit if the subtitle is too long, we split the segment so you have KOREAN SUBTITLE blank (whereas for the same frame you will have 2 separate English subtitles).

I would love to continue to caption some series butā€¦ subtitling is a bit more in demand. :confused:

I have pushed a new version (e3f9275) to github. Please try it.

https://github.com/JoelSjogren/most

1 Like

Try to watch https://www.viki.com/videos/1055371v-pinocchio-episode-1. That gives me both English and Korean subtitles with the default configuration.

The viki player shows you the completion status (like 15% or 99%) of subtitles if you go to the settings menu at the bottom right.

If the problem persists, please give me more detailed information about the video and your css configuration (MoST -> Options).

Hi,

Thanks alot of the prompt response, I really appreciate it.

When I tried to see your link itā€™s the same problem, and i have tried to see both English / Korean as well as English / Japanese.

The video I am trying to watch is https://www.viki.com/videos/1097103v-descendants-of-the-sun-episode-1

And the languages I was trying is English / Japanese. I did manage to get it to work for about 5 seconds each time, but then it will revert back to just one language againā€¦

My settings:
.most-subtitles {
position: absolute;
width: 100%;
background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5);
font-size: 26px;
text-align: center;
color: white;
text-shadow: 1px 1px black;
}

.most-en {
bottom: 20%;
}

.most-ja {
bottom: 0%;
}

1 Like

Both of those configurations work on my machine, watching https://www.viki.com/videos/1097103v-descendants-of-the-sun-episode-1. I am using the exact same chrome version as you, but on 64-bit linux.

I will get access to a Windows 10 computer in just a minute. Hopefully I can reproduce the problem there.

What does it mean more elaborately that it ā€œworksā€ for about 5 seconds? Do you see just the Loaded 747 pages. message or does a sequence of subtitle pages appear during those ~5 seconds? Do you have to reload the page to retry or can you press the MoST button repeatedly to get partial success every time?

1 Like

It seems to work on the Windows 10 computer, though I didnā€™t get much time.

Please follow these steps to give me more information:

1. Start playing a video.
  2. Attempt to add more subtitles by clicking the MoST button.
  3. Scroll down to the very bottom of the page. You should see either NaN or a number like 1492376557560 at the bottom left. Does this value increase by several hundreds each second, or does it go up and down or is it constant? (It is a subtitle sync variable.)

Thx again.

I did initially get both subtitles after clicking the blue button (both japanese and English), but after 5 sec the 2nd subtitle goes away and itā€™s back to just one.

This only happened the first few times, but after that I have not been able to get it to show both subtitles at all. (I tried restarting etc)

Let me try it again on a different machine later today, so that I can be certain, but unfortunately I canā€™t do that straight away. I will do that asap and let you know how I go, and will also check to see if I can see the sync variable and whether its numeric value is changing.

Thx again for your prompt response and I will revert back asap.

Ps: forgot to say that when I click on the blue button it does always say loaded 747 pages, although this does not happen every time, but when I repeatedly click on it, it will eventually say loaded 747pafes.

However it still does not show the 2nd subtitle when I click on the blue button repeatedly, even when it does show loaded 747 pages.

Also, during the first few times when I did get it to work, once the 2nd subtitle disappears after a few secs I will always have to restart the browser tab in order to get the 2nd subtitles to show once again. And after the first few times, the second subtitles simply will not show at all whatsoever.

Thx once again and as mentioned in my previous post I will try it again using a different windows 10pc and let you know how I go a bit later today.

Quick Update

Hi Joelsjogren,

Quick update, I just tried to install and use the latest version from your github (e3f9275) and it works like a charm!!

Thank you so very much for your help and for making this.

As mentioned, this is a big help for my partner and I, because now we can enjoy foreign shows with both Japanese and English subtitles showing at the same time! :slight_smile:

This tool makes a huge difference, please do keep up your good work! Thank you very much once again!

Original Post:

Hi joelsjogren

I have just tried it again on another windows 10 machine with Chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit) and itā€™s exactly the same result.

When i click on the blue MoST button it does say Loaded 747 pages, but only one set of subtitles will show up. When I scroll to the bottom of the page I see NaN.

I did try this multiple times and on 2 different machines but the same result. Although on the original machine i was able to see 2 sets of subtitles after clicking on the MoST blue buttom multiple times. However it only worked for about 20 seconds (i saw both Japanese and English Subtitles) and then it reverted back to only 1 set of subtitles (the playerā€™s default one, which at the time was English).

Hope this helps.

Regards

1 Like

Hi,

I installed the extension and itā€™s displaying in the top right of my browser next to the adress bar, but it doesnā€™t seem to work when I click on it. Iā€™m using Chrome version 60.0.3112.90. I just let Chrome install the extension and did not download anything else. Do you know what went wrong?

Thanks in advance!

I am working on it.

I think I have a solution! It will be sweet, much simpler to implement, but perhaps more sensitive to future changes. Weā€™ll see. The plan is to call

html5player.player.getSubtitleLanguage()
html5player.player.setSubtitleLanguage(languageCode)

to fill vikiā€™s own subtitle cache

html5player.player.subtitle.videojs.tech_.textTracks()

and then tap into that source. No need to parse subtitle files, no need to manually sync with the video, no need for extra security precautions.

Wow! Thanks so much :smiley:

For now I need to sleep, but you can try the newest version @ github.

https://github.com/JoelSjogren/most

It works. Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

Does it also work for Japanese??
I installed the extension but it doesnā€™t seem to work :confused: