Duties of a Channel Manager and a Moderator

Apart from the criteria you stated, I would also look

1. at the moderator’s rate of completion. I mean, have a look at his/her old projects and see if all episodes are 100% complete.
  2. How many other ongoing projects does s/he have right now? (Avoiding hoarders)
1 Like

That reminds me that sometimes channels get deleted and although subtitle and segment counters are not decreasing, that history of the channels one worked on is gone with the wind. POOF!

Yes, that’s really sad. But still there will be some left, hopefully, for the CM to check!

1 Like

Just wanted to quote this and jump right into this topic. This is what I did/do.

Bascially I made a fanchannel probably 2 years ago and the movie suddenly got a license this year (basically me and my co-CM got flooded by messages because Viki didn’t even tell us beforehand this movie would ever get a license.)

I have no way to identify a good mod in a language I don’t know. (I know 2. As in I can access the quality. Mostly.) So basically if only one person asked to be mod I just gave to position to them, if more than one asked I decided by activity, wording of the message, sympathy… all that stuff. Because there is no way for me to decide on the quality of their work.

Regarding people hogging channels: Well I can not say much about that topic, but I can tell you that there are people hogging German Mod positions :smiley: When I really had time and wanted to be a mod it was pretty hard, you had to be so fast. I was lucky to get my position on “Pinocchio” and I had a lovely co-mod I still talk to this day (we actually had to ‘fight’ against each other, the CM wanted us to tell her why we would be perfect for the job and in the end she just put us both into the position. Which was pretty weird at first but turned out to be the perfect solution for both of us).

I don’t know if I’m a good channel manager, I am actually happy it’s only a movie. I am not afraid to ask though so I am glad I had a Kor-Eng team and chief editor I could rely on. I am not in the position to judge the quality of their work, as the channel manager I just make sure that their work gets done.

I guess I prefer the position of a German editor. And I also encountered people that really just… I don’t know. I have this one person in the drama I am still editing (one year later…) that just seriously can’t speak German well. Like it’s enough to understand but they neither have profound understanding of English (false friends are always translated wrong) nor do they seem to have a grasp of German grammar. I really don’t mind that in messages or conversations, but the editing is so annoying. I easily get through everything else but their parts take up soooo much time I am dreading to actually edit them. (At time I just delete their sub and completely rewrite them because it takes less time to do so…)

5 Likes

the post must be 10 characters

4 Likes

Getting back to the conversation about Moderators. As a CM, I usually check the folks asking to be Mods to see what they have signed up for. Some sign up for a lot of dramas airing at the same time. That’s usually a red flag for me.

I guess that goes back to giving everyone a chance. “First come, first served” is not always the best policy, because some Mods are a lot quicker to asking for a drama than others. For me, it is more important to have someone who can complete the project rather than just giving it to the first person who asks.

Trying to be fair is tough, because even when you think you are being far, you may miss something. But it is always good to try. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I wish everyone here at viki site was more like you, so caring and full of concern for everyone. You don’t have ‘‘favorites’’ you divide your work fairly, evenly and I know that, for I had the pleasure to work in your team (unfortunately not as much as I would love too)

I am guessing you are one of the many great CM/Moderator that gets overlooked over the ‘‘hoggers’’

You go far and beyond to help someone in need and I thank you so much for that. No matter how many questions I asked you, you never get annoyed and answer them thoroughly. You go far and beyond to help those who seek your help.

Is not bc you have helped me, I know the wonderful person you are. Is that you give your help with so much care and concern for the person that you can even feel it in the heart.

If some CM and Moderators would understand that viki site is not a competition ground maybe they could work better and give viki site more quality work like you do in every project you take.

I don’t know how this started but I know it needs to stop. viki site can not continue being a breeding ground for negative greedy people whose ego is so big they stop at nothing to get what they want.

What need is there to want to be in all the dramas? What need is there to create so much animosity bc this CM and Moderators turn their teams into rude obnoxious people that if they could they would bite you. I know because unfortunately I worked with the ‘‘hoggers’’ and it was then that I discovered the good, the bad and the ugly at viki site.

5 Likes

@xomachi Good idea to split, we needed a thread devoted exclusively to this as there is lots to say!
But I think you might want to also include, from that thread, posts
29 30,31,34, 35

Starting from moonandstars:
"Actually, just curious, what do you guys feel is a manageable amount of channels to CM/Moderate/segment/subtitle?

and finishing with amypun’s:
According to one of the Chief Editors I frequently work with, you should make an effort to commit as much as you can manage.

What do you think?

1 Like

@anon27228197 @kris_o These are the things we look at when we consider what it means to be a good channel manager.

Actually, just curious, what do you guys feel is a manageable amount of channels to CM/Moderate/segment/subtitle?

I mean, with the Viki guidelines, you could be CM of 3, Moderator of 4, and Subtitle/Segment as many as you’d like. But with so many, you’re only going to pop in and say hi and be on your way. So what is a manageable amount to do so that you’ll be able to do your part in each?

Right now, juggling other commitments and volunteering, I can probably squeeze subtitling 2-3 on-air shows (perhaps a part or a portion of a part each?) per week, but if I’m doing t-editing, I can only focus on one project (unless I need a break from it, then I might help with another show).

Given, this isn’t a lot, because previously, I was able to do 3 on-air and sub the equivalent of 4-5 episodes per week.

So what would be a fair amount of projects to commit at one point? And what would be considered as a fair amount of contribution? Like if I join 5 shows and for each, I am only available to contribute 10-20 lines per week, should I not join then?

3 Likes

Well it obviously depends on the person, how much free time each of one has, right?
Personally I cannot deal with more than two on-air shows as a moderator, because I also do all the editing and the feedback notes to members (not to each member each episode, but at least a couple of such messages each episode) which take an awful lot of time.
(If I were a CM with good editors and didn’t involve myself with editing at all, I suppose I could take more. But it would be no fun, I never do it so it’s no for me.)
As a translator, I might add one or two episode parts a week (either two in one show or one each in two shows).
That’s about it, for on-air stuff, and it’s already a lot.
Then of course there are the ongoing older projects, which I only tackle in the weekend, slowly, a little bit at a time.

How much contribution is expected in each team is something to be cleared with the moderator before starting.

• The English teams… well, we all know how they work. They go in and out of episode parts when they are free and they sub as much as they can, marking the percentages on Team Discussion

• Most non-English teams I have seen will ask of subbers to contribute 1 part per week (if it’s a 12-person team) or 2 parts per week (if it’s a 6-person team).

• I have seen Spanish and French teams which are very big, and when the new episode is released, they volunteer: “I’ll take part 1”, “I’ll take part 2” etc. Since there are 6 parts and typically more than 20 Spanish subbers, it means that many of them don’t contribute at all during one week.

• The way I work is more similar to the way English teams work. We have a spreadsheet, we translate continuously, and each person can enter, putting her name near the part, percentage in percentage out, so that the next person knows where to continue from. I try to have a 12-person team and some of them don’t contribute at all one week, or half a part or less, and may contribute more the next week.

• There is a friend of mine here, a very busy moderator, who, whenever she likes the series I moderate, asks me to put her in my team with the understanding that she will come to translate if and whenever she can - and I am in one or two of her teams with a similar understanding.

So you see, there are many different formats. It all depends on the moderator’s preference.
As for your last question… If you asked me if it would be ok to come even for only 10-20 lines per week, it would depend on how desperate I was for subbers. LOL!

2 Likes

4-5 eps a week is a lot!!!

I am like you. My maximums are quite like yours. If I have a translation editing project I say no thank you to all others, unless they are fine with me only spot fixing when I HAPPEN to see something while translating. I think for me about 3 shows total is about my max. Unlimited # of segging projects!

The Korean shows (unfortunately I only speak Korean) get finished quite fast so if I took say 4 or 5 or more, I would seriously never get to them because they’re all done by the time I get to them.

When I used to do 14 hrs of viki daily…I could do 3 translation editing projects. Editing an episode took me on average 6 hrs. People give me moderator so that I could go in and fix things whenever I please on a project. (a lot of the “projects” I am on are lies. I consult one-liners for editors because they ask. Do check my profile page that is accurate.) I’m not too picky (only with consistency. I’d rather we name something X and continue to use X through the series, or find the “official English” for stuff so that everyone knows what it is and we are on same page). I don’t go over other people’s work unless specifically requested. I do go over some other subtitler/editor’s work if they were the only one to do it. We all need editing and more eyes are better.

For CGWM808 if you contribute at least 1 line yes you have contributed good for you! But let’s say that you’re running like more than 38 subtitlers…then the question becomes are you really on the team??? I once got 2nd place (overall for total number of subtitlers) because I would show up whenever the chief asked me to. The #1 subtitler did more than 20,000 in a 16 ep series. This person at times would do the entire episode by themselves. I think I did like 600 total for that show maybe a bit over 300. I got 2nd bar none.

@irmar lol I am like the person in your last bullet point for CGWM808. I do this for her and joysprite even for shows that have ended months ago. If I find anything I list and ask them to fix. I have been given a moderator privilege or subtitler so that I can go in and fix myself.

5 Likes

It depends on your working schedule etc how much you can manage but looking at how much work goes into managing I would say 3 is about max someone should take but if you are busy with school or work 1 or 2 might be better. For mod & segger and sub someone can take over when you can’t make it as a CM you have some powers nobody in your team has so you have to be there for your team more and monitor more to see if everything goes smoothly.

4 Likes

According to one of the Chief Editors I frequently work with, you should make an effort to commit as much as you can manage. The minimum contribution for a 20 episode drama is about 300 subtitles or segments to be considered sufficient to be recognized on the show. As a show typically lasts about 10 weeks, that averages out to about 30 lines of subtitles per week.

For me, I can assure you that maximum 3 to 4 projects at a time for segmenting is my target. I usually watch over the segmenting work as the Chief Segmenter rather than segmenting the show myself. This could ensure adequate opportunity for new segmenting graduates of NSSA to develop themselves into experienced segmenters. The reason being was there have been situations where certain Channel Managers questioned the capability of a new segmenting graduate for live-dramas and silently removed them from the team without explanation. It really hurt the self-esteem of the segmenter that was removed without notice. Hopefully, new Channel Managers out there can trust our new Ninja Academy graduate segmenters as they have properly trained through a rigorous regime over a period of weeks to months. Please encourage their participation by giving them chances to develop their skills on your projects. Discriminatory language and deprivation of opportunity are rude and disrespectful toward these newly trained segmenters.

10 Likes

Sure thing. Just moved the set of replies over.

2 Likes

Time to bump this up. It’s getting buried under all the questions on posts lately. Anyway, I do hope we can all continue this conversation. I believe we can all learn and improve from each other’s experiences as CMs and Moderators. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bumping this thread up because it’s so important. To be honest, never been a CM before, but I’m co-managing my first channel now. Been an english moderator before though :smiley: I think it differs from CM to CM what they expect of an english moderator.

1 Like

Yes that’s true. There are some basic things a moderator does such as:

• Notify the seggers/ original -> english subbers when an ep is uploaded/fully segged.
  • Keep an eye on the comment sections.
  • Moderate the Timed Comments
  • Notify the other language moderators when an episode is ready to be subbed in their language.

Some CM’s decide to do some duties themselves like when I’m a CM I notify the other language mods if I don’t forget. I mostly assign mods to notifying seggers/subbers. And other duties ar for all mods and I keep an eye on it too.

Most likely I forget some things when it comes to English moderating as some CM’s request more help from mod’s then others.

When it comes to other language moderators they are fully in charge of their language from recruiting other subbers to the actual subbing, editing etc as well as checking the comment sections to see if there are messages. Most use spreadsheets to keep things organized in their language team, some like to use team discussion like the English team and I heard some even use messaging apps like kakaotalk. As a CM it doesn’t matter to me how they manage their team as long as they stick to the guidelines and the subs are done eventually. And I encourage mods to not do the job alone but for some languages it’s hard to find subbers to help you out.

2 Likes

As the moderator you need at first a good team of subtitlers. Good means for me, reliable, have enough free time for Viki, good quality subs, good team work. I prefer someone, who is reliable and provides good subs over someone, who writes excellent subs, but always is late and you must always remind him/her for the subs. The moderator has to translate the synopsis, create a coverpage in the respective language, I skip this sometimes, because I’m not so skilled, but I take the challenge, if I must. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: German teams always have a groupchat at Kakaotalk and as the moderator I always have a google doc with the rules, the cast, the parts with deadline for the subbers and the OST lyrics. Which will be updated within the progress of the drama. I have to answer questions, be active within the groupchat discussions and I’m watching over the comment section of the channel page. And I should answer incoming questions and messages from the viewers. I have to look over the progress of the subs, if necessary look for a substitute, if one of my subbers cannot translate his/her part in time and maybe jump in, if no one can take over in a short time. I’m an active moderator and always translate my own parts. Mostly, I’m the editor,too, because it’s quite difficult to find german moderators and I like to be the editor, too.

I’m pretty sure, I forgot something important!

6 Likes

Encouraging participation is a wonderful thing. However, as a relatively new Ninja graduate segmenter (last November), I strongly feel that one shouldn’t have an on-air drama as one’s first project. Better start with older dramas where there is much less pressure to perform quickly.
New graduates have all the training they need to do an excellent job, but they tend to be slow. (I have talked to other ones, so I know it wasn’t only me!) If they immediately apply for an on-air drama, where everybody is screaming “Aren’t the subs out yet”, they’d be stressed out and sometimes would do a sloppy work to keep up with the super-fast experienced segmenters on the team: which is a bad habit formed, cancelling all the careful grooming we all got from our fantastic senseis.
Therefore, from the new ninja’s point of view I think it is unwise (not to mention arrogant) to apply for on-air as soon as you graduate. Like getting one’s driving licence and the day after taking part on a race or going on a trip on a highway. The thing a young and immature person would do. Get some experience on two or three older dramas, and then do what you like.

3 Likes