Expiring Licenses

Kocowa TV is only available in North America & South America as of now, accordin to the website. According to this article from the Korea Herald:

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170717000786

Kocowa is launching for American viewers now and has plans to expand to other parts of the world in the future. If the liscenses are being lost solely because of Kocowa then I should think that it would only affect North & South America liscenses. Viki should still be able to renew liscenses for other parts of the world-Europe, Middle East, Asia, etc. since it will probably be a while before they expand beyond North & South America. This may be why they are still having Viki and DF as partners, along with the fact liscenses for many of their dramas haven’t expired yet. In addition they have to honor the deals they made with Viki before Kocowa launched on July 17. For example, new drama School 2017 is available here on Viki as well as Kocowa.
And who knows, Viki may still be able to renew The Americas liscenses for some of these dramas. I went ahead and sent requests in. Don’t the networks still get $$ for liscense to Viki and DF? Why cut off that revenue stream for the older dramas? Looking at Kocowa website, they seem to be emphasizing the new dramas.

1 Like

https://www.viki.com/tv/10704c-school-2013?q=school%2013 lost its licence in Europe as well. Yesterday night was working, today doesn’t.

2 Likes

I also live in Europe and I can still access the titles you mentioned. I only got the message for Swallow the Sun, but yesterday and today I can still watch it.

So maybe it´s a warning for these dramas that they´re already expired in other regions and will expire soon in Europe as well.

1 Like

But… for me it’s still available? LOL, maybe they don’t care about Poland so much that they forgot to cut off an access. :joy:

1 Like

awesome i will use hola after all thank you for letting me know

Normally I am not looking at the discussion at day, but anyway …

Did everyone get the “We are interested in you!” survey?

NOW they are asking, if you watch anywhere outside Viki - I don’t, okay maybe one daily drama at KBS YT channel, that’s about it.

Am I interested in Asian content? - Yes, it is fact that those dramas are the only once I follow from episode 1 till the end.

What Asian content am I interested in? - Japanese dramas were listed , I had to add Korean dramas and thought about Thai Lakorn.

Where do I live? Germany, yes, Europe that is and a market as it seems of little interest, since every content owner just looking for the American market and says we want to extent our viewership to Europe in the next future, that might actually true but no one knows, when that future will be.

1 Like

wtf…
School and gumiho -.-

2 Likes

I watched the Missing Nine (and regretted it, but that’s another story) on df. For some reason, that specific drama was available here.

Yes, I really did see the survey!

1 Like

so no chnages for europs to watch on this side…

solch eine kacke -.-

1 Like

DF subtitles are really bad! I used to watch their video promotion about “Strong Woman Do Bong Soon”. It’s really :-1:t3::-1:t3::-1:t3::-1:t4:. They just try to “Americanize” their subs! :unamused: I don’t know why but I like subtitles translated by fans here!

10 Likes

@lutra ich hab das ausversehen weggeklickt.weißt du, ob das evtl nochmal aufkommt?

the good Thing is they ad korean stuff, here arent coming much from there anymoe and no new stuff.
but ist shity when you cant watch, cause you live in the wrong Country. is it my fail to life in europe?

1 Like

@teufelchen_netty_266
Keine Ahnung, vielleicht ausloggen und wieder einloggen? Wenn du nicht registriert bist kommt es vielleicht nochmal … Keine Garantie

I feel like I should ask Viki for a parting gift, how about Choi Min Soo and Kim Nam Gil?
Of course I only ask for their new dramas …
I feel so forsaken.

2 Likes

@nanamiiii, @emmelie96 I probably has something to do with the time difference we have from the USA. I believe in a couple of hours the rest of the European countries will lose their licence as well.

Yes, I know. I disagree with people who say “I just want to know what’s going on!”, but they seem to be the majority…

It’s funny how people keep pointing out to me that viki subs are better, when I’m one of the people supporting good subs here and not “something of a translation”…

LOL if it was about the time the sun rises earlier in Europe, so we would lose the access earlier.
But most of the time something happens “worldwide” it happens at that moment, no matter which time it is at any of our residences.
But it was also buggy, I couldn’t even access PROSECUTOR PRINCESS the other day the famous room 404 opened its door for me …
But later it was fine again.
I don’t even try to fathom anymore what I should think.
I just try to watch what is possible and to save the good memories I had at this place it feels like viki is becoming like Atlantis, lost in the waters of content owners, who don’t care about communities like this. And viki seems as if it couldn’t keep up with its own old identity, everyone is just after the money and who am I to blame them. But it still sucks to be on the losing end.

Modern dramas maybe “okay” but historical dramas maybe worst because it really takes times, but subs are done 1 - 2 hours, not make sense! :thinking:

I don’t think so. I still have an access to all of the dramas mentioned as expiried before - Swallow The Sun, Trot Lovers, Protect The Boss, Coffee Prince, Prosecutor Princess. And I think it’s been even more than 24 hours, while the time difference with America is like 6-9 hours.